Retreat Cabana - new 'perk'?

airboss1998

We were on a HAL ship (and I'm gonna be skimpy on details as I don't want to get someone in trouble if they were doing something 'wrong') last week, two week cruise.  On about day 11, our Cabana server mentioned they had maybe gotten a new beverage manager and that they could now get us (without a drink package) bottled water (cans), sodas, and specialty coffees from the Explorations Cafe (Crow's Nest).  

For a specific reason (trying to maximize shipboard spend to make our next star level), we did NOT purchase Have It All, so we were paying for morning Lattes, etc.  If this is indeed a new policy, it does factor into getting the drink package or not.

Anyone know anything concrete, seen anything in writing?  I didn't push the issue, but don't want to be the 'I read it on the internet' guy.... lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airboss1998 said:

For a specific reason (trying to maximize shipboard spend to make our next star level), we did NOT purchase Have It All,

HIA maximises the number of days credit much better than on board spend.  Presuming you were on a 14 day cruise, then with HIA you will be credited 14 days 'spend' credits.  For On board spend to be a similar level you would need to spend $4200 to earn the 14 days 'spend' credits.  14 days is the maximum that you can earn on a 14 day cruise. HIA on a 14 day cruise costs $700 (each for first two occupants).

A suite would give another 14 days.

To my way of thinking a suite and HIA would gain optimum number of 'days' at the best price.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Not really understanding what you are saying.  They could always get you whatever you want as long as you give them your cruise card to charge.  I see no benefit for them doing it free of charge because it’s going to need to be changed somewhere.

I am assuming she means they were given totally free non-Al beverages 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Maybe.  I'm curious how one gets a new beverage manager mid cruise.  I suspect this was the cabana stewards idea maybe to increase tips.   I've been asked if I wanted an extra bottle of water on top of the 2.  Usually 2 a day works because I like some in the room too.

• Thanks 1

Our servers in the Retreat cabanas offered us extra waters at no cost, and bubbly (and mimosas). There was decent brewed coffee available from the servers (or at the counter), but I didn't see any offers for speciality coffees. We didn't request any sodas, so I'm not sure if they were offering those or not.

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Not really understanding what you are saying.  They could always get you whatever you want as long as you give them your cruise card to charge.  I see no benefit for them doing it free of charge because it’s going to need to be changed somewhere.

13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

that is correct, sorry I was not more explicit.  For the first 11 days they asked for our room card to get us specialty coffees, and the occasional soda. On day 12, they said they were ‘included with the cabana’.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

HIA maximises the number of days credit much better than on board spend.  Presuming you were on a 14 day cruise, then with HIA you will be credited 14 days 'spend' credits.  For On board spend to be a similar level you would need to spend $4200 to earn the 14 days 'spend' credits.  14 days is the maximum that you can earn on a 14 day cruise. HIA on a 14 day cruise costs $700 (each for first two occupants).

To my way of thinking a suite and HIA would gain optimum number of 'days' at the best price.

My understanding is that HIA, included as part of the cruise fare, does not increase credits. Perhaps adding it HIA after booking counts as onboard spend?

From what you’re  writing, are you stating a verandah, with HIA would get 2 credits per night?   I’m well aware of the benefits of suite life, thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airboss1998 said:

My understanding is that HIA, included as part of the cruise fare, does not increase credits. Perhaps adding it HIA after booking counts as onboard spend?

From what you’re  writing, are you stating a verandah, with HIA would get 2 credits per night?   I’m well aware of the benefits of suite life, thanks.

Thank you for the clarification.  Unless things have changed in a week it’s not included.  I’m thinking they were looking for a tip.  There is nothing wrong with it.  I enjoy the cold cloths they used to have in the cabanas.  When I asked about them they said the beverage manager decides if it will be done or not.  That person seems to be really busy 😛.

9 hours ago, airboss1998 said:

We have completed 3 cruises since the restart.  Two had HIA included and for one cruise we purchased HIA as an add on.

All three cruises gave maximum credit for the 'Spend' element.  There was no difference between HIA being included in the price and HIA being purchased as an add on.  The twelve day cruises gave 12 days + 12 days 'Spend' = 24 total for each.  The 14 day cruise was 14 +14 = 28.

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We have completed 3 cruises since the restart.  Two had HIA included and for one cruise we purchased HIA as an add on.

All three cruises gave maximum credit for the 'Spend' element.  There was no difference between HIA being included in the price and HIA being purchased as an add on.  The twelve day cruises gave 12 days + 12 days 'Spend' = 24 total for each.  The 14 day cruise was 14 +14 = 28.

