Question for the ladies regarding carrying your cell phone

rjack22

In the past I have never carried my cell phone around on the ship,  I left it in the safe.   But now it appears that carrying your cell phone around the ship with you has certain "advantages".   I realize that I can still leave the phone in my cabin if I want.   My question is what do you use to put your cell phone in when moving about the ship?   Do you put it in your pocket?   Wear it around your neck?   Carry a small bag or tote?    Carry a purse?   I have never carried a purse around the ship before.   I do have a small cross body cell phone pouch that I could use but just wondered what you all do.

It’s in my back pocket.  Lacking that, a skirt pocket or tote bag.  Bag also holds Kindle, maybe some small needlework.  When I am running around madly taking pictures, I put it on a lanyard.  I also use a lanyard when I have a long grocery list, so I don’t have to dig it out of pocket or leave it sitting in the grocery cart.  EM

I use a crossbody cell phone case.  Using this I don’t need to take it out of a bag in order to use it. I clip my medallion to the strap.  There are many brands not just this one.

https://www.bandolierstyle.com/products/emma-pebble-leather-crossbody-bandolier-black-pewter?pr_prod_strat=use_description&pr_rec_id=6d987390b&pr_rec_pid=945098817572&pr_ref_pid=947006406692&pr_seq=uniform

• Like 1

I've never taken my phone around the ship either--it stays in the safe.  However, times they are-a-changing and I may have to break down and carry it.  

I will either put it in the small bag I take to the pool area or a small cross body.  I actually found one at Dollar tree that is just the right size for a cell phone.

Mine goes in my husband's pocket. The same place my cruise card used to go...I hated having to keep track of that and love that I can wear the medallion on my wrist. If he isn't traveling with me then my phone pretty much never leaves the cabin. I like to wear dresses on warm weather cruises, most without pockets, and I have no desire to have to keep track of a bag while enjoying vacation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the ideas!   Question...if you leave your bag at your lounge chair or buffet table to hold your place, aren't you afraid to leave it with your cell phone in it unattended?    I would be.

Maybe I will discover that I don't need my phone either.   I think the greatest appeal is being able to order food and drink to wherever you are.

1 minute ago, rjack22 said:

Thanks for all of the ideas!   Question...if you leave your bag at your lounge chair or buffet table to hold your place, aren't you afraid to leave it with your cell phone in it unattended?    I would be.

Maybe I will discover that I don't need my phone either.   I think the greatest appeal is being able to order food and drink to wherever you are.

Carrying your cell phone around so you can have food or a drink delivered to you?  Seems food would likely never be more than a couple minute walk.  I get it in the cabin, but would you order a food delivery to your local mall?  Easier, faster and food would be hot to simply pick it up from the source.

My DW leaves gers in the safe for the entire cruise.  Mine stays on the nightstand.

We use our sandals and robe to hold our lounge chair and I hold the table at the buffet. 

I bought this before my last cruise and love it!  It’s small but holds my phone, my e-reader, my medallion and a couple other small items. If I want more than that (sunscreen, iPad, etc) I use a beach bag. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Vera-Bradley-Microfiber-Crossbody-Protection/dp/B0883DZ419/ref=sr_1_48?keywords=Vera+Bradley&qid=1669233306&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI5LjE0IiwicXNhIjoiOC43MiIsInFzcCI6IjYuNzgifQ%3D%3D&s=fashion&sr=1-48

• Like 2

No matter where I go, if I carry a purse it's a very small cross-body. That's what I do when leaving the ship. On the ship, it goes in my left side pocket just like at home. I practically live in Land's End sport knit pants. I have these in all the lengths they sell, and the side pockets are big enough for my cellphone.

I have a 3×5 mesh bag with 2 carabiner clips that attaches to my pants. Helps that its the perfect size for my passport & credit card. My purse stays in the safe from embarkation to disembarkation. Looks like this but mine is from container store & has side loops20221123_122513.thumb.jpg.b56ea7fae0f961efe45a50d389a0e3d8.jpg

35 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We've  done 3 cruises so far with  the medallion and app

I don't carry my cell phone around on the ship at all! It's totally unnecessary 

How do you take pictures?  Mine is my camera and I am always ready with it at hand for whale sightings in Alaska, a funny moment at a venue, sailaways etc.  Too many times I’ve missed these moments when I left it in the room.  It is also my timepiece for getting to events or for meal times.  Phones are for more than just communication.

• Like 7

I have a small lightweight cross-body bag that I also use when off the ship. I used to leave my phone in the safe but ever since my last cruise when our cabin was very forward and we were on the back deck of the buffet and I wanted to take a photo, I always take my phone with me. It's also handy to carry other other bits and pieces and I never know when I want to take a photo! 

IMG_20221124_075428.thumb.jpg.88c794a87f54f69d50c5b75445411de7.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller

1 hour ago, rjack22 said:

Question...if you leave your bag at your lounge chair or buffet table to hold your place, aren't you afraid to leave it with your cell phone in it unattended?    I would be.

Not really. I've been doing it for quite a while now & never had one problem, except someone once sat at my table not knowing I left the bag there to hold it. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjack22 said:

On board I don't really worry about someone stealing my stuff. Given that I don't leave it in an isolated spot (other people are around), and CCTV is everywhere,  I don't think anyone would be that stupid.

I have a small zippered tote that I use during the day that also holds sunglasses, tablet, camera, tissues, and hand sanitizer. In the evening I have a small black cross body bag that can convert to a clutch. I've surprised myself at how often I've used the app on this cruise. Locating  DH, ordering drinks, looking at the dinner menus, etc. Plus, wifi has been excellent so far, and have been able to chat or email with family often each day (health crisis with family member). I've even been able to stream YouTube  videos.

I take most pix on shore

I often take pix from our balcony while sailing

I order drinks from actual.people or servers so no need for the app

I can find my husband using the medallion which is around my neck

I use wifi on.my.phone but mostly in our cabin

We sail in suites and enjoy the cabin and don't drag the phone around

I think folks who leave purses and phones lying about unattended are taking a risk that I wouldn't take 

There are no guarantees of safety for your items just because you're on a ship

People are people everywhere 

33 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Lizabu,  what size is that little Princess Cruises bag.

So perfect for cruising!  (unless it is bigger than needed for cellphone)

I think it’s about 6” x 8”. I can get my phone in there, a few credit cards, lipstick and Kleenex. Small enough that I have an excuse not to carry my husband’s stuff around 🤣

• Haha 1

I have a very small crossbody that my iphone, a pair of glasses, lip gloss and a few other items fit in.  It is just the right size that I really don't leave it anywhere since it is easy enough to take with me. The last few cruises we have done with a group of people and it was nice to be able to see if the others were back on ship or out and about.  We also ordered snacks to our location - some not available at the buffet.  I also use my phone as my camera.  

9 hours ago, rjack22 said:

In the past I have never carried my cell phone around on the ship,  I left it in the safe.   But now it appears that carrying your cell phone around the ship with you has certain "advantages".   I realize that I can still leave the phone in my cabin if I want.   My question is what do you use to put your cell phone in when moving about the ship?   Do you put it in your pocket?   Wear it around your neck?   Carry a small bag or tote?    Carry a purse?   I have never carried a purse around the ship before.   I do have a small cross body cell phone pouch that I could use but just wondered what you all do.

All of the above except carrying an actual purse...depending on what I am doing. But I pretty much have it with me at all times.