Voyager and 1st time in a GS. My pre holiday cruise

jean87510

2 hours ago, Td6462 said:

As I had said early in the thread "following along out of curiosity". You must have missed the review I did the 1st week she was out of PR.  Seems like not much has changed since our cruise 11/6. 

I've never seen anything like it before. 

I must have.  Can you provide a link?

2 hours ago, Td6462 said:

As I had said early in the thread "following along out of curiosity". You must have missed the review I did the 1st week she was out of PR.  Seems like not much has changed since our cruise 11/6. 

I've never seen anything like it before. 

I was on that same cruise, in fact for 3 cruises in November.  Have sailed from PR for over 10 years (always November and then January & February) and have never seen anything as bad as I experienced this year.  The staff in the Windjammer and at the Cafe Promenade needed medals.

• Thanks 1

Going on Voyager in January.  Did a bid for GS.  Haven’t heard yet.  Not sure if worth paying extra if we get the GS because at a port everyday and not in room much. Thinking of cancelling bid request. Any suggestions?  Wondering about recent posts concerning WJM issues and large amounts of families ect.  

24 minutes ago, jamin jul said:

Going on Voyager in January.  Did a bid for GS.  Haven’t heard yet.  Not sure if worth paying extra if we get the GS because at a port everyday and not in room much. Thinking of cancelling bid request. Any suggestions?  Wondering about recent posts concerning WJM issues and large amounts of families ect.  

That's exactly it, we don't need the extra space either but I'm wondering if it's worth it just be able to avoid windjammer and crowds lol 

8 hours ago, jamin jul said:

I would but that's me.  I didn't think we would be in the room that much but we actually were BECAUSE it was so nice and comfortable.  We too had all the port days.  There is room service plus the suite breakfast.  

So after researching onboard, at the airport and this am after being awakened by roosters in my Airbnb in St. Thomas, I decided to book a GS on the Grandeur out of Tampa July 1.  I'm officially hooked on the Suite Life as is my husband 😁

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, jean87510 said:

On our bus/taxi a guest shared she saw people in the WJ today putting cups, fruit, rolls, tea in a zip lock bags.  

🤣We have seen that happen ..... This one particular senior couple from NY who we keep running into on most cruises out of Bayonne and NYC.....They take dozens of bagels, lox, sandwiches, walnuts, fruit, yogurt, you name it into large ziplock bags. 😅

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

🤣We have seen that happen ..... This one particular senior couple from NY who we keep running into on most cruises out of Bayonne and NYC.....They take dozens of bagels, lox, sandwiches, walnuts, fruit, yogurt, you name it into large ziplock bags. 😅

Tacky...tacky...cheap.   

One family was caught piling those small boxes of cereal into large canvas bags.   They were reprimanded and not sure what else.  Cereal is expensive.  I think that is one of the main reasons most ships have gone to those big glass containers of self serve bulk cereal like a lot of hotels have. 

Too many think they have to "eat their money's worth" in more ways than one.  Hence the mountains of food they pile on their plates...and then leave half of it on the table.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

Tacky...tacky...cheap.   

One family was caught piling those small boxes of cereal into large canvas bags.   They were reprimanded and not sure what else.  Cereal is expensive.  I think that is one of the main reasons most ships have gone to those big glass containers of self serve bulk cereal like a lot of hotels have. 

Too many think they have to "eat their money's worth" in more ways than one.  Hence the mountains of food they pile on their plates...and then leave half of it on the table.  

Island lady, that’s just what happened on the Voyager in November, I’ve never seen as much food wasted.  Hope things will improve in January. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

It's a sickness.  Only way to explain.  Or money issues.  But if so, why are they cruising if they can't afford to buy food?  

I don't think it's a cultural thing.  I think it's just the attitude because it's free, Im gonna get all of it. Just trashy imo. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jamin jul said:

Where is the suite lounge on the Voyager? Do you get free drinks there in the evening? Or do you have to use your vouchers?

its on deck 14.  You have to use the aft port side elevators.  Free drrinks all evening 5 to 8 plus appetizers

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

its on deck 14.  You have to use the aft port side elevators.  Free drrinks all evening 5 to 8 plus appetizers

Ok. So, question(s):

1. Why not just have a drinks package so no need to confine drinking to this limited time? Or, are the drinks in the lounge all tippy top shelf?

