Did anyone else get Covid on the Discovery 10/29 Halloween Cruise?

1emerald1

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

This is why I still home test the day of my cruises ... just in case I am carrying CoVid but have no symptoms.  I wish everyone would do the same even though the home test kits are not foolproof.  I thought going for my test three days prior was a pain .. but it would be nice if all cruiselines strongly encouraged the home testing the morning of one's cruise.  

I home test before visiting someone’s house or going out to eat with friends. I can’t imagine getting on a cruise ship without doing so. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I home test before visiting someone’s house or going out to eat with friends. I can’t imagine getting on a cruise ship without doing so. 

I did self-test before the cruise, negative. Got it onboard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ciera123 said:

Just curious as to how many are still masking? 

We were on the October 15th Discovery, it was the first cruise that the crew were not required to mask.  Best guess from both passengers and crew was maybe 5%.  

We were on this cruise and now hubby has a cold. He's still negative for COVID so maybe it is just a cold? I'm keeping my distance just to make sure I don't get it since I have a procedure scheduled for next week.

We wore our masks in the elevators because they were so crowded at all hours of the day and night. And generally we kept our distance from most people, but we did a cooking class in PV with 4 other folks (and the chef, his wife, and an assistant) and a hot springs tour in Mazatlan with two others, but that was in a very crowded taxi.

Then there was the flight home. So many opportunities to catch it and we weren't as diligent as we were back in May. Hopefully, it's just a cold for hubby and nothing else. I worry with his asthma that COVID could be quite serious even though he is triple boosted.

We did meet a couple, quite a bit older than us, who were on board who were not vaxxed. I will hope for their sake's that they didn't catch it.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, 1emerald1 said:

I disembarked on Saturday and started feeling sick yesterday.  Started with a real bad sore throat, then cough, then fever, then shivering. I tested positive this morning.  Probably my fault, I got lax with masking up.  The ship was full, and the elevators were crammed with people talking non-stop.   And I got my 5th booster shortly before the cruise.

I intend to write a short review with the highlights and lowlights but will wait until I'm not so foggy.

Was on the cruise and came back with sore throat and cough.

Tested 2X and negative. I think what ever it is it is getting a lot of people

14 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We do the same, especially after disembarking from a cruise, which we do quite often.  We also take a few kits with us and test mid cruise for anything 7+ days.  
We don’t want to be the ones that spreads it to others that might be at higher risk than we are.  

• Like 2

I am not feeling better and my dr. office referred me to the infectious disease dept. for monoclonal antibody infusion.  Got a call this morning that I qualify. I will start Remdesever infusions for 3 days in a row, starting today.  Am not looking forward to driving down to San Diego on a holiday weekend!!

49 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I am not feeling better and my dr. office referred me to the infectious disease dept. for monoclonal antibody infusion.  Got a call this morning that I qualify. I will start Remdesever infusions for 3 days in a row, starting today.  Am not looking forward to driving down to San Diego on a holiday weekend!!

I am very sorry to hear that you got Covid.  I hope that you feel better soon.

Some flowers for you.🌺🌻🌼🌷

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, the booster would have worked well if given the 2 -3 weeks required for the antibodies to build.  

On 11/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, 1emerald1 said:

I got my fifth booster 3 weeks before this cruise.

@1emerald1 - Hope today's infusion went well. Thanks for sharing your experience. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

• Like 1

I'm sorry I missed that post.  Covid is a very persistent virus and seems to pick and choose its hosts.  I did not intend to imply that there was any wrong doing.  We do what we can and have no real control over why someone catches Covid and others do not.  

Lots of well wishes.  Thank you for taking us along on your recovery.  Everyone is pulling for you.  💐

On 11/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, 1emerald1 said:

I got my fifth booster 3 weeks before this cruise.

@1emerald1 - Hope today's infusion went well. Thanks for sharing your experience. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

Edited by cr8tiv1

Hmmmm.  Am certainly sorry that anyone is sick.  Found the discussion interesting.  The reason being that hospitals here are pretty much full from a virulent flu, children with RSV and mostly adults that according to one hospital contracted both flu and covid.

As togetting covid on board.  Am sure with the number of people on board that some were ill when they boarded, some went off ship and got it there, and some were infected on the way home.

Increase the number of contacts with others and you increase the opportunity for ALL the stuff going around.  Flu here is nasty and spreading.  Possibly because few have gotten fly shots and there was little flu during covid as we stayed home most of the time.

I hope the treatments are helping and that you'll be all healed up soon.

My husband did actually contract COVID. He's finishing up his paxlovid and doing remarkably well (we've always been worried about him getting it because of his asthma). Somehow I did not get it.

COVID is weird. It can be so contagious and yet there will always be someone who doesn't get it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I hope the treatments are helping and that you'll be all healed up soon.

My husband did actually contract COVID. He's finishing up his paxlovid and doing remarkably well (we've always been worried about him getting it because of his asthma). Somehow I did not get it.

COVID is weird. It can be so contagious and yet there will always be someone who doesn't get it.

Thanks, hope your husband gets better.  I could not take Paxlovid because it interacts with another med I'm on.

• Like 1