I don’t think that’s a given.  For my 2 -7 day cruises I got 7 the first week but my cabana purchase was probably in there.  For the second week I got 3 spend points.  I never maxed out my drinks so maybe that has to do with it.  The hia is part of the cruise price so it shouldn’t count as spending.  I had a lot of spending on this cruise besides the hia.

• Like 2

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t think that’s a given.  For my 2 -7 day cruises I got 7 the first week but my cabana purchase was probably in there.  For the second week I got 3 spend points.  I never maxed out my drinks so maybe that has to do with it.  The hia is part of the cruise price so it shouldn’t count as spending.  I had a lot of spending on this cruise besides the hia.

It was stated on another thread, many months ago, that the number of drinks you actually consume are counted toward your points above and beyond your HIA purchase.  So you get points for the value of HIA and additionally points for the drinks you sign for, as if you had purchased them.  I usually spend enough to go beyond my max so have never determined if that is true 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe.  I'm curious how one gets a new beverage manager mid cruise.  I suspect this was the cabana stewards idea maybe to increase tips.   I've been asked if I wanted an extra bottle of water on top of the 2.  Usually 2 a day works because I like some in the room too.

Crew including Senior Officers, can (and do) often change during a cruise.  Crew changes are not limited to embarkation/debarkation ports and can happen at many intervening ports during a voyage.  Officers come and go based on their contracts.  We have even had Captains, Chief Engineers and Hotel Managers change during our cruises.  

Hank

On 12/5/2022 at 5:27 AM, VMax1700 said:

DH and I were on zuiderdam for the Panama canal transit last month and had the HIA + crew appreciation as part of our cruise fare. We will probably NOT get any cruise credits for on board spending (other than spending our OBC). Our statement shows a line item of HIA promotion for zero $ for each day of the cruise. I don't know if any other ship is accounting for HIA this way.

1 hour ago, yerdua said:

DH and I were on zuiderdam for the Panama canal transit last month and had the HIA + crew appreciation as part of our cruise fare. We will probably NOT get any cruise credits for on board spending (other than spending our OBC). Our statement shows a line item of HIA promotion for zero $ for each day of the cruise. I don't know if any other ship is accounting for HIA this way.

It has been well documented here that if you have HIA, and the things included DO count as spending for Mariner points. Remember, you limited to $300 per day in Mariner spending credits(one point)...one per day for being on the ship, one per day if you are in a suite, and one per day for spending.

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It has been well documented here that if you have HIA, and the things included DO count as spending for Mariner points. Remember, you limited to $300 per day in Mariner spending credits(one point)...one per day for being on the ship, one per day if you are in a suite, and one per day for spending.

Here's a page from our statement. It's hard to see how the Mariner society will assign

Cruise days when each day's HIA is listed as "marketing Promotion" and $0.00. If we do get credit for the HIA I will be pleasantly surprised and will come back and report. 

Screenshot_20221206-090741_Navigator~3.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Here's a page from our statement. It's hard to see how the Mariner society will assign

Cruise days when each day's HIA is listed as "marketing Promotion" and $0.00. If we do get credit for the HIA I will be pleasantly surprised and will come back and report. 

Screenshot_20221206-090741_Navigator~3.jpg

We sailed for 18 days on N. Statendam this summer...got 52 credits with HIA and in a suite. We sailed for 14 days on KDam in Feb/Mar, got 42 credits...the maximum, in a suite and with HIA. We spent almost no money except our OBC of that cruise...no excursions.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We sailed for 18 days on N. Statendam this summer...got 52 credits with HIA and in a suite. We sailed for 14 days on KDam in Feb/Mar, got 42 credits...the maximum, in a suite and with HIA. We spent almost no money except our OBC of that cruise...no excursions.

Just off OOsterdam TA and 28 points for the 14 day sailing with HIA> We only spent the OBC received.

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am not questioning the mariner credits you received. I would be interested in knowing how the HIA was reported on your statement and if it was recorded differently from mine. I'm wondering if each ship records it differently.

22 minutes ago, yerdua said:

I am not questioning the mariner credits you received. I would be interested in knowing how the HIA was reported on your statement and if it was recorded differently from mine. I'm wondering if each ship records it differently.

I am not Bruce, but on my recent sailing on the Oosterdam I received full credits like Bruce.  Nothing showed on my Navigator statement about the HIA. And nothing, like what you posted from your cruse.   I figure since there is a cost associated with it it gets applied towards your Mariner credits.

Like @travelholicsI received full credit.

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am not Bruce, but on my recent sailing on the Oosterdam I received full credits like Bruce.  Nothing showed on my Navigator statement about the HIA. And nothing, like what you posted from your cruse.   I figure since there is a cost associated with it it gets applied towards your Mariner credits.

Like @travelholicsI received full credit.

Thanks kazu, travelholics, and cruiserbruce. I'm now cautiously optimistic!