City Cats to pick up passengers from Brisbane Cruise Terminal??

Second hand news  My girlfriend just emailed me that there was a report on the radio that the City Cats will pick up passengers from Brisbane Cruise Terminal.  What a lovely scenic way to cruise in to the City along the Brisbane River. That is a wonderful common sense decision, if it is true.  (Sorry I don't have time to research at present, but it was too good news to not share.)

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Second hand news  My girlfriend just emailed me that there was a report on the radio that the City Cats will pick up passengers from Brisbane Cruise Terminal.  What a lovely scenic way to cruise in to the City along the Brisbane River. That is a wonderful common sense decision, if it is true.  (Sorry I don't have time to research at present, but it was too good news to not share.)

I’m not totally familiar with the new cruise terminal but would they  have enough ferries to move 3,000 passengers on disembark?

And what about their regular service and obligations?

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That would be wonderful. We used to always get the ferry from Portside when we had a port stop there. It made for a very pleasant day out. Ferry each way then pottering around the city or South Bank, and a nice lunch somewhere.

We didn't bother getting off the ship the last two times we stopped at the BICT.

26 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m not totally familiar with the new cruise terminal but would they  have enough ferries to move 3,000 passengers on disembark?

I'm not familiar with the capacity of the City Cats.  I would assume the services would operate outside peak hour.  

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That would be wonderful. We used to always get the ferry from Portside when we had a port stop there. It made for a very pleasant day out. Ferry each way then pottering around the city or South Bank, and a nice lunch somewhere.

We didn't bother getting off the ship the last two times we stopped at the BICT.

Brisbane City Council certainly needed to do something.  It couldn't afford for passengers to just stay on the ship instead of spending money in the CBD.  The current situation is bad publicity for the City, which has so much to offer tourists. 

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I'm not familiar with the capacity of the City Cats.  I would assume the services would operate outside peak hour.  

Coral Princess tenders take 120 people so using that as a guideline I think the City Cats would probably hold at least 250 people seated inside, plus more outside. 

They wouldn't have to transport 3000 passengers. Many would do excursions. I don't recall the City Cats being overcrowded when we used them from Portside but there was a fair number of people using them. 

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

If you compared it to say white bay and when captain cook did a transfer.

It was only a short ride but from what I understand Brisbane terminal is in the middle of nowhere.
A shuttle bus to the airport and train would be more efficient.

Great idea.  When we left Coral in June at 9am the taxi queue was a mile long.  Our flight wasn’t until 8pm.  In the taxi line I decided that I couldn’t be bothered getting a taxi in and finding somewhere to leave our luggage then picking it up and getting back out to the airport.  So I rang the airport hotels and got a day room.

My preference is for a city cat to Portside or city, somewhere to leave luggage then we could spend the day out and about in Brisbane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

If you compared it to say white bay and when captain cook did a transfer.

It was only a short ride but from what I understand Brisbane terminal is in the middle of nowhere.
A shuttle bus to the airport and train would be more efficient.

But not as scenic.  It is a beautiful trip along the Brisbane River. 

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

But not as scenic.  It is a beautiful trip along the Brisbane River. 

It would be but do they have the capacity?

They seem to have put the horse before the cart 

‘They might buy a couple of the old Manly ferries.

Edited by Chiliburn

41 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Ask Big Gav, as that is where the story comes from. 

It is not that a wharf is being built, but the cruise lines see the need for the river link to be created. The way it reads, it is more about getting day visitors to leave the ship and head into the city than to provide a convenient link for embarkation/disembark.

To provide an $8 casual service seems a bit of a fantasy though.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/for-8-a-fastcat-straight-to-cruise-ship-royal-caribbean-boss-is-onboard-20221202-p5c36i.html

Edited by arxcards

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

if it is true

It seems doubtful. For one thing there is nowhere to offload ferry passengers at the cruise terminal.

They would need to build a wharf capable of handling the Citycats and safely offloading passengers. Before doing that, they would need to take account of the infrastructure already there.

