Specialty restaurants

MarkWiltonM

11 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Relax.  We have always been able to get extra reservations.  People change dates or cancel reservations. Each day, you can check with a reservation person to see what’s available.  On our December Marina cruise, we had no problem getting reservations.  

That certainly was the case on our Marina cruise that disembarked on Sunday. We ate twice at Jacques and twice at Red Ginger, my two favorites. The biggest surprise for me was how much we enjoyed both the food and service in the Grand Dining Room. I found its dinner menus more ethnically diverse and less “American bland” than our last cruises in 2019 and early 2020.

We enjoyed the food and service in most venues.  The only exception was Polo. They food was bad. The service was worse. They lost our bottle of wine. We had a 2nd reservation at Polo. We canceled it. Instead we went to Red Ginger an extra time.  It is my favorite restaurant.

Red,

I hope when you had this bad experience in Polo you took a minute to have a chat with the Maitre d because he/she needs to know they are dropping the ball.  it happens and a quiet conversation is welcomed by them and they look forward to seeing you again to show you they heard your message and are committed to delivering O quality product and service. On one trip we had a negative experience in Polo, chatted with the Maitre d and were told to return ANYTIME, no reservation required. It does not get better than that 😇👍🍷.
Also the Polo Head Chef needs to know because if it is not a top quality piece of Prime Steak, something is WRONG.  We have learned the best way to order a Filet in Polo is Medium Rare because it is always a nice thick cut and if I get to a point where it is too rare, that is when I stop eating. Makes my Cardiologist happier anyway 🤪
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

56 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Red,

I hope when you had this bad experience in Polo you took a minute to have a chat with the Maitre d because he/she needs to know they are dropping the ball.  it happens and a quiet conversation is welcomed by them and they look forward to seeing you again to show you they heard your message and are committed to delivering O quality product and service. On one trip we had a negative experience in Polo, chatted with the Maitre d and were told to return ANYTIME, no reservation required. It does not get better than that 😇👍🍷.
Also the Polo Head Chef needs to know because if it is not a top quality piece of Prime Steak, something is WRONG.  We have learned the best way to order a Filet in Polo is Medium Rare because it is always a nice thick cut and if I get to a point where it is too rare, that is when I stop eating. Makes my Cardiologist happier anyway 🤪
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Really!! Do you not believe the Head Chef is not knowledgeable about the quality of steaks they are preparing long ( days) before it hits your table? 

I personally have no idea whether the issue is supply chain problems or debt problems ( they buy what they can afford) or both. However, I believe the Head chef is fully aware of what’s being served. 

Fwiw, on the Sirena in Tuscan Steak, we got top quality prime rib one evening, and  a grisly tough to eat Tuscan Steak on another night. Huge difference in meat quality. I’m sure the Chef realized the issues.

• Like 1

Pinot, 

Like you, just sharing experiences. Yes, the Chef should know but Dry Aged Prime meats should not be gristled cardboard or worse but it does happen. We know they are paying for it so we might as well tell them they were not getting it. Most important, they need to be told when it is not good because they should not be surprised in a Mid or end of cruise survey. If we had meals that were not up to standard, we always say something and have always been promptly responded to. 
MHO, Mauibabes,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Pinot, 

Like you, just sharing experiences. Yes, the Chef should know but Dry Aged Prime meats should not be gristled cardboard or worse but it does happen. We know they are paying for it so we might as well tell them they were not getting it. Most important, they need to be told when it is not good because they should not be surprised in a Mid or end of cruise survey. If we had meals that were not up to standard, we always say something and have always been promptly responded to. 
MHO, Mauibabes,

I agree that saying something is important.  if you don't, the Chef or the management may decide no body noticed, so gristle is OK.

Edited by 1985rz1

For the lower cabins where only 1 reservation is allowed:

If we travel with another couple, can each of us book table for 4 in each restaurant, so each couple basically will have two dinners in each restaurant?

36 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

If we travel with another couple, can each of us book table for 4 in each restaurant, so each couple basically will have two dinners in each restaurant?

No.  If you add a couple to your reservations, it uses theirs.  You will need their booking number to add them.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

it does not matter who books the res  you can only pre reserve the allotted number per  your cabin category

You can go to the reservations desk once onboard & see if you can get  more seatings 

• Thanks 1

Our tradition is to dine at Polo the last night of our cruise. Ergo, we dined there one week ago on Marina before our arrival back in Miami. Everything was fine until our entrees were served: my prime rib, ordered medium, was not even medium rare, and my spouse’s porterhouse, ordered medium rare, was well done and half the thickness as usual, a very weird-looking piece of meat.

After our server actually asserted repeatedly that my bloody red prime rib was medium and then argued with my spouse about it, my spouse requested to speak to the Polo maitre d’. Our server did not want to allow that either! Spouse patiently and quietly repeated this request twice. Finally he went off and got him. The maitre d’ took one look at our entrees and immediately had both removed. I ordered the filet and husband’s porterhouse reappeared twice the thickness and done perfectly.

