Weren’t Pinnacles in the suite lounge before Covid?

Tenderpaw

On 11/8/2022 at 12:17 PM, HicksRA said:

I guess If a Pin wants assured access to the SL, he/she can always book a suite….

It seems to me that most are well healed individuals who spent a lot of money to achieve the goal but now want to book a $300 inside cabin and be treated like royalty. 

In the world I live in, I have never been well-heeled, and spent 49 years achieving Pinnacle level.  I enjoyed the Suite Lounge and CK on the Allure, but equally enjoyed the DL on the Enchantment, which had a Concierge Lounge for Suite and Pinnacle passengers.  

The thing is, I don't want to go into a noisy, crowded lounge,  so wherever they tell me I can go for some less noisy relaxation, that's where I go.  RCCL also provides a quieter place for breakfast, and if it's CK, Chops, Solarium Bistro, I appreciate it all.

To me, it's got nothing to do with whatever I've paid over the years for reaching Pinnacle, and therefore have "earned" / "paid" for certain privileges.  For me it's got everything to do with relaxing with some extra perks that RCCL has graciously allowed me to have for being a loyal customer. 

Edited by pcur
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

yep... the two /three day cruises were the way to move up the tier quickly  

Yeah.  A 3 night cruise in a suite back then was 2 points.  Four of those a month was 8 points.  That was 8% of the way there in a month if it was 100 points to make pinnacle, which I think was mentioned on another thread.  Now it takes 56 points to be 8% there.  You now get 24 points for four 3 night cruises in a suite.  So it was about twice as easy for folks that did 3 and 4 night cruises.  Back then local folks that worked could still easily do extended weekend trips via 3 and 4 night cruises regularly.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yeah.  A 3 night cruise in a suite back then was 2 points.  Four of those a month was 8 points.  That was 8% of the way there in a month if it was 100 points to make pinnacle, which I think was mentioned on another thread.  Now it takes 56 points to be 8% there.  You now get 24 points for four 3 night cruises in a suite.  So it was about twice as easy for folks that did 3 and 4 night cruises.  Back then local folks that worked could still easily do extended weekend trips via 3 and 4 night cruises regularly.  

Way back then it was credits, not points.  Any cruise less than 9 or 10 nights, forget which, got one credit.  Suites got two credits.  When the conversion from credits to points happened, each credit got 7 points and then a "fudge factor" depending on you level at the time.  Those with a lot of 3 or 4 night cruises did great.  Those with longer cruises lost out.  Some it actually took longer to reach next level because of how the numbers worked.  Many who did the 3 nighters in Florida and California were very happy.

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

yep... the two /three day cruises were the way to move up the tier quickly  

Personally I think that number is highly overstated. I think we had 4 or 5. And 3 of them were Diamond in December, so we were allready Diamond by then. 

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Suites didn't originally get a bonus point. That was a change, same as adding a point if 12 days and longer

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

Another believe it or not story concerning duck tape. Reader's Digest version. On our September cruise we didn't need it (right on!) but met a couple who said one of a their suitcases got damaged during their flight. Needless to say, duck tape man to the rescue. Then we told them our non Reader's Digest version of our nightmare in March. And guess who this couple had the misfortune of flying with that caused the damage to their suitcase?! Bingo, Jetblue or as I now so lovingly refer to them as Jetbarf. Ya just can't make this stuff up. 😃

OMG...too funny.   Yes, my lady's duct tape is of course...pink!  Have used it on various things this cruise already.  Works to hold the "boil and fry" bag together as well.  😉 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Thought we were talking Quantum Class

Sorry...got Wonder on the brain.  😉 Bouncing around in the squally seas right now on the way home.   

Wish Laura was here.  Coffee machine in the SL is broken this morning, and I can't fix it.  The DL is out of milk in one machine, and the other is broken.  Ughh...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, davekathy said:

I do that and I'm not even pinnacle. 🤣

One of the reasons we think alike.  😄  Your bro is playing games on his Kindle right now as we "enjoy" the rocking and rolling of open seas (Thanks a lot Nicole).  😉 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, topnole said:

If the idea is that staff will treat you better, no thanks.  They will treat me just fine because I treat them with kindness and respect.  I don’t go around flashing my star class card or wear it on a lanyard when I’m traveling star class.  Nor do I try show my diamond plus part on my card (because who cares) when I’m in an inside cabin.   I’m certainly not going to wear a badge when I’m on vacation.  Again, I just don’t get why anyone does this.  Doesn’t annoy me at all. 

Oh yeah, that's obvious.  😉 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

I can fix a broken beak with it.🤣

Bucky is using his clear tape to keep his sea pass card from peeling.  I already had to replace mine for this TA.  Still works when it peels, but staff can't read it for using vouchers....hmmm...maybe I should let it peel?  😉 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Bucky is using his clear tape to keep his sea pass card from peeling.  I already had to replace mine for this TA.  Still works when it peels, but staff can't read it for using vouchers....hmmm...maybe I should let it peel?  😉 

Went through 4 on Mariner 8 day

I wonder how many for the UWC🤔

21 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

Royal does have a system. If the Pinnacle count is less than 30 they are allowed into the SL

Yes, and from what I've read and seen myself, they make every effort to substitute something that is equal/near equal for their Pinnacles.  It's not the NAME of the venue, it's the EXPERIENCE of the venue.

