Anthem Questions

woneill63

I will be sailing on the Anthem, December 4th, seven nighter out of Cape Liberty, New Jersey.  I have a few questions for those of you who have sailed on her, or one of her sister ships.

1.  How was dining at Wonderland ?  I will be cruising with my brother who doesn't have the most adventuresome taste in food.  We have the three night dining package and wanted to try Chop's, Wonderland, and Jamie's Italian.

2.  We are doing the late 8 pm dining at the mdr, are you able to switch restaurants among the four different ones ?

3.  How was Two70 ?  It looks like a very interesting venue.  Do they have nightly shows ?

4.  Does the Windjammer have outdoor seating ?

5.  Is there always a charge for getting on the North Star ?  Reservations required ?

I have not sailed on this class of ship before and am looking forward to it.  Please let me know if there are other interesting areas, or activities, that I should not miss.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

19 minutes ago, woneill63 said:

I will be sailing on the Anthem, December 4th, seven nighter out of Cape Liberty, New Jersey.  I have a few questions for those of you who have sailed on her, or one of her sister ships.

1.  How was dining at Wonderland ?  I will be cruising with my brother who doesn't have the most adventuresome taste in food.  We have the three night dining package and wanted to try Chop's, Wonderland, and Jamie's Italian.

2.  We are doing the late 8 pm dining at the mdr, are you able to switch restaurants among the four different ones ?

3.  How was Two70 ?  It looks like a very interesting venue.  Do they have nightly shows ?

5.  Is there always a charge for getting on the North Star ?  Reservations required ?

I have not sailed on this class of ship before and am looking forward to it.  Please let me know if there are other interesting areas, or activities, that I should not miss.

1 Wonderland was lovely.

2 We never ate in MDR.

3 Two70 seemed nice with Bingo played during the day.

4. Some limited outdoor seating at windjammer.

5. We were not charged for North Star on Embarkation day but you are charged at sea when North Star moves over the side of the ship.

6 Reservations definitely required for North Star which can be done on the App.

IMG_20220907_185322.jpg

IMG_20220513_154825.jpg

IMG_20220907_201113.jpg

IMG_20220907_183759.jpg

Edited by grapau27

From our trip back in March (things are probably more open now):

Two70 is underutilized.  Most of what we saw of it was demonstrating the technology, moving tv screens, music etc.  They did not have nightly shows.  Pre-Covid, they ran a really "eclectic" show, not last time.

Short trips on North Star were free on port days but all require reservations.  The paying trips are longer and go out over the side of the ship as well as up and down.  We did it in port at Canaveral.  You go up high.  That's about it.

iFly is available - you pay for it, reservations required.  If you're curious to try it, it's much shorter than what you would get on a visit to one of their land locations, but it's also a lot cheaper.  I think your time in the tube is a minute of less (which is enough for just the experience of it).

Bumper cars - also reservations required.  You can get in line in case they have no-shows.  Limited hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woneill63 said:

We were on Anthem in March.  Great ship!

1.  Didn't try Wonderland so can't comment.
  2. We had traditional dining so had a table assigned (same table each night).  For my time, a specific floor or floors is allocated (don't remember which level offhand)
  3. The Two70 is a great venue.  It has shows at night (Spectra's Cabaret) and the beautiful view with the full length windows in the day.  You can grab a drink, have lunch there (from 270 cafe), etc.  They had other fun things too like Silent Disco, etc
  4. Yes a small outdoor seating area
  5. When we went, North Star and iFly were free on port days.  A charge on sea days.  The North Star that you pay for is longer and extends further off the ship but the free one is good too (we did both).

Tip:  Don't miss We Will Rock You!  Amazing production!

Edited by LuCruise

3 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are on the Anthem in January, for the first time. Do you need to make reservations for any of the shows?

Cheers

Len

When we were on board last month, the only show that required reservations was Spectra's Cabaret and it was done on board. Everything else was first come first served. I don’t know if they're doing it differently now that the ship is back in the US, but you should definitely keep your eye on the entertainment tab in the cruise planner because people are reporting that pre-cruise entertainment bookings appear to be making a come-back and Anthem is one of the ships mentioned. 

We'll be on the same cruise, and the one previous, too.  

270 is a really cool venue, especially since it's a really nice relaxation place during the day.  Spectra's is the big show there, but there have been virtual concerts there during the evening, too.  As well as tech demos of what it can do.  And once in a while, there are real concerts there- the orchestra did a show there once- although most music events are held in Music Hall (which is also a great venue).

It's been many years since we did Wonderland, and it's a real experience- we plan on eating there Saturday before the turn around.

Kinda sucks that Ifly and North Star have a fee now, we managed to do them both when they were free, and loved it.  The 60 seconds you get in iFly is a really long 60 seconds.  Maybe you can find times when they are free.

Haven't done bumper cars yet- maybe this time.

If you like Queen, you will like We Will Rock You- the actual story is not all that strong (and one that is repeated many times in Pop Culture) but the music is really great.  The Gift is the other show- we think it's ok- at least see it if you have time.

See you on the ship!

As of last week:

The only show requiring reservations was Spectra's weird Cabaret.

North Star and iFly both had times that were free, and must be reserved in the app while on board. Embarkation day in Bayonne is a good time to go on North Star and see New York.

Hey, everyone, thanks so much for your replies.  I have read many reviews and have seen numerous videos on youtube already.  I always do my homework before sailing on a new class of ship that I have not been on before, it always helps to check on Cruise Critic with those who have been on the ship recently. 

I was on the Celebrity Edge last month, and the two ships seem quite similar.  

Cheers !