Help me decide - Classic or Premium Drink Pkg.

LadyBerard

I'd recommend waiting until you're onboard for a day before upgrading to the premium as you cannot downgrade once it's added and there isn't a huge discount for adding it on pre-cruise versus onboard.

The classic beverage cocktails are going to be $9 or under and the premium beverage package cocktails are between $10 and $15.  Most of the premium cocktails are around the $10-$12 range.  For example, they list Titos and Absolute as $9.  Grey Goose at $11 and Ketel One at $10.

If you have the classic beverage package and want to purchase a drink with the premium spirits, you can just pay the difference between the price and your $9 limit, plus 20% service charge. 

Alternatively, you can always ask that the cocktail shown on the menu with a premium package spirit be made with the classic package spirit instead so there's no upcharge.  There are some exceptions for drinks that utilize red bull in the drink. You'll have to pay the difference on those.

Another reason to wait until upgrading onboard is that there have been shortages of certain premium spirits and wines onboard.

In looking at some bar menus drinks with liquors from he Premium package are in the $11 - 13 range. 

You could stay with the Classic package for a day or so and if you find the Premium package is what you want upgrade then.  Personally, in mixed drinks like vodka & tonic I can’t tell the difference between Tito’s and Grey Goose.

• Like 3

Do you drink wine?  Do you prefer Pellegrino for your sparkling water?

Do you typically drink the cocktails at the WCB?  Those are also some factors to use in your decision.  Is not signing a check after ordering a drink over the Classic limit important to you?  We value the convenience of not signing.

As others have suggested, you can try the Classic for a day or so.  Then decide based on your drinking preferences.  

The answer for us is to get the Premium package.  

Since you are asking the question, I assume you are not eligible for the Elite upgrade discount?

• Like 1

Here's my dilemma.  I may have a couple martinis at the martini bar in the evening, and perhaps a couple or a few (2 to 4 mixed drinks) during the day.........I do not do this every day, but there may be a few days that I do imbibe.  Titos and Absolute give me a headache for some reason, even after one drink.  I don't know why.  I am not a vodka snob, as at home, I drink Skyy which I do not ever get a headache from.  But if my recollection is correct, on our Summit cruise this Oct., which I had the premium package on, I did not see Skyy vodka on the shelves at the bar.  Also, I am elite, so I know I get a discount and my daily charge, should I upgrade, and it will cost approx. $14 a day now since Celebrity recently raised their prices to upgrade.  Just trying to figure out the break even point to see if it's worth $14 a day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Do you typically drink the cocktails at the WCB?  Those are also some factors to use in your decision.  Is not signing a check after ordering a drink over the Classic limit important to you?  We value the convenience of not signing.

Same criteria here, we probably do not break-even on the upgrade, but we do value the lack of a need to keep signing for things...

It used to be $10 a day + grat, but I believe they raised it to $15 + grat.  Just do the math to see if it works for you.  Based on the amount of alcohol you say you consume, I would think paying the extra $ or $$ would work for you and not upgrading.  If you drink wine, you are better off with the premium package.  

We also enjoy not signing tickets.  I doubt we "break even" on the upcharge vs pay as we go, but our typical day of drinks is Cafe al Bacio for coffee, a stop someplace late morning, something with lunch, a couple waters sometime, another late afternoon stop by the Martini Bar, dinner, something in the show, at least 1 evening stop.  If it's a sea day throw at least 2 or 3 more in so we end up with 10 to 13 individual tickets through out the day.  I know it's a first world problem, but not having to sign a ticket that many times is worth a good chunk of the cost to upgrade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

What is the significance of the wine question in the decision? Wondering bc I only drink wine as opposed to hard liquor or cocktails.  

I would agree about waiting until your on board, If upgrading find a bar/bartender you like and have them upgrade for you as I believe they get credit/tipped for your upgrade.  If your a martini drinker almost all the martini's at the martini bar are not included in basic...