The structures just upstream of the terminal are used for unloading petroleum products to the storage tanks on Bulwer Island. There are obvious safety problems with allowing passenger vessels access to the area.

Downstream you are encroaching on the sewage works and its outfall.

It's a nice idea but I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

Just now, SinbadThePorter said:

It seems doubtful. For one thing there is nowhere to offload ferry passengers at the cruise terminal.

They would need to build a wharf capable of handling the Citycats and safely offloading passengers. Before doing that, they would need to take account of the infrastructure already there.

The structures just upstream of the terminal are used for unloading petroleum products to the storage tanks on Bulwer Island. There are obvious safety problems with allowing passenger vessels access to the area.

Downstream you are encroaching on the sewage works and its outfall.

It's a nice idea but I don't see it happening.

Where would they go to ,it would have to be a hour by ferry to Brisbane 

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Ask Big Gav, as that is where the story comes from. 

It is not that one is being built, but the cruise lines see the need for the river link to be created. The way it reads, it is more about getting day visitors to leave the ship and head into the city than to provide a convenient link for embarkation/disembark.

To provide an $8 casual service seems a bit of a fantasy though.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/for-8-a-fastcat-straight-to-cruise-ship-royal-caribbean-boss-is-onboard-20221202-p5c36i.html

Sounds like the pie in the sky private island.

• Like 1

I read on Facebook that Gavin Smith from Royal Caribbean wants the City Cats to operate from the new terminal for $8 into the City which would be a good for the economy because people on day trips could spend the time in Brisbane and saves worrying about expensive taxi/Uber fares for a few hours in the City

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Where would they go to ,it would have to be a hour by ferry to Brisbane 

Non-stop at full speed a Citycat would take about an hour to go from the cruise terminal to the CBD.

They would not be allowed to use the ferry terminals, so they would have to find a public jetty to tie up to.

$8 seems optimistic as this is would not be public transport. There is the cost of hiring the Citycat, insurance, fuel, staff, etc.

At the moment it's a daydream and we just have to put up with a lack of public transport. Just as we do with almost all cruise terminals around the country that were not lucky enough to be built next to Circular Quay.

23 minutes ago, 2022cruisey said:

Great idea.  When we left Coral in June at 9am the taxi queue was a mile long.  Our flight wasn’t until 8pm.  In the taxi line I decided that I couldn’t be bothered getting a taxi in and finding somewhere to leave our luggage then picking it up and getting back out to the airport.  So I rang the airport hotels and got a day room.

My preference is for a city cat to Portside or city, somewhere to leave luggage then we could spend the day out and about in Brisbane.

Maybe at the start of cruising, the taxi drivers weren't aware of the new terminal. When we disembarked on 12th November there was no shortage of taxis. There was no queue and there were about half a dozen taxis waiting. This was early in the disembarkation process. A week earlier when we went to the terminal by taxi, the driver told us that their despatcher had advised them that a ship would be at the terminal.

I feel it would be better for shuttle buses to be available. The trip from the terminal to the Brisbane CBD would take much more than an hour.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe at the start of cruising, the taxi drivers weren't aware of the new terminal. When we disembarked on 12th November there was no shortage of taxis. There was no queue and there were about half a dozen taxis waiting. This was early in the disembarkation process. A week earlier when we went to the terminal by taxi, the driver told us that their despatcher had advised them that a ship would be at the terminal.

I feel it would be better for shuttle buses to be available. The trip from the terminal to the Brisbane CBD would take much more than an hour.

Shuttle busses to Portside to catch the City Council ferry there could be an option.

3 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Non-stop at full speed a Citycat would take about an hour to go from the cruise terminal to the CBD.

They would not be allowed to use the ferry terminals, so they would have to find a public jetty to tie up to.

$8 seems optimistic as this is would not be public transport. There is the cost of hiring the Citycat, insurance, fuel, staff, etc.

At the moment it's a daydream and we just have to put up with a lack of public transport. Just as we do with almost all cruise terminals around the country that were not lucky enough to be built next to Circular Quay.

