do longer sailings (14 - 21 days) get less expensive?

elbodans

This is not my first time cruising--far from it--but it is my first time considering a sailing that is more than 90 away. In fact, it is my first time considering a sailing that is more than 30 days away. I'm a last minute cruise person. 

But my husband wants to do a Norway cruise next summer (July 2023) and the sailings we are looking at are between 14 and 21 days long, on either HAL or MSC. They are currently pretty expensive, as you'd imagine. But we've done a 14 day sailing to Alaska on HAL and we booked less than a month in advance and got a FABULOUS deal. Of course this was pre 2020 (it was 2018) so that changes things as well. 

I also sailed MSC out of Miami in February 2020 (right before ships stopped sailing, but no one knew that was coming at the time) and I paid nearly nothing for that, having booked 28 days in advance. 

I just want to know--for those of you who cruise for longer periods of time, do you find deals closer to the sailing date? Or do those longer sailings usually sell out? I can't imagine they do--who can go on a three week cruise, right?

I can wait longer to book this trip if that's a better choice. Or I can book now. Note that I do not care which specific cabin we get, but I'd like a balcony. We sailed in an inside cabin on our 14 day Alaska cruise and while we could make that work again, for Norway in the summer I'd like my own private outdoor space. 

7 minutes ago, elbodans said:

This is not my first time cruising--far from it--but it is my first time considering a sailing that is more than 90 away. In fact, it is my first time considering a sailing that is more than 30 days away. I'm a last minute cruise person. 

I just want to know--for those of you who cruise for longer periods of time, do you find deals closer to the sailing date? Or do those longer sailings usually sell out? I can't imagine they do--who can go on a three week cruise, right?

Desirable itineraries - especially in preferred accommodations such as balconies, do tend to get sold out.  Your best bet for a last-minute deal is on a shorter itinerary which might be offered by several lines:  say a seven day Caribbean out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale - or a shorter, 3 or 4 day Bahamas sailing. 

If you are flexible and can handle disappointment - definitely monitor  that Norway itinerary -- there is always a chance that a last-minute bargain might appear.  Of course, any savings on the cruise fare is likely to be seriously off-set by the higher last minute peak season trans-Atlantic air fare to get to it.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, any savings on the cruise fare is likely to be seriously off-set by the higher last minute peak season trans-Atlantic air fare to get to it.

I guess I was hoping the cruise rates would go down significantly. I can fly from any NYC-area airport--or Philly or Baltimore--so I can almost always find reasonable trans atlantic flight prices. Even in the summer, even pretty last minute. Like as in under $600pp/rt. The sailing we are looking at right now would be around $7K for the two of us (which is more than we've ever spent for a trip by double.) If that's going to drop by, say, half, the savings would be worth paying a few hundred dollars more for the flight. 

But it sounds like that's a vain hope. Oh well. Perhaps I'll just crush my husband's dream for now and we will do another Europe by train trip. 

2 hours ago, elbodans said:

...my husband wants to do a Norway cruise next summer (July 2023) and the sailings we are looking at are between 14 and 21 days long, on either HAL or MSC. They are currently pretty expensive, as you'd imagine. ...I can wait longer to book this trip if that's a better choice. Or I can book now. Note that I do not care which specific cabin we get, but I'd like a balcony. We sailed in an inside cabin on our 14 day Alaska cruise and while we could make that work again, for Norway in the summer I'd like my own private outdoor space. 

If you book HAL with a refundable deposit, you can re-fare if the fare goes down, BEFORE final-payment-date, and IF there are same-category cabins still available. In other words, if you could conceivably cancel and re-book, they save you the hassle of doing so. Now, you get the new fare, but you would also get whatever promos (better or less) that are current as of the new fare.

If you go to the website and go through the motions of finding your room and booking (without actually doing so), you will see two fares "Have-It-All" with several perks, and "Best Price" without them. HIA has a refundable deposit and Best Price does NOT. However, there is another level between the two; I am told it is called the Advantage Fare: no perks, but refundable deposit. You need either a TA, a Personal Cruise Consultant, or to call and get an 'operator' at HAL. I recommend the PCC! To get a PCC, dial 1-800-355-3017, stay on the line until the choice to talk to a real person, and ask to be assigned to one. If you have ever sailed with HAL, you may actually already have one...

• Like 2

You ask who can go on a three week cruise.

The answer is many, many people - bookings for World Cruises often sell very fast.

Itineraries to Norway in particular are very popular and are usually only offered for a fairly short summer season so I think you'd be extremely lucky to find one dropping it's price, they usually sell very well at a high price.

I agree with the other posters. Yes, unlikely to have drops on this specific itinerary if the number of sailings are limited. Could it happen, sure. But if you are looking at July it's probably the height of the season and the most likely to sell well, therefore the least likely to have price drops. Have you looked at going towards the beginning or end of the season? Those typically have better rates. 

