One entree at a time ...

seaman11

I was on the elation and i wanted a pasta dish in the mdr as a side one night. I was told only after i finish my first entree.  I get waste or cold food but i explianed id like to eat it together. I was refused this. 

Anyone hear of this one at a time thing? 

Should I raise my hand to be excused for a lavatory visit as well? 

If this is truly from the new cheap Carnival book, it’s gone too far. 
‘My parents are deceased and I don’t vacation to be treated like a little kid. 
‘Beyond ridiculous. The servings are way shrink already, now this ?  Really???  YGTBKM. 

• Like 4

This must be new.  It's been extremely rare that I've ever ordered two entrees but a couple of times there was something new that my wife and I wanted to try so we ordered it along with more traditional entrees we knew we'd like.  There was never any issue with getting them at the same time.

If indeed this is the new norm everyone needs to raise hell with the maître d, guest services, and John Heald.  If enough people complain about this maybe the powers that be will come to their senses.  I'm getting on Freedom tomorrow morning, if I think of it I'll ask our server about this.

• Like 3

I rarely order 2 entrees except for when I add in the veg. Indian. 1 at a time is ridiculous especially with the upcharge on the 3rd.

Carnival will be losing money if they didn't collect that $5 on initial order.

Have many would order a 3rd at the start and how many would after 2 entrees 1 at a time?

Makes no sense to split them it would make serving times longer also

I have not been a fan of Carnival's cutbacks at all. But while their implementation sounds a bit off (a small portion of pasta as a side should be accommodated) I have seen a number of jerks since reopening. Perhaps they were always there and it is just since reopening I have noticed, but on at least five cruises since reopening we have observed couples each ordering two or three entrees, eating a little of each and leaving the rest. One couple, with no prompting from us, told us they like to try everything so they order everything and take a few bites of each.

So I understand what probably prompted this. However the sides that come with the entrees have become very small. When I have the brisket I have taken to asking for an extra helping of potatoes since I like to put a little brisket and a little potato on the fork for each bite. That has not been a problem. They bring the entree plate and a small bowl with just potatoes at the same time. I would think that is different than ordering multiple entrees and if they refused that it would make no sense.

But the bottom line is that when confronted with a large number of boorish customers they have to draw some lines.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mic101680 said:

I've always been able to get them at the same time of the rare occasion I do actually order 2 entrees, so unless this is a very new (like, within the last 6 weeks) policy, then there shouldn't be any reason why they can't do so.

Yes this was last week on elation.  Not sure if chef on board policy or fleet wide now. 

45 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

On cruise elegant night, my DH likes to get his rare prime rib and single lobster tail as a surf n turf combination and eat them together, not as separate entrees.

Well if what OP says happened starts happening fleet wide you will have to be stealthy about it. My suggestion order the lobster first then hide it , order the prime rib for the 2nd entree then turn into a magician and let the lobster reappear.

• Haha 5

My wife and I just got off the Spirit on a B2B.  While we typically order one entree each, we do, at times, other a third one that we split.

We did this on two occasions last week, and no "finish what you have first" edict came down from the Dining Room team.  They served us the third entree without issue.

Garnett

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seaman11 said:

I was on the elation and i wanted a pasta dish in the mdr as a side one night. I was told only after i finish my first entree.  I get waste or cold food but i explianed id like to eat it together. I was refused this. 

Well, apparently Carnival is now (correctly) below Burger King in service....you cannot have it your way!  

Any yeah I know BK changed their tagline, but most still recognize this one.

• Haha 2

In the past I was encouraged by crew to order extra food if I wanted to try it. Several different times on several different ships.

Now all of a sudden according to posters on this forum, I’m a “jerk” if I do that. Why?

Funny how quickly the narrative shifts.

I understand the attempt to limit waste but isn't the food already on board and going to go to waste if not eaten in a timely manner? If I am told to finish my meal like a 4 year old before I get my next one, I will not be pleased. Sometimes the food can have side garnishing's that I am not in the mood for but want the main part of the dish. I hope this was just a bad night/s on one ship and not fleetwide. "Eat your broccoli little Timmy!"  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for just a minute ... what if the waiter meant he could only serve one at a time, not that the OP had to "finish" the first one before being served the second??

That was my hunch as well and mirrors my experience with Carnival. They’ll only serve one dish at a time, except in some circumstances like ordering prime rib and lobster (they’ll put the lobster tail on the same plate) etc.

16 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Never been refused like that. Several times plates put down side by side on the MG recently and the Freedom before that. All this year 

58 minutes ago, furf_n_slo said:

We just got off the Panorama and didn't have this issue at all.  We would order 2 entrees every once in awhile and they brought both at the same time. 

I just got off Panorama on Saturday and they brought my lobster and prime rib together, no issues. I will say the hallways of the Panorama were nice and clean since they started charging for room service. The amount of food waste I saw on lido deck, however, was incredible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

I just got off Panorama on Saturday and they brought my lobster and prime rib together, no issues. I will say the hallways of the Panorama were nice and clean since they started charging for room service. The amount of food waste I saw on lido deck, however, was incredible. 

We just got off Saturday too! There were days I would have paid $$ for coffee/tea to be delivered to my room in the morning lol,  but sadly that wasn't an option.  

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

The food waste hasn't gone anywhere, it's just shifted to venues that cost Carnival less. The buffet is filled with cheap foods like rice, whereas in the MDR people waste lobster and shrimp.