1st time on Celebrity - I have Sum(mit) questions

LuckyMax

We booked our Dec 3rd, 5-night cruise on Summit a little over a week ago. I've done a bit of searching, but am hoping I can get some answers on the following questions from the experts here.

1. We booked an inside cabin. Can we request a robe for use during the cruise? Just looking to free up space in my suitcase. I'm not picky on the size and quality.

2. Does anyone have a recent Summit 5-day schedule of activities to share as an example? 

3. Is an hour sufficient for the main dining room experience, if we are sharing a table with others?  Mostly want to know, so we can plan around getting to the early shows on time -- to find a seat.  If that's too little time, we would go to the buffet.  We typically only go to the main dining room about half the time.

4. If no one has a recent schedule, can you guess at what time would the early shows start?  We usually go to the comedy shows, and other shows where specialty entertainers are brought on board for a night or two.

5. What are the must-see shows that are currently scheduled on the Summit?

Lastly,

6. Do we need internet to make this a better cruise? I honestly, like to shut off my phone and not think about it again until I return from my cruise.  Is there a way to check my messages once a day to make sure there are no emergencies at home without having to buy an internet package? I don't need it for social media.  We booked this cruise direct through the Celebrity website, so I did not think to ask this question in advance.

We are looking forward to the Celebrity experience.  We've heard a lot of good things about this line.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

4 minutes ago, LuckyMax said:

3. Is an hour sufficient for the main dining room experience, if we are sharing a table with others? 

IMHO only if the others are on board with a rushed experience since a table is served at the same pace. Better to request your own table in this case.

Or, as you said, go to the buffet. But in this case I'd let the maitre'd know your plans so they can alert your assigned server that they don't have to wait for you (something else that would affect others assigned to your table).

• Like 1

Welcome to Celebrity.

I will try to answer some of your questions and others will chime in too.

Regarding robes, while I  have never booked an inside stateroom, I think that robes are provided in all staterooms.  Quality differs depending on the stateroom.

Download the Celebrity app.  Look for a similar cruise on the Summit and you should find a schedule of activities which will be similar to your sailing.

The MDR can be a drawn out experience.  The evening shows in the theater will be at 7 PM with a repeat at 9 PM.  Comedians may be the featured act in the theater but are often in the Sky Lounge (deck 11 forward) with later shows.  The theaters are sufficiently large that folks don't need to arrive really early for a good seat.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LuckyMax said:

We booked our Dec 3rd, 5-night cruise on Summit a little over a week ago. I've done a bit of searching, but am hoping I can get some answers on the following questions from the experts here.

1. We booked an inside cabin. Can we request a robe for use during the cruise? Just looking to free up space in my suitcase. I'm not picky on the size and quality.

2. Does anyone have a recent Summit 5-day schedule of activities to share as an example? 

3. Is an hour sufficient for the main dining room experience, if we are sharing a table with others?  Mostly want to know, so we can plan around getting to the early shows on time -- to find a seat.  If that's too little time, we would go to the buffet.  We typically only go to the main dining room about half the time.

4. If no one has a recent schedule, can you guess at what time would the early shows start?  We usually go to the comedy shows, and other shows where specialty entertainers are brought on board for a night or two.

Lastly,

6. Do we need internet to make this a better cruise? I honestly, like to shut off my phone and not think about it again until I return from my cruise.  Is there a way to check my messages once a day to make sure there are no emergencies at home without having to buy an internet package? I don't need it for social media.  We booked this cruise direct through the Celebrity website, so I did not think to ask this question in advance.

We are looking forward to the Celebrity experience.  We've heard a lot of good things about this line.

Sailed inside room on Summit in June.

Room was an OK size.

There were robes.

Even with only 2 of us at a table always seemed to take over an hour, however never asked the waiter to rush it.

We had the AI internet access.  It was absolutely the worst. Basically non-usable.

At some point the onboard activities will show up on your phone app.

Not sure we ever went to any of the shows.  That was us.

We actually liked the ship, it is considered on the smaller side these days but definitely enjoyable

One thing though, we thought the regular coffee was undrinkable. The specialty coffees were fine but always seemed to be a bit of a line.

Tuscan Grill was OK.  If you have lots of OBC then the first night with a discount is fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuckyMax said:

Lastly,

1. Answered

2. Activities are specific to your cruise.  Lots of dailies published elsewhere.  Some things like trivia standard.  

3. One hour won't work.  Especially with others unless you leave before desert

4.  Again the entertainment is specific to your cruise.  7pm for early show unless port calls modify to 7:30.

5.  You need to decide as entertainment changes every cruise

6. I happily cruise without internet.  No idea why you would need it.  Activities available both on the app - free and daily announcements delivered each evening.  PS internet for light surfing is great.  Face time won't work unless upgraded.  Again geographic location makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have answered.  Per your recommendation, I found the itinerary for the current Key West/Cozumel on the app that I finally downloaded.

Looks like there might be one comedian that performs twice on this sailing with an early show on the second night.  If the activity schedule stays the same, I can plan around that.

Given the push to use the app, I thought we'd have to carry our phones around everywhere to get the schedule and make purchases.  Looks like that's not the case. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Your going to have a fabulous time. Great time to get out of the northeast for some well deserved sun. I love the Summit and have never been disappointed. (except when they made us get off when we returned to Miami.)

Thanks Bill.  Looks like I need to update my profile.  Moved to Bonita Springs 5 years ago.  Now I need a respite from the devastation from Hurricane Ian 😞  However, feeling incredibly lucky that I have that option.  What a disaster for so many...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LuckyMax said:

Given the push to use the app, I thought we'd have to carry our phones around everywhere to get the schedule and make purchases.  Looks like that's not the case. 🙂

We generally just check the app for menus.  A paper copy of the Celebrity Today (planner) will be delivered during the evening turndown service.  And your sea pass card is used to make purchases.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyMax said:

Lastly,

Most of your questions have been answered, but I wanted to give my perspective for the record.  I've been on the Summit three times in the past, the last in February; one was a charter.  My last cruise was 2 weeks ago on the Millennium, a sister ship that seemed near identical to me.

1.  I had an OV and had a robe in the closet without me asking for one.  I'm not a robe wearer.  I think my cabins on the Summit had robes but wouldn't swear to it.

2.  Both my 5-day trips on the Summit went to Cozumel and Costa Maya.  The last one was in February.  I think they've changed things sufficiently that those schedules will just get you into trouble.

3.  I haven't had the MDR experience on any of my Celebrity Cruises, but based on my experiences elsewhere, I think an hour for dinner is pushing it - especially if you're dining in a group of more than two.  I think the buffet has really good food, but then again, I have no taste.

4.  The shows in the main theater started for us in the Millie at 7 and 9.  Our comedian had one show the first night at 8:15 (main theater) and one 18+ show at 10:15 in the Sky Lounge.

5.  I haven't been to any shows on the Summit except for the charter.  I enjoyed Boogie Wonderland on the Millie, and also special performer Kristina Wells.

6.  Will the Internet help make a better cruise for you?  Only you can answer that.  It sounds like you may "need" the Net, since I don't know of an easy way to check for messages on the ship without it.  I did buy a couple of days of premium Internet on the last cruise, and I was able to stream on YouTube mostly without issue.  Email and random surfing were no problem.  Don't expect miracles; the Summit and Millie are scheduled to be near the last in line to get Starlink.

I've enjoyed my time on Celebrity, and I think you will too.  Happy cruising!

• Like 1