Which internet offer to take?

1 minute ago, takemeaway2008 said:

OK, so I did do a search but couldn't find anything

Do I buy the internet package for one person and pick two devices so we can share? Or do I pick two people with one devices? My last cruises everything was included so I never had to pick something. 

TIA. 

One person, two devices.  That's the better deal and works just fine.  The difference is that it's just one login to set up--you'll both use the same login name/password,  versus creating two separate logins.  

19 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Or buy one device and share that.  Generally when the second person tries to log on it kicks the first one off.  

We even do that with friends cruising with us as none of us has to have internet most of the time. A bit of co-ordination as to when one is on is only needed.

9 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Perhaps stay off the internet for a week

You will be surprised how much you didn't miss...

Judge much??? 

To the OP, get on the internet all you want. its your money to spend and your cruise to enjoy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Perhaps stay off the internet for a week

You will be surprised how much you didn't miss...

I only buy internet so I can livestream wearing shorts on formal night and how many chairs I can towel hog in one hour at 5am.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

There are frequently posts on this type of thread suggesting that everyone unplug for a week. Wouldn’t that be lovely! But then some of us own businesses, have children/elderly parents/pets at home, or have other major adult life responsibilities and thus need some connectivity in case real-world, non-vacation problems occur.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Internet seems a bit hit or miss so it can be a little frustrating. Set the expectations and you'll be fine.

I would suggest just 1 device as noted above. Any other users can use and would automatically log out the other party. A little coordination is required but it is fine. If multiple people are diamond, you can map your internet access strategy to have frugal yet reasonable access. Of course, you can always buy the package for the duration. 🙂 

Additionally, you could purchase a mini router (Mango on Amazon for approx $25) and allow both parties to access internet at the same time. The device is also useful for any future hotel or other travels where you can protect access from some public wifi (Hilton, Marriott, etc).

Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

There are frequently posts on this type of thread suggesting that everyone unplug for a week. Wouldn’t that be lovely! But then some of us own businesses, have children/elderly parents/pets at home, or have other major adult life responsibilities and thus need some connectivity in case real-world, non-vacation problems occur.  

Or asking a 13-yr-old to go without internet for 7 nights. It's great in theory but isn't as fun in reality!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2022 at 7:54 PM, Biker19 said:

Yes, $2/pppd - three dots in the upper right corner. 

Or if you both have apple devices switch to use the app for free and text each other for nothing! 
that’s what I do and text my daughter that I left behind for free too!

13 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Agreed we were on a cruise when we had left dd at home and hurricane Ian turned and went far closer to us than expected. Being at sea we needed to know she was okay. Yes she lost power for a couple of days but was able to know she was okay, and be in touch with friends in case she needed to evacuate.

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Or if you both have apple devices switch to use the app for free and text each other for nothing! 

While that kind of traffic used to get by the RCI internet filter, that is unlikely to work now. What ship and when did that work for you last?

8 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Agreed we were on a cruise when we had left dd at home and hurricane Ian turned and went far closer to us than expected. Being at sea we needed to know she was okay. Yes she lost power for a couple of days but was able to know she was okay, and be in touch with friends in case she needed to evacuate.

And thank goodness we have the ability to do that.  When my parents started cruising with us when we were quite young, in the late 60s and early 70s, the option to “phone home” involved a ship-to-shore call that was about the price of an automobile (an exaggeration of course, but it was very expensive).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

While that kind of traffic used to get by the RCI internet filter, that is unlikely to work now. What ship and when did that work for you last?

It has worked on Oasis, Brilliance, Mariner,  Harmony twice, Indy, Explorer since restart off on Symphony soon will let you know if it still works but we sail pretty much every month and not had an issue to date.

Edited by Spurschick

5 hours ago, Spurschick said:

It has worked on Oasis, Brilliance, Mariner,  Harmony twice, Indy, Explorer since restart off on Symphony soon will let you know if it still works but we sail pretty much every month and not had an issue to date.

All the reports seemed to indicate a very YMMV on that working. I know quite a bit of traffic gets by inbound (notifications, headers) but outbound traffic seemed to be very limited. Good to know iOS messaging works for you. 

Edited by Biker19

On 11/15/2022 at 5:35 PM, Biker19 said:

True,  but connecting to the ship Wi-Fi is free - getting a VOOM package and internet connection costs - not needed for the texting option. 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:18 AM, Spurschick said:

that’s what I do and text my daughter that I left behind for free too!

Thanks, that's perfect and saves us money. Nope, both android users but thanks for the info.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

All the reports seemed to indicate a very YMMV on that working. I know quite a bit of traffic gets by inbound (notifications, headers) but outbound traffic seemed to be very limited. Good to know iOS messaging works for you. 

It works apple to apple but not apple to non apple

Check your prices both ways, I bought today and it was slightly cheaper to get each of us one device. Usually it’s cheaper the other way around. May just be our cruise, but saved $12 getting each one device. Go figure. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by barbeyg

6 hours ago, Spurschick said:

It works apple to apple but not apple to non apple

Until it doesn’t - you are very lucky if it has worked on all the ships/sailings you were on. It seems to even vary by person/device on the same sailing. 

Biker, who tries this on every sailing and has has had minimal success this year - currently on Enchantment and it doesn’t work. It worked briefly on Voyager two months ago.