It was so weird to have to argue with the server about such obvious issues. 

In general, IMO the food in all four specialty restaurants and the Grand Dining Room was excellent but there were a lot of service issues with both new and seasoned staff and clearly reduced staffing in both the Terrace Cafe and GDR.

BTW, we had a terrific cruise with wonderful weather and lovely fellow passengers except for the usual two or three know-it-alls. I simply am responding to some of the posts above regarding Polo by reporting our unusual recent experience. 

Edited by CintiPam

34 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Everything was fine until our entrees were served: my prime rib, ordered medium, was not even medium rare, and my spouse’s porterhouse, ordered medium rare, was well done

That sounds like what happened to us on our first Oceania cruise, back in 2011.  [Not just once, but every night – one night two filets ordered medium rare came rare and medium well!]. And that was why our second Oceania cruise didn't occur until 2022!  This year Oceania [and Azamara] cooked all our meat orders exactly as ordered.  There only needs to be one person in the kitchen who knows how to cook meat to order – no excuse for not getting that right!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That sounds like what happened to us on our first Oceania cruise, back in 2011.  [Not just once, but every night – one night two filets ordered medium rare came rare and medium well!]. And that was why our second Oceania cruise didn't occur until 2022!  This year Oceania [and Azamara] cooked all our meat orders exactly as ordered.  There only needs to be one person in the kitchen who knows how to cook meat to order – no excuse for not getting that right!

Another important issue is that the kitchen and the wait staff has to be in sync. Beef continues to cook after it comes off the grill. Even more so, if put under a heat lamp to stay warm. 

If the wait staff gets behind because of staffing issues, slow waiters, or that happy birthday serenade , and your steak is just sitting there waiting under the heaters, you’re in trouble. That perfectly prepared steak isn’t when it gets to you! 

Sometimes the kitchen just has to basically stop and let the waiters catch up. Easier said than done. Then someone is complaining on why it taking the kitchen so long to get their course out! 🥺

We have been through all of the specialty restaurants at least once - some twice on our current Marina voyage.  Only Polo really disappoints.

Polo - F steak was overcooked and tough (it was a 12 oz rib eye which should never be either).

Toscana - B plus. Service was spotty the first visit second visit was exceptional.  Osso Buco was a little tough needed to be cooked longer. Lobster Fra Diavolo was excellent.

Jacques - A.  Food was exceptional.  Onion soup and Chocolate moose were to die for.  Lobster Thermidor and prime rib both excellent.  Only negative (as expected) is the noise level when full.

Red Ginger.  B minus.  Never a fan of fake Asian food.  Sushi and Sashimi were both garbage. Sashimi was micro thin and was only tuna and salmon.  The rolls were chewy and the rice was poor quality.  Pad Thai was very good -- needed some additional fire and some Chili oil fixed that.

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, 1985rz1 said:

You can book tables in advance, but are limited in number according to cabin category.  These are the only guaranteed reservations.  You can ask for additional reservations on board, space available.

Here's the breakdown of the guaranteed reservation by ship and category:

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise: 

Marina and Riviera 
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom 
All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant 

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena 
Concierge Level Veranda and above 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

All other categories 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

There are different booking windows depending on the cabin level. If you book an Ocean view, you will have fewer options when you go to book, as the higher categories will have had the first shot.  Here are the windows by category.

Specialty restaurant reservations may be made in advance in the Booked Cruises section of My Account on our website, or by phone, according to the schedule below, and may be changed up until 7 days prior to sailing. Bookings must be paid in full prior to making dining reservations. Reservations may also be made on board. Guests with priority embarkation privileges (Concierge and above) will have Priority Reservations from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm in Polo Grill. Guests in other staterooms can make their specialty restaurant reservations from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm.  

• Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
    Advance reservations may be made on the date final payment is due and has been received until 7 days prior to sailing, which varies between 90 and 150 days, depending on length of sailing. 
  • Penthouse Suite 
    Reservations may be made 75-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full.
  • Concierge Level Veranda 
    Reservations may be made 60-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

All Other Categories 
Reservations may be made 45-7 days prior to sailing, if the booking is paid in full. 

We got locked out of Jacques this time. This was a last minute booking.Also we normally only do a table for 2. The Reasons: (1)We're foodies & order more than just a single app & entree'. This can slow down the entire table, unless they are all foodies. (2) We're a gay couple & have experienced less than polite tablemates. One would think O pax are more worldly(some aren't) We don't need to be bothered by ignorant pax. Le reserve is the one place this has not occurred.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Did you book within 7 days of departure ?

How were you locked out?

Sorry, the cruise is Jan. 31. Looks like all the time slots on Jacques are filled. We do expect this will change at some point during the cruise.Not a big deal as the food elsewhere on the ship is fine.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Everyone is guaranteed at least one reservation in each restaurant. If you didn’t eat at Jacques, it was your decision. The staff at the Reservation desk would have gotten you in. You weren’t locked out.

