Summit: new cruiser questions drinks

boopuff

We're cruising on the Summit in a month!  Very excited.  I have a few questions about the drink package.  We purchased the AI package.  Pre-paid all our gratuities.  When we order a drink, using the package, I read we will be paying an automatic gratuity.  Does that go along with the pre=paid?  Or will each and every drink be charged 20%?  Will that percentage be billed to our room?  And on embarkation day are bars open when you get onboard?  Or do we have to wait a bit.  If we opt to swim, where do we change since our room won't be ready.  (We have a 10:30 embarkation time).  We're staying consierge, when is that lunch? Is it the day we sail or another day?  So confused!

5 minutes ago, boopuff said:

We're cruising on the Summit in a month!  Very excited.  I have a few questions about the drink package.  We purchased the AI package.  Pre-paid all our gratuities.  When we order a drink, using the package, I read we will be paying an automatic gratuity.  Does that go along with the pre=paid?  Or will each and every drink be charged 20%?  Will that percentage be billed to our room?  And on embarkation day are bars open when you get onboard?  Or do we have to wait a bit.  If we opt to swim, where do we change since our room won't be ready.  (We have a 10:30 embarkation time).  We're staying consierge, when is that lunch? Is it the day we sail or another day?  So confused!

You already paid for the gratuities when you purchased the AI drink package. Most bars will be open. You can always change in the gym spa changing and shower room located on deck 10. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

The bars will be open when you board, not all of them but certain ones. 

You will not be charged anything additional for any drinks that are covered by your drink package.  Assuming you have the classic package, any drink up to $9.00 is included.  If you order a drink not covered by your package, you will be charged the difference in price plus a gratuity fee on the price difference.  

You are allowed to go to your rooms upon boarding and drop off carry on luggage and can do a quick change of clothes then.  If you room is not ready then you can leave and come back. 

IIRC the Concierge lunch is served in the Main Dining room.  

• Like 2

The gratuities are included in the drink package so you don't need to pay.  If you have the Classic package and order something over $9, you will be charged the difference plus gratuity and that will go on your shipboard account.  Some bars are open on embarkation.  We have always gone straight to the Martini Bar when we board to upgrade from Classic to Premium. The Sunset Bar (aft) is usually open along with the Mast Bar and of course the Pool Bar.   We don't have to do that on our upcoming March cruise because we were able to get the Premium included in our fare.  There is a changing room area inside the solarium.  It's a restroom with changing room facilities.  When you board, you can go straight to your room to drop off carry on luggage even if the room isn't completely ready.  Have a great trip.  The Summit is amazing!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boopuff said:

Thanks everyone.  So much to learn!  I had no idea we could access our room before 1pm.  Good to know

Not only do you have access, you will NEED to go to your room to pick up your seapass cards (hotel room key).  Most helpful to do that after boarding and before hitting up a bar so you have them in hand when you order that first drink. 

• Like 1

There should be a letter in your stateroom that lets you know when and what time the concierge luncheon is held. On our June 2022 Summit cruise the concierge luncheon was held on embarkation day and they began letting people in at 11:30 and stopped seating people around 1. The time of this event can be impacted by the number of passengers cruising in concierge staterooms, so be sure to check what time is listed on the letter. 

28 minutes ago, D C said:

Not only do you have access, you will NEED to go to your room to pick up your seapass cards (hotel room key).  Most helpful to do that after boarding and before hitting up a bar so you have them in hand when you order that first drink. 

Pre covid I didn’t “need” to go to the room to access seapass cards. The bars used my embarkation documents to charge to the room.  The fire doors to cabins remained locked until about 1:30.

I hope this is a new post-covid policy across the fleet. It’s nice to be able to stow away a carryon immediately. 

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Pre covid I didn’t “need” to go to the room to access seapass cards. The bars used my embarkation documents to charge to the room.  The fire doors to cabins remained locked until about 1:30.

I hope this is a new post-covid policy across the fleet. It’s nice to be able to stow away a carryon immediately. 

The fire doors will be open.  And yes, you could manage to order a drink without your card, but the process is more smooth with.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have been on 3 Celebrity cruises since the restart, all have allowed room access to pick up key card, which you will also need to finalize Muster Drill…no issues with bag drop off, putting valuables in the safe etc…

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 1

The above posters are correct.  Go to your stateroom, pick up your SeaPass card, drop off your bags, then head to the Main Dining Room for the Concierge luncheon.  It usually goes from 11:30 to 1:00 on Embarkation Day.

Next, if you purchased any Specialty Dining Plans, go to a Specialty restaurant to make your reservations.  Then, check in at your Muster Station (after you watch the video on the Celebrity app--we do this the morning of the cruise before we board). 

Then, head to a bar to upgrade your beverage package (if you don't want to be charged extra beyond the Classic $9 a glass limit and want to enjoy the Martini Bar).  

Finally, enjoy Sail Away! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I was on the Edge pre-Covid and we went to get the sea pass cards and drop things off upon boarding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I was on the Edge pre-Covid and we went to get the sea pass cards and drop things off upon boarding.

I was on equinox- fire doors kept us locked out. Perhaps it was ship dependent.

I'm glad the policy has changed.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I love the way they do it now. OK, so no bubbly when you get on board, but you get rid of all your carry-on stuff and have your room card right away. I go to the cabin, DH goes to the Martini Bar and orders our drinks. We watch the muster video while imbibing and then check in at our muster station on our way to lunch. It is such a CIVILIZED way to cruise. 

Question - On the S-Class ships the World Class Bar has the single large ice cube/ball for drinks.  Is there a bar on Summit or any of the M-Class ships that has these? I really like a shot of dark, aged rum or bourbon served with these better than just regular ice. 

If you upgrade to the premium pack PLEASE don’t do it with the hawks that roam around looking to do the upgrades.   They do that because they get all of the gratuity portion.   You will never see them again.  

Do it with a BT at a bar that you plan on frequenting.  The BTs appreciate it and deserve it as they will be making your drinks and often will recommend or make a drink that they may think you would like.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Question - On the S-Class ships the World Class Bar has the single large ice cube/ball for drinks.  Is there a bar on Summit or any of the M-Class ships that has these? I really like a shot of dark, aged rum or bourbon served with these better than just regular ice. 

The M class does not have a bar like that. Personally, I would take my 4 cube ice cube tray and ask the bartender that will be pouring it for you to freeze the cubes for you. It is amazing what a $10. bill can do!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Edited by Keys Kathy
ADD
  • Thanks 1