As far as a balcony goes, Norway in the summer is not necessarily warm.  It may not be as warm as Alaska, although I remember it as not as rainy.  I remember it being in 60’s and lower in late July/early August.  We had a porthole on QE2, only the few suites had balconies…. EM

15 hours ago, elbodans said:

The sailing we are looking at right now would be around $7K for the two of us (which is more than we've ever spent for a trip by double.) If that's going to drop by, say, half, the savings would be worth paying a few hundred dollars more for the flight. 

Probably a better chance of being hit by lightning than getting a 50% price drop.

Lots of people can go on 3-wk. cruises.  After Nov. 30 I'll be one of them - I'm retiring!  The Baby Boomers born between 1946 - 1964 are a huge age cohort and many are retired.  In many countries (not the US) workers get 4-6 wks. of vacation time annually.  

• Like 1

Remember a lot of people including myself have to travel a fair distance to get to the cruise terminal. I live in the Canary Islands (Gran Canaria) and Barcelona is for me my homeport. I would not travel all that way for anything shorter than 14 nights. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If you book HAL with a refundable deposit, you can re-fare if the fare goes down, BEFORE final-payment-date, and IF there are same-category cabins still available. In other words, if you could conceivably cancel and re-book, they save you the hassle of doing so. Now, you get the new fare, but you would also get whatever promos (better or less) that are current as of the new fare.

If you go to the website and go through the motions of finding your room and booking (without actually doing so), you will see two fares "Have-It-All" with several perks, and "Best Price" without them. HIA has a refundable deposit and Best Price does NOT. However, there is another level between the two; I am told it is called the Advantage Fare: no perks, but refundable deposit. You need either a TA, a Personal Cruise Consultant, or to call and get an 'operator' at HAL. I recommend the PCC! To get a PCC, dial 1-800-355-3017, stay on the line until the choice to talk to a real person, and ask to be assigned to one. If you have ever sailed with HAL, you may actually already have one...

This is VERY HELPFUL! Thank you! We will do that. We are currently really seriously considering one specific sailing and it is on HAL. We may do this and book an inside cabin and if things change and make an upgrade possible, great. If they don't, we are fine with the inside cabin and the current price. Thank you! This was very helpful. 

10 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I agree with the other posters. Yes, unlikely to have drops on this specific itinerary if the number of sailings are limited. Could it happen, sure. But if you are looking at July it's probably the height of the season and the most likely to sell well, therefore the least likely to have price drops. Have you looked at going towards the beginning or end of the season? Those typically have better rates. 

Sadly, my husband is a teacher so beginning or end of the season is out until he retires. And that's not for more than a decade. 😞 So yes, we have to travel in the most peak times. It is not ideal, but we are working with it. 

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

As far as a balcony goes, Norway in the summer is not necessarily warm.  It may not be as warm as Alaska, although I remember it as not as rainy.  I remember it being in 60’s and lower in late July/early August.  We had a porthole on QE2, only the few suites had balconies…. EM

We just had a very serious conversation about the necessity of a balcony and I'm going to go with: it isn't necessary. We sailed Alaska for 14 days in an inside cabin and it was actually nice, since the sun didn't set but for 4 hours at certain points in the trip and it was nice being able to sleep (to poorly quote a Disney movie: if the sun is up then I am up.) 

4 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Probably a better chance of being hit by lightning than getting a 50% price drop.

So the reason I ask this question is because when we sailed on HAL in Alaska a few years ago we talked to MANY people on board who paid more than double what we paid (in the same cabin category) having booked only 28 days in advance. That's why I'm afraid to book so far in advance for what I consider to be a significant amount of money. I don't want to be the people who were angry with us for our fab deal. 😉 

7 minutes ago, elbodans said:

So the reason I ask this question is because when we sailed on HAL in Alaska a few years ago we talked to MANY people on board who paid more than double what we paid (in the same cabin category) having booked only 28 days in advance. That's why I'm afraid to book so far in advance for what I consider to be a significant amount of money. I don't want to be the people who were angry with us for our fab deal. 😉 

Then do not talk with fellow passengers about what you paid.  In every two person conversation, one will come away feeling like a loser.  And, people who compare fares with 50 others face the possibility of learning that 49 of them got a better deal.  If you are happy with what you pick, live with it -- quietly! 

If you do not think you will be happy with a deal, don't buy it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then do not talk with fellow passengers about what you paid.  In every two person conversation, one will come away feeling like a loser.  And, people who compare fares with 50 others face the possibility of learning that 49 of them got a better deal.  If you are happy with what you pick, live with it -- quietly! 

Totally agree that this is one topic we avoid. We are happy with what we got and what we are doing so why look to make yourself unhappy comparing prices with others. 

Agree with many on here that July sailings of Norwegian Fjords is popular so best to book early and keep a watch out for bonus offers and see if you can negotiate to get the new offer.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I feel like I came across wrong. When I said "I don't want to be the people who were angry with us for our fab deal" I meant: I don't want to be those people because they over-paid. I do not want to over pay. Less money per day = more days traveling. 

