MSC Newbie - Seaside or Meraviglia ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

We've cruised a lot, but have never tried MSC. Thinking of dipping our toes in the water and seeing "what's up"! We live perhaps 20+ minutes from Pt Canaveral so...

We thought we'd try a weekender 3 night sailing (yes, we know they tend to have a different vibe, but we're there for the ship) out of Pt Canaveral. Which ship would be recommended?

We usually sail in suites, so the Yacht Club might be of interest (we'll need to do some more research). We love the Haven on NCL, and enjoy Celebrity suites. We also have sailed in many Carnival suites, but those come with basically no perks.

I welcome any input which might help to show us the way !!

THANKS,

Tom

Have sailed on both a couple times and enjoyed both, have Mera booked again for 11 nights in January. On any MSC ship have never sailed Yacht Club, always Interior or Balcony. We prefer the Mera to Seaside, personal preference. Both are beautiful ships and very different. We also like the Divina a lot. And are trying the new Seascape in February. 

Loved both as well but for different reasons. I’d youre dipping your toe in with a 3 night cruise I recommend a YCI cabin.  Very economical yet with all the high level amenities of the suite life. I liked Meraviglia a tiny bit more than the other. Not quite as big and a bit more of a traditional feel. At the end of the day you can’t really go wrong with either. 

• Like 3

Seaside was my first MSC ship and I was blown away by it. As others have said, Mera is more closed in. With Seaside you'll be hard pressed to find a place where you CAN'T see the ocean.

I will say that I prefer the YC pool deck buffet on Seaside, but the pool deck itself I prefer on Mera.

I also like topsail better on Mera, but I prefer the overall ship design on Seaside.

But, as others have said, you can't go wrong on either. And I agree with what @Georgia_Peaches said about an inside cabin. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I liked Meraviglia a tiny bit more than the other. Not quite as big and a bit more of a traditional feel.

Overall, Meraviglia is a bit larger than Seaside/Seaview and even Seashore/Seascape. The newer ships are a bit longer but it's not enough of a difference to notice, though. 

Thanks for all the input.

I was looking at dates in the March-June time frame and keep hitting a wall. I've tried with both Chrome and Edge browsers, but when I select Yacht Club for any sailing, it takes me right to the guest info stage, without any options for what type of Yacht Club cabin I'd be getting. When I try selecting, for example, a balcony or suite - it runs right on through various upgrades and options and allows me to pick a specific cabin.

Somewhat frustrated, I called MSC and verified that (4/27 sailing for example) there are insides, club deluxe and royal Yacht Club cabins available. I told her the issues I was having and she said it must be my computer. That's rather strange, as I've tried two different browsers. Can any of you see options of cabins there?

Tom

I've seen the same error since yesterday. It's not you nor is it your computer. 

I even tried different stateroom categories and experiences and the same problem sometimes  happens. I messed around with the number of guests (reducing it to 2 for more options) and errors still happen. Give them a business day or 2 before trying again. With the recent promo change, I guess something got messed up. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks for all the input.

I was looking at dates in the March-June time frame and keep hitting a wall. I've tried with both Chrome and Edge browsers, but when I select Yacht Club for any sailing, it takes me right to the guest info stage, without any options for what type of Yacht Club cabin I'd be getting. When I try selecting, for example, a balcony or suite - it runs right on through various upgrades and options and allows me to pick a specific cabin.

Somewhat frustrated, I called MSC and verified that (4/27 sailing for example) there are insides, club deluxe and royal Yacht Club cabins available. I told her the issues I was having and she said it must be my computer. That's rather strange, as I've tried two different browsers. Can any of you see options of cabins there?

Tom

Hi Tom & Cheryl,

We have sailed together on CCL many years ago when I had a different screen name.

I live in Brevard and have taken the river queen more that once.

Try the MSC Global site, not the USA sight.

Also only use a TA!!!!!

I have done 5 YC sailings in the last 10 months and have 5 more for the next 6 months.

Meraviglia is actually my least favorite. My last cruises were on the Seaview, Seashore, and Meraviglia.

I have done 3 other ships.

I do have a Mera sailing in less than a month but pricing was a joke so I booked it. YC is now $2000 higher.

Again....only use a TA!

Steve

6 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Overall, Meraviglia is a bit larger than Seaside/Seaview and even Seashore/Seascape. The newer ships are a bit longer but it's not enough of a difference to notice, though. 

Interesting!  I guess that explains the bigger water park and bowling ally area on Meraviglia but I have to say Seashore “felt” bigger. 

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Interesting!  I guess that explains the bigger water park and bowling ally area on Meraviglia but I have to say Seashore “felt” bigger. 

I agree. I think it feels bigger because it's so open whereas Mera is more closed in. 

17 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Hi Tom & Cheryl,

We have sailed together on CCL many years ago when I had a different screen name.

I live in Brevard and have taken the river queen more that once.

Try the MSC Global site, not the USA sight.

Also only use a TA!!!!!

I have done 5 YC sailings in the last 10 months and have 5 more for the next 6 months.

Meraviglia is actually my least favorite. My last cruises were on the Seaview, Seashore, and Meraviglia.

I have done 3 other ships.

I do have a Mera sailing in less than a month but pricing was a joke so I booked it. YC is now $2000 higher.

Again....only use a TA!

Steve

Now I'm trying to guess your prior CC name... Steveaaaa (might not have the right # of a's)?

So, use a TA? I'm so accustomed to booking direct, it never occurred to me to use a TA.

It would seem that prices, mainly suite prices, have outpaced the rate of inflation - big time (most notably with Celebrity). On the one sailing I was talking (to MSC) about, the deluxe YC was ~$3k and the Royal YC was something like $4k. Is that about where it's been, or is that a significant increase for MSC ?

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Now I'm trying to guess your prior CC name... Steveaaaa (might not have the right # of a's)?

So, use a TA? I'm so accustomed to booking direct, it never occurred to me to use a TA.

It would seem that prices, mainly suite prices, have outpaced the rate of inflation - big time (most notably with Celebrity). On the one sailing I was talking (to MSC) about, the deluxe YC was ~$3k and the Royal YC was something like $4k. Is that about where it's been, or is that a significant increase for MSC ?

Tom

You are correct!!

MSC customer service and IT are a piece of crap.

I always book directly myself but not with MSC anymore.

So many issues. Great product but awful service.

Pricing has been best with MSC. I only book YC and would not book otherwise with them.

Steve

• Thanks 1