There are links by road already, so that is not what is preventing passengers going to the city to spend their money. If Brisbane Council wanted to support an $8 shuttle bus fare, that would be better than the ship operated $40 shuttle that the passengers are currently objecting to and choosing to stay on the ship instead.

In our own situation on Majestic in October, the two of us weren't about to pay for two of those fares just to browse some shops or hang about at Southbank. At Gavin's magic $8 fare, we would have taken a trip in on a bus.

A hybrid option - the ship secures/hires a cat, then sells the trip as a shore tour the same way they do for buses. The cat could then leave from the ships tender dock, and Royal Caribbean could charge an $8 fare for it. 100% not going to happen, as the pitch is about putting the onus onto the city to wear the cost for visiting passengers coming to potentially spend money.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

....... The way it reads, it is more about getting day visitors to leave the ship and head into the city than to provide a convenient link for embarkation/disembark.

Yes, that's the way I think they are proposing - just for day visitors on the ship port day.

I have been to Brisbane many times, mostly for business & a couple of times for NRL games.

Brisbane is not much of a city as a tourist destination - visitors to SE QLD go to GC or Sunny Coast. We have had a few port days there with no inclination to go into CBD. One time it was Melb Cup day & we caught a taxi to a local RSL club and enjoyed a lovely Melb Cup afternoon. Other times we just stayed onboard.

On one cruise where we were at Portside, we planned to stay onboard, but found out that everyone had to disembark for customs clearance & no-one could re-board until zero count. As we were off the ship, we decided to take a ride on the rivercat. We enjoyed a lovely cruise doing a full loop and back to ship - maybe an option under this proposal?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes, that's the way I think they are proposing - just for day visitors on the ship port day.

I have been to Brisbane many times, mostly for business & a couple of times for NRL games.

Brisbane is not much of a city as a tourist destination - visitors to SE QLD go to GC or Sunny Coast. We have had a few port days there with no inclination to go into CBD. One time it was Melb Cup day & we caught a taxi to a local RSL club and enjoyed a lovely Melb Cup afternoon. Other times we just stayed onboard.

On one cruise where we were at Portside, we planned to stay onboard, but found out that everyone had to disembark for customs clearance & no-one could re-board until zero count. As we were off the ship, we decided to take a ride on the rivercat. We enjoyed a lovely cruise doing a full loop and back to ship - maybe an option under this proposal?

Brisbane is as great a tourist destination as all other Capital Cities.  It has so much on offer. 

Roma Street Parklands (Went there this week for Enchaned Gardens)

Southbank with swimming lagoon, restaurants, gardens 

Queensland Performance Arts Centre, Qld Museum, Gallery of Modern Art, State Library, Qld Maritime Museum, Qld. Art Gallery, etc.

Botanical Gardens Mt Cootha

Mt Coot-the for a fabulous view of the city

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Day trips to Stradbroke Island, Moreton Island, Gold Coast and hinterland, Sunshine Coast and hinterland,

Australia Zoo.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Not everyone would use it but on disembark day it would be a bottleneck.

They would have put more ferries in service and then what happens when there’s not ship?

It would be the the same with a bus service,what about the buses when there no ship?

The ferries or buses would be running empty.

Captain cook and the white bay ferry isn’t going to start up again because it isn’t viable and that was a 15 minute ride.

37 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Not everyone would use it but on disembark day it would be a bottleneck.

They would have put more ferries in service and then what happens when there’s not ship?

It would be the the same with a bus service,what about the buses when there no ship?

The ferries or buses would be running empty.

Captain cook and the white bay ferry isn’t going to start up again because it isn’t viable and that was a 15 minute ride.

If ever it gets the green light they would only run the river cats when the ships in town so buses or ferries wouldn’t be running and it would be a good idea to get the tourist into downtown Brisbane to spend a few hours in town

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

They don't  need to ferry 3000 pax,  just the ones that want to use the service.