On 11/10/2022 at 6:50 AM, island lady said:

Oh yeah, that's obvious.  😉 

I think you are experiencing quite a bit of cognitive dissonance on this issue.  That’s ok.   It’s quite natural to deflect and ignore information in such a situation.  Telling oneself that others are annoyed due to envy is just a way for the mind to find equilibrium between the behavior and feelings and thus reduce stress, anxiety, shame, etc. depending upon on the person and the situation.  

I would find it baffling to think any adult wouldn’t ponder whether it would be silly to wear a badge.  I certainly laughed when I saw the Diamond and D plus pins.  I would never wear those.  I’m more than. certain any pinnacle has out at least a little thought into it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topnole said:

I think you are experiencing quite a bit of cognitive dissonance on this issue.  That’s ok.   It’s quite natural to deflect and ignore information in such a situation.  Telling oneself that others are annoyed due to envy is just a way for the mind to find equilibrium between the behavior and feelings and thus reduce stress, anxiety, shame, etc. depending upon on the person and the situation.  

I would find it baffling to think any adult wouldn’t ponder whether it would be silly to wear a badge.  I certainly laughed when I saw the Diamond and D plus pins.  I would never wear those.  I’m more than. certain any pinnacle has out at least a little thought into it.  

Uh..huh...just wow.   🙄  Perhaps time to move on?   This matter seems to be a problem for you.  

Have you ever heard the term "live and let live".  Probably not.  😉 

21 minutes ago, island lady said:

Uh..huh...just wow.   🙄  Perhaps time to move on?   This matter seems to be a problem for you.  

Have you ever heard the term "live and let live".  Probably not.  😉 

Oh I don’t mind what people wear as long as it isn’t a health issue for others.  And certainly no sweat off my back if someone wears a name tag or a pin. Everyone could wear a badge onboard and it wouldn’t annoy me one bit.  I would find it very odd, but it wouldn’t bother me one but.  

All I’m doing is chiming in on an ongoing thread in which it was discussed.  You could also move on, but you felt the need to suggest people wearing a Pinnacle badge annoy me (simply because I said I find it silly) so I commented back.  So let’s agree you are most certainly doing your best to want me to be annoyed by your badge (ie. Poking the bear).   I’m not annoyed at all and as I said your reply to me is easily explained by cognitive dissonance.  So I certainly understand why you are trying to argue I’m annoyed.  

I did a Transatlantic where a woman sat a few tables down (she was certainly European and likely French by her accent) and she wore the same outfit to dinner every single night.  After a few nights every one around we met at dinner was talking about it.   Now did it annoy any us?  Not that I’m aware of, but it was entertaining to see if she would actually do it again each night.  Lots of people were taking about it.  Don’t confuse annoyance with other feelings.  None of use felt annoyed, but we certainly questioned why an adult women (who could afford a long cruise) would do that.     

Edited by topnole

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

Oh I don’t mind what people wear as long as it isn’t a health issue for others.  And certainly no sweat off my back if someone wears a name tag or a pin. Everyone could wear a badge onboard and it wouldn’t annoy me one bit.  I would find it very odd, but it wouldn’t bother me one but.  

All I’m doing is chiming in on an ongoing thread in which it was discussed.  You could also move on, but you felt the need to suggest people wearing a Pinnacle badge annoy me (simply because I said I find it silly) so I commented back.  So let’s agree you are most certainly doing your best to want me to be annoyed by your badge (ie. Poking the bear).   I’m not annoyed at all and as I said your reply to me is easily explained by cognitive dissonance.  So I certainly understand why you are trying to argue I’m annoyed.  

I did a Transatlantic where a woman sat a few tables down (she was certainly European and likely French by her accent) and she wore the same outfit to dinner every single night.  After a few nights every one around we met at dinner was talking about it.   Now did it annoy any us?  Not that I’m aware of, but it was entertaining to see if she would actually do it again each night.  Lots of people were taking about it.  Don’t confuse annoyance with other feelings.  None of use felt annoyed, but we certainly questioned why an adult women (who could afford a long cruise) would do that.     

Once again...time to move on.  This subject is causing you too much stress.  Live and let live, chill, breath...practice your yoga.  Lower your blood pressure.  Ouummm...Oummmm...  😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Once again...time to move on.  This subject is causing you too much stress.  Live and let live, chill, breath...practice your yoga.  Lower your blood pressure.  Ouummm...Oummmm...  😉 

Back at you.  I’m fine and breathing easy. Your reply is yet again classic cognitive dissonance.  Perhaps some yoga and self reflection will help you understand what I’m saying.  Cognitive dissonance is a very interesting psychological phenomenon and quite prevalent in all of us.  I think you find many instances of “cruise” behavior in everyone that match well to the concept.  

• Haha 1