We just returned from a 19-day B2B on the Equinox using the basic package.  Most of what my DW and I drink is covered we decided not to upgrade.  Our overages were in the $2 to $6 per day for a special wine and large martinis so the math worked in our favor.  BTY, at the martini bar they saw the basic package and always made me the smaller martini unless I asked for the larger one - they keep both glasses at the bar.  I agree with waiting until you board to make the final decision since you can't go back after upgrading.   Have a good trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I agree...........it's worth it just not having the hastle to have to sign.  I totally forgot about that.  Thanks everyone!

Hmm, I had the classic package last cruise and when I ordered anything from the premium package it was automatically charged to my on-board account, I never signed anything... Was I supposed to sign something?!

1 hour ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

What is the significance of the wine question in the decision? Wondering bc I only drink wine as opposed to hard liquor or cocktails.  

For many (us included) the Classic package wine choices are very limited leading to Premium wines or even higher.  With sodas, coffees, and teas it does not make no difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Better wines, or perhaps more variety of wines are presented in the premium package.  But I read recently that some folks were told that many of wines on the premium list were out of stock.  So another reason to start with the classic package and upgrade if they have what you like.

18 minutes ago, KatieDub said:

Hmm, I had the classic package last cruise and when I ordered anything from the premium package it was automatically charged to my on-board account, I never signed anything... Was I supposed to sign something?!

Perhaps they have eliminated the signing?    Covid or a permanent change?  If it is a permanent change then that advantage goes away.  Although I would be a little concern about being charged something without some kind of receipt.  

As I reflect back to October on the Silhouette, I did purchase a large premium beer and I did not sign a receipt.  But I was charged.

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Perhaps they have eliminated the signing?    Covid or a permanent change?  If it is a permanent change then that advantage goes away.  Although I would be a little concern about being charged something without some kind of receipt.  

As I reflect back to October on the Silhouette, I did purchase a large premium beer and I did not sign a receipt.  But I was charged.

I remember upgrading a martini which was $1 more plus gratuities over the premium package and I did not get a receipt so seems that "convenience" no longer exists. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Better wines, or perhaps more variety of wines are presented in the premium package.  But I read recently that some folks were told that many of wines on the premium list were out of stock.  So another reason to start with the classic package and upgrade if they have what you like.

I've only had AI twice and both times upgraded to premium not for the wines but I do like the sparkling water and they run $5.50 each per large bottle. That alone more than pays for the upgrade. If you're a wine drinker and enjoy better wines you'll be disappointed as just not there. 

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I remember upgrading a martini which was $1 more plus gratuities over the premium package and I did not get a receipt so seems that "convenience" no longer exists. 

That’s good to know. For me, it is an incentive to upgrade. On our last Celebrity Cruise they gave us a check to sign for the difference every time we exceeded the classic package limit. It seemed like a hassle for the bar tender, especially when they were busy.  And the check had a place to add an additional tip and tally it up. Did anyone else feel a tiny bit pressured to add something on top of the 18 % gratuity already automatically added to the extra cost of the drink?

1 minute ago, landlocked12 said:

That’s good to know. For me, it is an incentive to upgrade. On our last Celebrity Cruise they gave us a check to sign for the difference every time we exceeded the classic package limit. It seemed like a hassle for the bar tender, especially when they were busy.  And the check had a place to add an additional tip and tally it up. Did anyone else feel a tiny bit pressured to add something on top of the 18 % gratuity already automatically added to the extra cost of the drink?

No pressure at all and I'm not tipping extra for a martini that costs a $1 more in the case of the 25th anniversary martini   Takes the same amount of preparation.  Its like tipping $40 on a $200 bottle of wine.  Not happening   

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

I drink 2 bottles a day that's $11 plus gratuities. The upgrade to premium is $10 plus I like my Aspen coffee in the morning. 

I read in another thread that the cost to upgrade has been hiked to 15 bucks a day.  I'd still upgrade but dang...they get you coming and going.

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I read in another thread that the cost to upgrade has been hiked to 15 bucks a day.  I'd still upgrade but dang...they get you coming and going.

I had not heard that as the last beverage package I had was on the April Eclipse 11 nights. I would also upgrade from classic as I'm not sure if you can upgrade the cans of water on the basic package to sparkling water and I go through a few of them a day.  $15 upcharge plus gratuities is pretty steep.  Well if we want to cruise we just have to find other areas to cut back. 

• Like 1