2. Are these appetizers superior to food anywhere else on the ship?

3. What's the big draw otherwise of being in the lounge during this specified, limited time? Musicians? Or?

I mean, it's not crowded, is it? But if so, why so?

I don't get it (especially if it is filled with people).

TY

9 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Ok. So, question(s):

1. Why not just have a drinks package so no need to confine drinking to this limited time? Or, are the drinks in the lounge all tippy top shelf?

3. What's the big draw otherwise of being in the lounge during this specified, limited time? Musicians? Or?

TY

They serve hors d'oeuvres, similar to when you are at a party and a waiter is passing fine foods on a tray - although these are not passed by a waiter, they are at a serving station.

Our group likes to gather in the suite lounge before dinner for a drink and hors d'oeuvres. It's part of our routine and we see other people doing the same. We also like to stop there after dinner for a drink and small dessert before going to a show. It's nice to have a dedicated space for this purpose. Sometimes there are a lot of people (mainly the first night) but almost always we can get a group of chairs together. I suppose we could meet at a bar sans the hors d'oeuvres and hope we can get chairs. 

Having this access to an open bar makes a drink package unnecessary for most people because you wouldn't buy enough additional drinks to make it cost-effective, especially on a port-intensive cruise where you are off the ship during the day. Add in Diamond vouchers (which are not used in the suite lounge) and there is definitely no point in paying hundreds of dollars for a drink package. 

3 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Ok. So, question(s):

TY

1.  I can't answer the drink package question as I never buy it.  I get 4 drinks with Diamond.  I am happy with that.  With the suite lounge plus my 4 drinks, it doesn't make sense to buy it from my situation.  

2.  Appetizers were much better than the slop in the Windjammer.

3.  No musicians but great wifi signal plus a nice area to watch a movie on your tablet or read a book outside the suite lounge.

4.  My cruise was completely sold out with the suites and it was never crowded.  I enjoyed the free specialty coffee machine at 5am.

I normally will get an inside on port intensive or a balcony on TAs or Alaska.  This was my first time.  I really enjoyed the room the most.  We loved our balcony, the bathroom, the bathroom products and the shower.  I am one who really could care less about the MDR or the shows or even the Solarium or the main pools.  We are not ones who need to have bubble baths drawn or fawning stateroom attendants.  I loved my experience because it was very relaxing, the room was great, I really liked the suite lounge and the relaxing atmosphere instead of the pandemonium around the rest of the ship.  I got this room for a great price.  

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
36 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

1.  I can't answer the drink package question as I never buy it.  I get 4 drinks with Diamond.  I am happy with that.  With the suite lounge plus my 4 drinks, it doesn't make sense to buy it from my situation.  

2.  Appetizers were much better than the slop in the Windjammer.

3.  No musicians but great wifi signal plus a nice area to watch a movie on your tablet or read a book outside the suite lounge.

4.  My cruise was completely sold out with the suites and it was never crowded.  I enjoyed the free specialty coffee machine at 5am.

I normally will get an inside on port intensive or a balcony on TAs or Alaska.  This was my first time.  I really enjoyed the room the most.  We loved our balcony, the bathroom, the bathroom products and the shower.  I am one who really could care less about the MDR or the shows or even the Solarium or the main pools.  We are not ones who need to have bubble baths drawn or fawning stateroom attendants.  I loved my experience because it was very relaxing, the room was great, I really liked the suite lounge and the relaxing atmosphere instead of the pandemonium around the rest of the ship.  I got this room for a great price.  

But, I just want someone to unpack my clothes then fold and refold twice more before putting my stuff away.

No need for a drinks package. I'll bring my portable, carry-on still to make my own alcohol.

1 hour ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

But, I just want someone to unpack my clothes then fold and refold twice more before putting my stuff away.

No need for a drinks package. I'll bring my portable, carry-on still to make my own alcohol.

ok well to make it easy for yourself just don't get a suite 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1