Amber Cove vs. St. Maarten

Crusin Karen

I agree that I would take the May cruise over the March cruise. There will likely be a lot of children & college students in March as it is prime spring break time.

Early May nearly all schools are still in school so there should be very few children.

Amber Cove was loud & crowded in August, but not at all in December.

It is a lovely port area, easy to get to.

I have not ever been to a beach in St. Maarten.

I guess the 2nd question--is a pool or beach a priority? (perhaps it doesn't matter)

Edited by KKB

18 minutes ago, KKB said:

OP did mention she is going solo, so $24.

I am not sure they would rent one chair and an umbrella for half price. Hopefully.  We got there at 2:30 p.m. and mentioned the late time of day when we heard the price - she was unmoved 😂

1 hour ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

If you want to relax I would not suggest Amber Cove even though its easier to get to the pool. I was there in June and it was LOUD. Think Margaritaville with the DJ and everyone partying. Then add the kids running around. There werent many places to "get away". On St Maarten you might have to hop a cab to the beach, but you can then find a quiet spot to just read and relax.

100% agree.  Was at Amber Cove in August and the pool was so crowded and noisy we only stayed an hour or so.  St. Maarten is beautiful with lots of options for a relaxing beach day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KKB said:

I agree that I would take the May cruise over the March cruise. There will likely be a lot of children & college students in March as it is prime spring break time.

Early May nearly all schools are still in school so there should be very few children.

Amber Cove was loud & crowded in August, but not at all in December.

It is a lovely port area, easy to get to.

I have not ever been to a beach in St. Maarten.

I guess the 2nd question--is a pool or beach a priority? (perhaps it doesn't matter)

Because the OP is talking about 10 / 11 day cruises,  I don't think there will be a lot of spring breakers on them. 😎

People PA-leaze! 

IF one wants to 'go to the beach' in St. Maarten the 'easy' choice is Great Bay Beach, either a water taxi or modest walk from the cruise terminal. I'd recommend hanging out at Holland House.  We've stayed there a couple of times. It's perfectly fine there but Great Bay is the industrial harbor for St. Maarten.  The 'BETTER' choice is to head by taxi to one or more of the greatest beaches in the entire freakin' world; Mullet Bay, Maho, Dawn or our favorite Orient.  Each is unique. Each offers its own twist (like the overhead jets at Maho). But there are none finer anywhere in the world I've ever seen (Curacao is close).  We'll be front row at Aloha Beach Bar in about two weeks if you want to join us for a Pina Colada. It will be somewhat emotional as it will be our first return trip post Hurricane Irma.  That b*tch destroyed everything. 5+ years is a long time to recover.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Because the OP is talking about 10 / 11 day cruises,  I don't think there will be a lot of spring breakers on them. 😎

She is? I don't see that anywhere...

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

People PA-leaze! 

IF one wants to 'go to the beach' in St. Maarten the 'easy' choice is Great Bay Beach, either a water taxi or modest walk from the cruise terminal. I'd recommend hanging out at Holland House.  We've stayed there a couple of times. It's perfectly fine there but Great Bay is the industrial harbor for St. Maarten.  The 'BETTER' choice is to head by taxi to one or more of the greatest beaches in the entire freakin' world; Mullet Bay, Maho, Dawn or our favorite Orient.  Each is unique. Each offers its own twist (like the overhead jets at Maho). But there are none finer anywhere in the world I've ever seen (Curacao is close).  We'll be front row at Aloha Beach Bar in about two weeks if you want to join us for a Pina Colada. It will be somewhat emotional as it will be our first return trip post Hurricane Irma.  That b*tch destroyed everything. 5+ years is a long time to recover.

There isn't much to Maho beach now after Irma.

11 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

HA HA!!!!!  Maybe someday someone will open a stand and sell Taylor ham sandwiches!

Oh dear, Karen, your North Jersey roots are showing. I grew up in South Jersey and it's Taylor Pork Roll. I actually can find it in our grocery store just south of Albany, and it's labeled "pork roll."😀

If I were just comparing going to Amber Cove and St. Martin, there would be no problem deciding - I love St. Martin, and I'm not a big fan of the manufactured ports. But  St. Martin does require the water taxi, and if you're looking to just get off the ship and enjoy some pool time there's nothing wrong with Amber Cove's port area.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The “free beach” in St. Maarten is not free in the long run.  $7 plus requested tip for the water taxi, then $30 for two loungers and an umbrella on the beach. The “recruiter’s” sign said free wi fi, but there was no wi fi where we went and the umbrellas were so close together they overlapped. It was a pleasant day, but not really worth $48.  

Because what's a beach without Wi-Fi!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

There wasn't much to it before but the jets interest folks. 🙂

Yeah that's the problem.  The jets interest too many folks.  There were about 8,000 people on that tiny beach on December 7.  It was impossible to move on the beach.

If you must see a plane land, look up the day's schedule, show up 20 minutes early (because that's how long it will take you to park and walk), watch the plane, then get outta there.

Oh and take $1 bills for the bathroom.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Oh dear, Karen, your North Jersey roots are showing. I grew up in South Jersey and it's Taylor Pork Roll. I actually can find it in our grocery store just south of Albany, and it's labeled "pork roll."😀

The minute I posted it I knew my error.  It's pork roll but when you order a sandwich we say taylor ham and cheese!  Hence mish mash of words! Grilled Taylor ham aka pork roll and swiss on rye!  Yumm!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CajunOyster said:

Because what's a beach without Wi-Fi!

I don’t really need wi-fi on a beach.  I do need honesty from people who are selling me something. I was offered two chairs, one umbrella, wi-fi, and access to a bathroom for $30.  I expect to get what is offered when I pay the price requested. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Unless you want to get some guavaberry liquor in Saint Maarten.  That's what I'm doing in 9 days.  Hee, hee!!

Please do tell! I'll be there in a couple weeks myself.  Never heard of that liquor but sounds good.

46 minutes ago, CajunOyster said:

Yeah that's the problem.  The jets interest too many folks.  There were about 8,000 people on that tiny beach on December 7.  It was impossible to move on the beach.

If you must see a plane land, look up the day's schedule, show up 20 minutes early (because that's how long it will take you to park and walk), watch the plane, then get outta there.

Oh and take $1 bills for the bathroom.

I've never done it personally.  YouTube works for me.

41 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

The minute I posted it I knew my error.  It's pork roll but when you order a sandwich we say taylor ham and cheese!  Hence mish mash of words! Grilled Taylor ham aka pork roll and swiss on rye!  Yumm!

Taylor ham and cheese on a hard roll, salt, pepper, and ketcup! :classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Taylor ham and cheese on a hard roll, salt, pepper, and ketcup! :classic_biggrin:

You and my Jim-twins seperated at birth!!!!!   Ate that exact same-usually at least twice/week from a great deli by us.  Wrapped in lined foil of course! 👍😛😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SERK said:

Please do tell! I'll be there in a couple weeks myself.  Never heard of that liquor but sounds good.

I'm pretty sure we bought a hand painted bottle near the port at a shop.  They were giving out free samples.  Yum!

guavaberry bottle.jpg

guavaberry.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm pretty sure we bought a hand painted bottle near the port at a shop.  They were giving out free samples.  Yum!

Definitely gonna get a bottle. Thanks!