Update on Covid status of Majestic Princess

marie94949

We are half way through our 13 day cruise around New Zealand.  Last night they reported a high level of Covid infection on the ship.  Passengers are not sick or not very sick.  Everyone must test, there are cleaning crew everywhere and two KN95 masks were left on our bed last night.  And..they closed the laundry room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

18 minutes ago, traveldayz said:

We will be on the next cruise on the Majestic. Friends have been horrified that we are cruising and asked why we are going.

I replied " We haven't had Covid yet."

A recent news article just reported that only 1 in 20 haven't gotten COVID.  Count yourself as the minority.  

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2022/11/27/just-1-in-20-people-in-the-us-have-dodged-covid-infection-so-far-study-says/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

A recent news article just reported that only 1 in 20 haven't gotten COVID.  Count yourself as the minority.  

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2022/11/27/just-1-in-20-people-in-the-us-have-dodged-covid-infection-so-far-study-says/

Only for a little while longer, I bet, as we have a B2B2B coming up.

My husband has been asking if it's possible to have the latest vaccine as a booster. (Not eligible as we have already had 4 doses)

I can not speak for those in Australia.  But you could inquire.  I had my first two plus 2 boosters plus the bivalent one (total of 5).

I did a B2B for 25 days and walked away free of Covid.  

Good Luck.  Hope you get to enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, traveldayz said:

We will be on the next cruise on the Majestic. Friends have been horrified that we are cruising and asked why we are going.

I replied " We haven't had Covid yet."

You don't know that for sure! Some cases are so mild that you will never realize you had it! My husband had it with very mild symptoms. I decided to test although I had zero symptoms.....not even so much as a runny nose......and tested positive for 11 days!!! I would never have known!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Count me among those who haven't had it yet, I've only worn a mask when required, and been on numerous flights and five cruises since the restart.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Count me among those who haven't had it yet, I've only worn a mask when required, and been on numerous flights and five cruises since the restart.  

Count me in too.  Although we haven't been on any cruises, we have travelled and been in multiple group settings without so much as a sniffle.  We haven't worn a mask in well over a year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We must be lucky too....neither my DH or myself has gotten it.   I've been on 6 cruises for a total of 58 days since the restart and I never wear a mask unless they require it (doctor's office, etc).    Gotten all my vacs and boosters.  

I figure I'm going to get it at some point but I'm not losing sleep over it anymore.   

• Like 5

I managed to escape it until my 10 day cruise last September when I woke up on debarkation morning feeling fine but a “frog” in my throat. 

I got home and since I had to go to work the next day, I decided to test and was shocked it was positive, only because I felt fine.

It was like a mild/moderate head cold for me. 

I don't THINK I have had it. Had some of the symptoms in September, after returning home from a trip to London, but tested negative. I still think it's possible that it was a false negative. Of me, DH and our three kids none of us have had it. Maybe some sort of record! 😁

I think everyone reacts different to Covid (wether they have symptoms or not).

I write this as I’m on day 8 of having Covid for my first time (vaccinated and 3 boosters).

My symptoms have been between mild to moderate, but I certainly been much sicker before and I’m not going to be scared of getting Covid again.

But, the point I want to get at is this has lasted a lot longer for me than I thought it would.

I simply haven’t had the energy to go outside or walk around even if I wanted to.

Just thankful this didn’t hit me in the middle of a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had escaped covid until our 30 cruise on Island Princess in Sept.  We both tested positive the day we got home.  We were pretty sick and  still have lingering illness.  Both healthy, youngish(60) and fully vaxed.  

If you don't get covid on a long cruise it is a miracle in my opinion.  But, it was still a fun cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Same. Both my partner and I never had it either. We only ever wore masks when it was mandatory. Otherwise didn't bother. Taken numerous public transport.  I'm not worried about it. If I get it, I get it. If not, so be it. 

I cruise in December for 10 days so we see how I go. 😄

Edited by icat2000

We haven't had it either. A 20 day cruise starts next week and a 13 day on Majestic in January. Should be interesting as that seems to be one sick ship.. Hate that they keep closing the laundry room as we'll be over there for 3 weeks. When the ship had 800+ cases last month I think I remember that they didn't even offer the elites the free laundry option. It's going to be interesting.. and maybe a little "gamey"...

• Like 1

We haven't had it, but are strict maskers.  Been on about 6 cruises in the past year,

and several trips to Vegas.  Were just Very careful.  Sip and cover, all of that.

Not worried as much for myself, but for our young grandchildren who can't be vaxed yet.

Its still not known the long term affects of covid.  

I'm Not willing to gamble on them.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sabreline said:

You don't know that for sure! Some cases are so mild that you will never realize you had it! My husband had it with very mild symptoms. I decided to test although I had zero symptoms.....not even so much as a runny nose......and tested positive for 11 days!!! I would never have known!

Yes I’m almost certain that I haven’t had it. I work in health care and I couldn’t begin to guess how many times I have been tested. We were issued with packs of 20 at a time to test daily (or even more often at times)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I think everyone reacts different to Covid (wether they have symptoms or not).

I write this as I’m on day 8 of having Covid for my first time (vaccinated and 3 boosters).

My symptoms have been between mild to moderate, but I certainly been much sicker before and I’m not going to be scared of getting Covid again.

But, the point I want to get at is this has lasted a lot longer for me than I thought it would.

I simply haven’t had the energy to go outside or walk around even if I wanted to.

Just thankful this didn’t hit me in the middle of a cruise.

I'm similar to you. Tested positive the day we finished a Majestic cruise 2 weeks ago. Haven't felt too bad but can't shake the chesty cough and if I sit down it's snooze time. Lasting longer than the usual cold. 

Edited by leck57
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, leck57 said:

I'm similar to you. Tested positive the day we finished a Majestic cruise 2 weeks ago. Haven't felt too bad but can't shake the chesty cough and if I sit down it's snooze time. Lasting l9nger than the usual cold. 

And the vivid bizarre dreams are something else also for me. Figured I’m sleeping 14 hours a day.

I think work is kind of wondering if I ever plan to come back 🤣.

Back on topic, I just read on the Australia board that they are making all passengers on the Grand take a Covid test before reaching New Zealand (3 sea days from embarkation at Melbourne). They haven’t announced there is a high level of Covid and speculation is that New Zealand might be requiring this before first port for all cruises now.

This is not over folks.

I never tested positive but got sick when my husband had COVID…and stayed sick for four months. I have autoimmune issues, so doctors seemed totally unsurprised that I never tested positive but most likely had COVID. They’ve seen it all by now. Finally, my body was so exhausted from being sick for so long that I got shingles (despite having two of those vaccines). They put me on an antiviral for that and immediately everything got better. That’s when they finally told me I’d had COVID and long COVID. 

It’s not just a cold for everyone. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1