Did anyone else get Covid on the Discovery 10/29 Halloween Cruise?

1emerald1

I disembarked on Saturday and started feeling sick yesterday.  Started with a real bad sore throat, then cough, then fever, then shivering. I tested positive this morning.  Probably my fault, I got lax with masking up.  The ship was full, and the elevators were crammed with people talking non-stop.   And I got my 5th booster shortly before the cruise.

I intend to write a short review with the highlights and lowlights but will wait until I'm not so foggy.

• Like 2

Sorry you had to experience this.  I got it just a couple of days off the Discovery after an Alaskan cruise back in August.  These days you can pretty well guarantee that:

1) somebody got on the ship with Covid

2) someone brought it back from an excursion

3) a crew member has it and they have not yet caught it via they're testing regimen.  (And I'm just *assuming* that this testing is still taking place for the crew.  I would hope that this is not just lip service being doled out by the marketing department!)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I disembarked on Saturday and started feeling sick yesterday.  Started with a real bad sore throat, then cough, then fever, then shivering. I tested positive this morning.  Probably my fault, I got lax with masking up.  The ship was full, and the elevators were crammed with people talking non-stop.   And I got my 5th booster shortly before the cruise.

I intend to write a short review with the highlights and lowlights but will wait until I'm not so foggy.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. We embarked on 10/26 also, and now still on the ship. Will disembark on 11/14.  The current 5-day cruise also full and I was told the next 4 days cruise (11/10-11/14) also full. We double-masked all the time. Also tested ourself with the home kit every 4 days. So far we are okay, and hope will remain that way. 

• Like 5

I think you can pretty much assume to any vacation area with crowds there is a chance of getting covid. We caught it on the southbound leg of a b2b in Alaska and my sisters family all got it visiting Disney World. Almost everyone I know has had it at least once

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Sorry you are ill.  We were on the week before you and several folks on FB groups have reported testing positive upon returning home.  Thankfully DH and I are fine.  Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1emerald1 said:

Have you had the latest strain of Covid in 2022? Everyone will catch it at some point. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I hope you feel better soon. Stay hydrated (ER doc told me Gatorade was great). If you feel like you need an inhaler make sure you seek medical help right away. Get a pulse oxygen reader so you can keep track of your oxygen levels.  Get well soon!

Thank you, I have an inhaler for occasional asthma, will place a delivery order and add Gatorade to it.  So far, I am able to breathe through my nose, hope it stays that way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I hope you feel better soon. Stay hydrated (ER doc told me Gatorade was great). If you feel like you need an inhaler make sure you seek medical help right away. Get a pulse oxygen reader so you can keep track of your oxygen levels.  Get well soon!

I carry powder gatorade on all trips to stay hydrated. Works great.

• Like 3

@1emerald1 Thanks for checking in.  I am sorry to hear that you brought back an unwanted souvenir.  This is a result of non-pre-cruise testing and shorter cruises (incubation time).  But I disagree with "everyone is going to catch Covid".

I've done 5 cruises since the restart and have been able to leave the ship without catching covid.  I am still wearing my mask.  I am still socially distancing.  I am still continuing the same practices I did during the pandemic (including testing).  Not quite the way I would like live my life, but am not willing to risk the alternative.  Each person has to do what is comfortable for themselves.  I do not impose these restrictions on anyone but myself.  

A wish for a speedy recovery and comfort.  Malama Pono

9 hours ago, memoak said:

I think you can pretty much assume to any vacation area with crowds there is a chance of getting covid. We caught it on the southbound leg of a b2b in Alaska and my sisters family all got it visiting Disney World. Almost everyone I know has had it at least once

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry you had to experience this.  I got it just a couple of days off the Discovery after an Alaskan cruise back in August.  These days you can pretty well guarantee that:

1) somebody got on the ship with Covid

2) someone brought it back from an excursion

3) a crew member has it and they have not yet caught it via they're testing regimen.  (And I'm just *assuming* that this testing is still taking place for the crew.  I would hope that this is not just lip service being doled out by the marketing department!)

• Like 8

15 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Hope you feel better soon. I just got my 5th shot (3rd booster) a month ago in the hope that it would offer a bit more protection on our cruise in a few weeks. I guess there are no guarantees!

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@1emerald1   This is a result of non-pre-cruise testing and shorter cruises (incubation time). 

I am not sure I fully agree that it is due to no more pre-cruise testing as even with the testing people were getting covid. onboard. You could test 3 days prior, and either be too early to in the incubation to test positive,  or you could be infected between being tested and boarding the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

I am not sure I fully agree that it is due to no more pre-cruise testing as even with the testing people were getting covid. onboard. You could test 3 days prior, and either be too early to in the incubation to test positive,  or you could be infected between being tested and boarding the ship.

This is why I still home test the day of my cruises ... just in case I am carrying CoVid but have no symptoms.  I wish everyone would do the same even though the home test kits are not foolproof.  I thought going for my test three days prior was a pain .. but it would be nice if all cruiselines strongly encouraged the home testing the morning of one's cruise.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. We embarked on 10/26 also, and now still on the ship. Will disembark on 11/14.  The current 5-day cruise also full and I was told the next 4 days cruise (11/10-11/14) also full. We double-masked all the time. Also tested ourself with the home kit every 4 days. So far we are okay, and hope will remain that way. 

Just curious as to how many are still masking? 

We returned from the 10/29 Discovery trip. About 95 to 98% of the people did not have masks on. There were more people holding wet, snotty kleenexes and sniffling than were wearing masks.

We used mask whenever out and about, except for eating, and tested ourselves the day after and then 3 days back - all negative and we feel better than after most trips. Knock on wood.  Maybe the drink package provided protection?  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Hope you feel better soon. I just got my 5th shot (3rd booster) a month ago in the hope that it would offer a bit more protection on our cruise in a few weeks. I guess there are no guarantees!

No, unfortunately not.  I got my fifth booster 3 weeks before this cruise.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaDon said:

We returned from the 10/29 Discovery trip. About 95 to 98% of the people did not have masks on. There were more people holding wet, snotty kleenexes and sniffling than were wearing masks.

We used mask whenever out and about, except for eating, and tested ourselves the day after and then 3 days back - all negative and we feel better than after most trips. Knock on wood.  Maybe the drink package provided protection?  

Well I totally let my guard down and drank the KoolAid.  I always wear a mask but, on this cruise, since they dropped all Covid requirements and like you say, no one else was masking, I followed the crowd.

• Like 1

We also were on this great Halloween cruise.  We did not take any excursions, but did get off the

ship.  We were talking on the way home how "healthy" this cruise was.  We do not wear masks.

Hoping any of you that are ill have a rapid recovery and are sailing again soon.