PANAMA CANAL

MajorDewey

19 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Yes and having done the full PC transit my preference would be to enter from the Atlantic to Lake Gatun, turn around, and come back out.  

Care to share why?

I'm hoping to cross the PC off my bucket list in the next couple of years but was generally under the impression that to "do" the canal you really need to go all the way through.

I'd be very interested to hear a different perspective.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Care to share why?

I'm hoping to cross the PC off my bucket list in the next couple of years but was generally under the impression that to "do" the canal you really need to go all the way through.

I agree. Going all the way through it is definitely the best way to see it. 

• Like 4

Did the partial transit years ago on Brilliance from Atlantic. Got off in Guyton Lake and then did the rest on small boat. Such a difference.  Bus back to Colon.  In October we sail on the Radiance from San Diego to Tampa.  Actually boarding in Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Did the partial transit years ago on Brilliance from Atlantic. Got off in Guyton Lake and then did the rest on small boat. Such a difference.  Bus back to Colon.  In October we sail on the Radiance from San Diego to Tampa.  Actually boarding in Vancouver. 

We are with you on the Panama Canal, from Vancouver!

Very excited to cruise the Panama Canal the “whole” way!

We prefer partial transit (sometimes with small boat excursion through rest of locks).  We've done 3 partials and 2 full transits.  Excursions on the Pacific side have very long bus rides, plus we like cruises that go to the ABCs as well as the Canal.  Had a 19 day Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver cancelled in 2021......

Not impressed with Chiapas on Pacific side, although Puntarenas was great and we did have one cruise that stopped in both Nicaragua and Guatemala.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lasekeye said:

We are with you on the Panama Canal, from Vancouver!

Very excited to cruise the Panama Canal the “whole” way!

Really excited about the trip.  Will look for plane tix to Vancouver next year.  Friends and cousins are joining us for the first leg.  Looking forward to meeting you.

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Care to share why?

After traversing the locks on the Atlantic side and crossing Lake Gatun the locks on the Pacific side were like watching paint dry.  Granted, we only did the "old" locks, so the new side might be different (I doubt it).  It's still a slow process going up/down the locks and after a couple it's time for lunch and a cocktail.  The lake is pretty with the jungle coming down to the water and some small villages you can see from the ship.  If you feel to "do" the PC you need to go ocean to ocean then by all means do it.  We found the ports on the Caribbean/Atlantic side much more interesting than the Pacific side.  Costa Rica excursions from Pacific side was long and Mexico is Mexico.  I would rather spend my time in the Caribbean.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Panama Canal(Full Transit) ! It's simply an amazing cruise. Caribbean gets old, don't care if we ever take another Caribbean cruise again the rest of our life.

I really enjoyed the video you posted @Jimbo. Thanks very much.

• Like 1