Wine question: Don't Flame Me

E&D2004

3 hours ago, George C said:

We had dinner at the captains table just once about ten years ago and I believe Belle Glos was served almost bought a bottle of that when I picked up a assorted case at Tom Thumb 30 percent sale.

My last stash came from SAM'S 

$36 a bottle, Las Alturas

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Having two cabins allows you 4 bottles.

I have 4 Belle Glos ready for world cruise

Four bottles for a world cruise? What are you going to do for the other 76 days (assuming an 80 day around the world cruise)?

50 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Four bottles for a world cruise? What are you going to do for the other 76 days (assuming an 80 day around the world cruise)?

274 days

Drinks included. BG is for a few special dinners or sail aways 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Personally, I am partial to Conundrum, produced by Caymus vineyards. Here at home I can typically buy it for $17-19 on sale. On an RCI ship I saw the exact same wine for $60. That's a little more than triple the cost. That's about the generally mark-up across the board. The Opus One they sell for around $300 may very well be the less expensive Overture blend.

They sell overture blend for $162 and another variation for $379, at least according to the last menu I looked at.

On 12/24/2022 at 5:57 PM, John&LaLa said:

274 days

Are those all sea days or is there also time ashore in hotels between sailings?

On 12/24/2022 at 5:57 PM, John&LaLa said:

Drinks included. BG is for a few special dinners or sail aways 

Even with 4 bottles, you are going to have to ration it carefully to make it last. 

I would be looking at the different embarkation ports to see if there was a way to go ashore and pick up a new supply.  Each cruise is considered a different cruise right and the rules are two bottles for each stateroom for each cruise 🙂   Makes you wonder if you could bring it all onboard at once since I believe you can double up for B2B's. 

21 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Even with 4 bottles, you are going to have to ration it carefully to make it last. 

I would be looking at the different embarkation ports to see if there was a way to go ashore and pick up a new supply.  Each cruise is considered a different cruise right and the rules are two bottles for each stateroom for each cruise 🙂   Makes you wonder if you could bring it all onboard at once since I believe you can double up for B2B's. 

They've told us we will have modified booze rules and will be able to pick wine/beer up along the way to consume onboard. Details to follow

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, orville99 said:

Will you still get your three freebies every 7 days? Asking for a friend...

No need really, but they are working on some C&A 'experiences'

Many geared towards the Pinnacles, both existing and those who ascend along the way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

No need really, but they are working on some C&A 'experiences'

Many geared towards the Pinnacles, both existing and those who ascend along the way.

You are going to need an extra suitcase just for the crystal blocks😇

Since pin status perks traditionally start on the cruise after you make that level, I would hope that they do something really special for those folks😇although it is taking almost that long for them to send out the milestone recognition stuff now.

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

You are going to need an extra suitcase just for the crystal blocks😇

Since pin status perks traditionally start on the cruise after you make that level, I would hope that they do something really special for those folks😇although it is taking almost that long for them to send out the milestone recognition stuff now.

They have said they will honor all status changes on the day they are 'earned'

I'm assuming there will be a few mass celebration events as well. Just not your typical Top Tier events.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, E&D2004 said:

So here's the question for wine drinkers.  If you were to go into a fine dining restaurant in NYC, or just about anywhere else, and you had the means and wanted to have a bottle of Opus One with your dinner, you would be out between $1,000 and $1,300 for just the wine.  Not something I would ever do.  RCL is selling Opus One for $378 which is about it's retail cost.  If you have a dining package, take 20% off and it is about $300.  Still more than I have ever spent on a bottle of wine but I would think about it if it's a real deal.  What's wrong here? 

To put this back on track, if you feel good about the price then go for it. That’s a great price for Opus One if correct. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, E&D2004 said:

So here's the question for wine drinkers.  If you were to go into a fine dining restaurant in NYC, or just about anywhere else, and you had the means and wanted to have a bottle of Opus One with your dinner, you would be out between $1,000 and $1,300 for just the wine.  Not something I would ever do.  RCL is selling Opus One for $378 which is about its retail cost.  If you have a dining package, take 20% off and it is about $300.  Still more than I have ever spent on a bottle of wine but I would think about it if it's a real deal.  What's wrong here? 

Does it say Opus One or Opus Overture?? Retail is $395 and $150 respectively. 

• Thanks 1

I have just read thru all the posts. I will be on Jewel in February , my first RCCL cruise since the pandemic, so I am interested in what is available by the glass and the bottle.  I have just enough wine knowledge to be dangerously uninformed. .

Ah Conundrum. I go back to the days when it was under the Caymus label. I fell in love with it at a tasting at the Caymus winery.  After the Wagner family spun it off to its own label, it was no longer the outstanding wine it had been. While it is still good, it isn’t what it once was. Pricing on the ship, by the glass, is reasonable, but not a deal. I have never priced it by the bottle on the ship.

The Opus One pricing is interesting. I will research the Opus wines before I sail so as to decide if it is reasonably priced by the bottle. 

Please keep the info on the high end wines coming. It will be most useful.

14 hours ago, Straughn said:

Please keep the info on the high end wines coming. It will be most useful.

The issue we find is that of availability, especially given supply chain issues that have been and are still being experienced.   While there are a number of wines listed, not all of them are always available. 

Serious Queston for expensive wine imbibers:  Is a bottle at even $150, much less $1300 really THAT MUCH better than a similar varietal of similar year vintage under say $50?

For example, I love a good bourbon but I'm not going to pop mega bucks for  a Pappy or WL Weller when a 4 Roses Small Batch is just as tasty.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Serious Queston for expensive wine imbibers:  Is a bottle at even $150, much less $1300 really THAT MUCH better than a similar varietal of similar year vintage under say $50?

For example, I love a good bourbon but I'm not going to pop mega bucks for  a Pappy or WL Weller when a 4 Roses Small Batch is just as tasty.

Absolutely hated cheap Cabernet Sauvignon. Then I had a Caymus on Harmony. Loved it. $80 retail

Plenty of decent Pinot Noirs at around $30 retail

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Absolutely hated cheap Cabernet Sauvignon. Then I had a Caymus on Harmony. Loved it. $80 retail

Plenty of decent Pinot Noirs at around $30 retail

There are lots of good Cabernet Sauvignon in the 30 dollar range , just bought a bunch of Berringer Knights Valley . Caymus is definitely good most Napa wines are good.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Just like whiskey, it's subjective.  Some people will swear that it is, others will say the $7 bottle is amazing.  And is most cases, they are both right and lying.  

And worse, we've had wine that was really great on it's own, but fought with what we were eating, while other wine was meh on it's own and utterly amazing when matched with the right food.

At some point, it sure seems that the diminishing returns means that the bottle is just showing off.

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

No. The wines from $500 to $6000 or more aren't more "tasty," they are more rare and/or special in some way. And the people who pay those prices do so because they can. A $500 bottle will be noticeably better than a $50 bottle, to a serious wine drinker.

Edited by goldfish65