Swollen ankles when cruising

horseymike

I suspect the food/water

I was in terrible pain one cruise & asked for low sodium meals  drank more water   & it did help with the swelling

It was  not a warm weather cruise so cannot blame  the humidity

That was my worst experience with swelling ankles/legs

This is an old topic here on CC and I can assure the OP that plenty of us have the problem.  Why?  Lots of guesses but nothing definitive.  Our own physician thinks it is likely a combination of things including the large amount of salt/sodium dumped in food prepared by commercial kitchens/galleys.  Some also think that we (passengers) do not drink enough water when on ships.   One interesting trick that was posted on CC a few years ago (by a person who claimed to be a physician) was to simply stand in the pool for a few hours every day (at the risk of turning into a prune).  Keeping your feet a few feet deep subjects them to increased pressure (from the water) and arguably forces some of the fluid away from your surface tissues.

Hank

I don't claim to be an expert on this. However, lots of people blame the water. I haven't seen any evidence of that. Most Google searches indicate it is related to dehydration and/or lack of activity

As stated by the University of Michigan, “heat causes the blood vessels to expand (dilate), so body fluid moves into the hands or legs by gravity.”

The hotter the weather the bigger this problem is for me.  What I try to do is drink a lot of bottled water.  I also take some compression socks that I will wear for awhile while in the cabin with my feet elevated just to keep them from getting out of control.

But if you Google this subject it is very common…..

• Like 1

Has been a problem for many for a long time. Way back in the 70s, can remember mature passengers being told to sleep with their life jackets under their feet to elevate them and reduce swelling. At the time as a teenager, thought it quite strange ! Haven’t faced the issue yet myself .

• Like 1