I'm always THRILLED to talk about how much I paid for ANY trip because I've always been able to find fabulous deals and/or make a trip work by doing a lot of research and planning. 

We don't have a lot of money. We travel A LOT (while still contributing to retirement savings so we can continue to travel into our later years.) So I, personally, have always been happy with the deal I've found. And I'm always happy to advise others on how to find good deals. I don't charge for that service which is likely part of why we don't have a lot of money. 😉 

Edited by elbodans
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, elbodans said:

I'm always THRILLED to talk about how much I paid for ANY trip because I've always been able to find fabulous deals and/or make a trip work by doing a lot of research and planning. 

I know you mean well, but this can come across the wrong way to fellow passengers.  I find it to be awkward dinner conversation, and some people may come away feeling bad or stupid because you think they paid too much.  

• Like 2

I will take this thread back to the OP's question.  Quite the contrary, longer cruises will often cost MORE per passenger day than a short cruise.  Short cruises (lets call that 10 days or less) are a very competitive market.  Some longer cruises are very popular and get top dollar.  Consider that when Oceania first opens-up their 180 day World Cruise (the longest cruise in the world) it will often book-up within a few days.  HAL's annual Voyage of the Vikings (usually about 38 days long) has also been popular (at least prior to COVID) and would sell for relatively high prices comparable to what HAL charges for their popular World Cruise (about 100 days).  HAL also charges somewhat higher prices (when compared to many of the shorter cruises) for most of their so-called Grand Cruises which are longer voyages.

As to finding "deals" closer to sailing time, this does happen but is not as common as it was many years ago.  DW and I do sometimes book last minute longer cruises, but most of the good deals have been for cruises less than 3 weeks long.  Also keep in mind that many of these deals are for cruises that involve substantial air flights and last minute can sometimes mean paying a premium for air.  We have an upcoming cruise that embarks in Japan.  We were able to snag a decent Business Class fare to Tokyo.  Those same flight today cost almost twice the price (we are talking about $2000 more per person).

My suggestion to the OP is to register your e-mail with multiple high volume discout cruise agencies.  Many such agencies maintain a private mailing list and those are the only folks that will hear about certain last minute deals that are sold in a very quiet way and not publicly marketed.  This happens when a cruise line needs to sell off excess capacity (usually within the final payment period) and does not want it to be common knowledge that they are offering some big discounts (which would annoy those who have already booked at much higher prices).

Hank

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roz said:

I know you mean well, but this can come across the wrong way to fellow passengers.  I find it to be awkward dinner conversation, and some people may come away feeling bad or stupid because you think they paid too much.  

I feel like the fact that this is a forum and thus there is context missing I am being misunderstood--because I can't possibly explain every single thing in as much detail as may be required. 

I have never been like "hi, table mates! Guess what I paid?!?" 

I've actually never even brought it up. But I have been on sailings--specifically the 14 day Alaska one I continue to reference--where people were angry about xyz (it was an older HAL ship) and complained loudly and to anyone who would listen that they paid X for the sailing and they were angry. That is how I know that we got a steal. 

I also used to be a travel blogger (for zero profit; it was a hobby) so I also share cost saving tips. Thus my "very happy to share" statement. 

I asked this question on this forum because I do not have experience with pricing longer sailings and hoped that someone who did could offer the advice I would give around things I am an expert in. That's all. 

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will take this thread back to the OP's question.  Quite the contrary, longer cruises will often cost MORE per passenger day than a short cruise.  Short cruises (lets call that 10 days or less) are a very competitive market.  Some longer cruises are very popular and get top dollar.  Consider that when Oceania first opens-up their 180 day World Cruise (the longest cruise in the world) it will often book-up within a few days.  HAL's annual Voyage of the Vikings (usually about 38 days long) has also been popular (at least prior to COVID) and would sell for relatively high prices comparable to what HAL charges for their popular World Cruise (about 100 days).  HAL also charges somewhat higher prices (when compared to many of the shorter cruises) for most of their so-called Grand Cruises which are longer voyages.

As to finding "deals" closer to sailing time, this does happen but is not as common as it was many years ago.  DW and I do sometimes book last minute longer cruises, but most of the good deals have been for cruises less than 3 weeks long.  Also keep in mind that many of these deals are for cruises that involve substantial air flights and last minute can sometimes mean paying a premium for air.  We have an upcoming cruise that embarks in Japan.  We were able to snag a decent Business Class fare to Tokyo.  Those same flight today cost almost twice the price (we are talking about $2000 more per person).

My suggestion to the OP is to register your e-mail with multiple high volume discout cruise agencies.  Many such agencies maintain a private mailing list and those are the only folks that will hear about certain last minute deals that are sold in a very quiet way and not publicly marketed.  This happens when a cruise line needs to sell off excess capacity (usually within the final payment period) and does not want it to be common knowledge that they are offering some big discounts (which would annoy those who have already booked at much higher prices).

Hank

Thank you so much for this explanation and for the actionable step I can take. I will do exactly that. Thank you so much! I appreciate learning how longer cruise prices work. 

• Like 1