Allure Of The Seas Galveston

Hello everyone, we are traveling in the Allure in a couple of weeks and had some questions about the ship and Galveston.

1. We are flying into IAH and wanted to ask for the best transportation method to the port from the airport. We ideally would like to rent our own car but that appears to not be an option. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for transportation? (Cruise transfer, private car, etc.)

2. When we return, we have a 1:00 pm departure from IAH. What time should we be off the ship by to make the flight?

3. Since this is our first time sailing out of Texas, does anyone have any advice or best practices?

27 minutes ago, SailorMan98 said:

Hello everyone, we are traveling in the Allure in a couple of weeks and had some questions about the ship and Galveston.

1. We are flying into IAH and wanted to ask for the best transportation method to the port from the airport. We ideally would like to rent our own car but that appears to not be an option. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for transportation? (Cruise transfer, private car, etc.)

2. When we return, we have a 1:00 pm departure from IAH. What time should we be off the ship by to make the flight?

3. Since this is our first time sailing out of Texas, does anyone have any advice or best practices?

If you are flying the day of just stick with the cruise line transfers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailorMan98 said:

1. We are flying into IAH and wanted to ask for the best transportation method to the port from the airport. We ideally would like to rent our own car but that appears to not be an option. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for transportation?

I'd recommend Royal's cruise transfer from IAH.

Not knowing more details, it's hard to say.  On a weekday, the travel time can be up to 2 hours with traffic; on the weekend up to about an hour 15.  ALL of that is before any construction delays - both en route and at the airport. We don't know whether your flight is international (2 hr checkin) or not.  If it were me, I'd want to be on the road by 8:30 or 9 to be safe.  Again, your best bet is the RCL transfer.  

Not really; you're gonna see very little of Texas.  If they a Shipley's Do-Nut in your terminal, get a couple of kolaches and/or chewy donuts for the drive.  Or, maybe everyone on the bus can mutiny and get the driver to stop at Buc-ee's. 🤣

Good luck!         --bruce T.

• Haha 4

I’m assuming you are on the last Sunday to Sunday cruise on December 11? Leaving anytime prior to 9 should be fine. But if you use Royal’s transfers they will assign you and earlier time.

Now if you are on the Dec 18 5 nighter or the Xmas cruise you will get to experience Houston traffic on Fridays proceeding majorly holidays, which can lead to some of the worst Houston traffic.

Your cruise will be heavily Texan. 

Edited by wreckem2013

We have never done royal transfers from the port to the airport.  Can someone explain how that works?  Do they just have buses that fill up, then off you go to the pier?  Then other buses come in behind it?

On 11/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, SailorMan98 said:

Texas has some unusual rules/laws regarding purchasing booze while you are on the ship but still within the state, and also bringing bottles of booze into the state that you've purchased while on the cruise.  I don't know all the details, but it is different.

53 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

IAH one way is $54, round trip $107

HOBBY one way is $43, round trip $85. 

I assume per person? When you have a family of 4 or 5 people, that really adds up. Plus if you come in the night before, it doesn't work, does it?

27 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I assume per person? When you have a family of 4 or 5 people, that really adds up. Plus if you come in the night before, it doesn't work, does it?

That's pretty much universal regardless of shuttle company once you get 4 and often 3 people travelling..cheaper to get a taxi. 

You can still do the shuttles if you come in the night before, you just have to get a hotel by the airport, use the hotels free shuttle to get you to the hotel and then back to the Airport in the morning 

15 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We fly in the day before then return to the airport in the morning to catch the shuttle. Never a problem