It was NOT our decision. The times are all currently filled. If you've read the posts I put, you'd figure that out. We don't care to deal with potentially unfriendly pax while dining.It makes for an unenjoyable meal. That's the reason we mostly choose a private table. There are plenty of pax who feel the same way we do. 

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

We have been through all of the specialty restaurants at least once - some twice on our current Marina voyage.  Only Polo really disappoints.

Polo - F steak was overcooked and tough (it was a 12 oz rib eye which should never be either).

Toscana - B plus. Service was spotty the first visit second visit was exceptional.  Osso Buco was a little tough needed to be cooked longer. Lobster Fra Diavolo was excellent.

Jacques - A.  Food was exceptional.  Onion soup and Chocolate moose were to die for.  Lobster Thermidor and prime rib both excellent.  Only negative (as expected) is the noise level when full.

Red Ginger.  B minus.  Never a fan of fake Asian food.  Sushi and Sashimi were both garbage. Sashimi was micro thin and was only tuna and salmon.  The rolls were chewy and the rice was poor quality.  Pad Thai was very good -- needed some additional fire and some Chili oil fixed that.

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

I'm Chinese & the food is fine. I mean really? fake? Well, I'm sure we could cook up some Tripe & Chicken's feet, but I doubt you'd eat it. Few of you Americans would ever really eat & enjoy true Chinese/Japanese/Korean food.Except my spouse. He actually likes Durian(personally, even I can't stand it) Try eating a Maine Lobster alive at your table & having to subdue it in the process. Ever eaten Octopus while still moving? They really don't serve really good Sushi/Sashimi on most ships for a reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rbtan said:

It was NOT our decision. The times are all currently filled. If you've read the posts I put, you'd figure that out. We don't care to deal with potentially unfriendly pax while dining.It makes for an unenjoyable meal. That's the reason we mostly choose a private table. There are plenty of pax who feel the same way we do. 

I'm Chinese & the food is fine. I mean really? fake? Well, I'm sure we could cook up some Tripe & Chicken's feet, but I doubt you'd eat it. Few of you Americans would ever really eat & enjoy true Chinese/Japanese/Korean food.Except my spouse. He actually likes Durian(personally, even I can't stand it) Try eating a Maine Lobster alive at your table & having to subdue it in the process. Ever eaten Octopus while still moving? They really don't serve really good Sushi/Sashimi on most ships for a reason.

You remind me of me and my husband, we are an interracial gay couple with a noticeable age difference.  Have totally given up on sitting at anything but a table for two.  We are both so not sensitive and have a great sense of humor (just ask us Lol) but some of the questions we have been asked, rather quizzed about, were beyond personal and inappropriate.  

31 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Sorry, the cruise is Jan. 31. Looks like all the time slots on Jacques are filled. We do expect this will change at some point during the cruise.Not a big deal as the food elsewhere on the ship is fine.

Keep checking maybe some slots will open up before the cruise

If not just ask at the reservations desk  (deck 5)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Keep checking maybe some slots will open up before the cruise

If not just ask at the reservations desk  (deck 5)

This ^^

Ask once on board, right at the start, and make sure you explain that this is *not* an "extra" dining request but rather you are trying to get "your one guaranteed" reservation at whichever restaurant.  You may not get the evening or the time you most prefer, but you will have an opportunity to eat there.

(Include that you want just a table for two; give a reason if you wish, or not.  I'm sure they have heard all kinds of special requests.)

Don't start off with a negative attitude such as "being locked out" before the cruise has even started.  Many difficulties can be remedied, and some/most of them without any difficulties.

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

Yes I have to all points.  Love Durian.. Have had sashimi lobster with the meat still alive and of course rice birds crunchy little devils.  My Chinese customers tried to gross me out.  I returned the favor when they came to USA in the early 1980's.

Been to the exotic food restaurants in Guangzhou in the early 1980's.

Tripe and chicken feet soup was food I had growing up as my grandmother cooked these.

I really do not like Asian Fusion.  Would give a similar mark to Regents Pacific Rim

Crystal had a decent Japanese restaurant with decent Sashimi.

Edited by PaulMCO

31 minutes ago, jjwoben1 said:

Does anyone know what will be considered specialty restaurants on Vista? And how many reservations in each? And, do you need reservations in the other restaurants?

So far  on O website  Polo, Toscana & Red Ginger  require reservation

Ember  says reservations   for dinner

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/vista/culinary-experiences

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

So far  on O website  Polo, Toscana & Red Ginger  require reservation

Ember  says reservations   for dinner

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/vista/culinary-experiences

Mysteriously, on my two bookings for Vista in Summer 2023, the online Manage Account only mentions the allowable number of reservations in Polo and Toscana.  No mention of Red Ginger or Embers.  Perhaps an I.T. issue yet to be resolved?