Amber Cove vs. St. Maarten

Crusin Karen

I'm trying to decide between 2 cruises.  Similar itens, One in mid March, other early May.  Comes down to Amber Cove vs St. Maarten.  going to AC for first time in June. SM years ago.  I am cruising solo.  I don't want to do excursions.  I want to get off ship, have a short walk to pool or beach and sit on my fanny and relax.  Advice please?!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Theosprey247 said:

Amber cove would be easier, but St. Maarten is so much prettier in my opinion. 

🤔🤔  ok thanks!!!  We went to SM years ago and did an excursion tour and beach break.  But I just want something "simple" since I'll be alone. 

• Like 1

Well there is a pool/beach right off the ship in Amber Cove on property. A very nice pool with a swim-up bar, wading area, etc. I don't think there is a beach or resort within walking distance of St Maarten cruise terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I want to get off ship, have a short walk to pool or beach and sit on my fanny and relax.  Advice please?!?

You've described Amber Cove perfectly.  Literally steps from the ship is a nice pool with a swim up bar, acres of highly available loungers to flop down in and just chill out or read or whatever, a DJ or band, and a handful of shops.  Food and drinks are a la carte purchases, but use of the area is absolutely free unless you want a cabana (over water or poolside).  It's the best free "excursion" you'll find anywhere.

Meanwhile, while Sint Maarten is a beautiful island (my favorite, actually), the cruise terminal is in a short of industrial area and you'll need to get transportation to get to a decent beach or resort.  At Amber Cove, it's right there for you.

Edit: there are some other activities at Amber Cove that cost money (like a zip line), but there's no need to do all that if you just want to chill.

Edited by CajunOyster

For what you describe Amber Cove is perfect.  But St. Maarten is my very favorite Caribbean island. We've been there several times.  It's where I'd like to home base for a couple week trip to the Leewards.

• Like 1

Yep! Amber Cove then. We were there with another couple, so we opted to rent one of the cabanas. They have that area roped off then, with a wristband to use the loungers and such, but everything else is open. They have a zip line that was included in our fee as well. I can't tell you what it costs otherwise. I believe they do offer other things for a cost as well.

These are the cabanas, had snacks and water, misters, 4 lounge chairs reserved, and floatie things for the pool.

20221110_092108.jpg

The pool with the swim up bar.

20221110_094904.jpg

Some of the open lounge chairs across from the cabanas.

20221110_095229.jpg

Edited by kctwinmommy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, vswan said:

One thing that might influence your choice. Mid-March will probably be spring break and in May school would still be going on, so much less children.

Oh God yes.  I can't imagine how much college age dumbassity will be in the Amber Cove pool in March.

@kctwinmommy the zip line is $20/person for people not in a cabana.  For someone who really likes to Zipline a lot, it might be better to rent a cabana, as it includes unlimited Zipline.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CajunOyster said:

Oh God yes.  I can't imagine how much college age dumbassity will be in the Amber Cove pool in March.

@kctwinmommy the zip line is $20/person for people not in a cabana.  For someone who really likes to Zipline a lot, it might be better to rent a cabana, as it includes unlimited Zipline.

Well, I have to say, we were there in November, and plenty of stupid people were there. Nothing horrible, but just some obnoxious behavior.

And yeah, we did the zip line once, that was enough. I just wanted to lounge, so I didn't feel like climbing back up there. LOL! This is a video of the 2 husbands. It's a really short zip line too. So it takes like 15 seconds!

• Like 2

I loved Amber Cove.  It is sort of a cross between Grand Turk and Mahogany Bay.  Pool is better than Grand Turk.  Nice shopping.  st. Maarten has a beach along the shore in front of the shops.  Much more character, just depends on what you want.  EM

• Like 2

I would always opt for a port I have never been to before.  Having been to both Amber Cove and St. Marteen numerous times (going again in 3 weeks) I would opt for Amber Cove.  We get off the ship, walk the long pier and hang at the pool for a bit.  The shopping area has been developed quite nicely from what it was when they first opened.  For fun - being from the tri-state area make sure you look at the Nathan's food truck they have by the pool area and the line of people waiting for hotdogs and fries.  What we take for granted (having had a Nathan's in our area) is a novelty for most!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pe4all said:

For fun - being from the tri-state area make sure you look at the Nathan's food truck they have by the pool area and the line of people waiting for hotdogs and fries.  What we take for granted (having had a Nathan's in our area) is a novelty for most!

HA HA!!!!!  Maybe someday someone will open a stand and sell Taylor ham sandwiches!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WOW!  Thank you for all the thoughts and pictures too!  I'm ready to pack my bags!  Zip line is a NO but it would be fun to watch.  I am a CHICKEN.  I consider riding on a merry go round carousel an adventure.  Decisions, decisions.....🤔😊

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Personally I like the free beach on St Maarten better. You can take the water shuttle or walk to the downtown area.

Where's the free beach in St. Maarten? Walking distance from the pier?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It's walkable, but a long walk (for me). The water taxi is really cheap, right at the ship and will drop you off at the free beach, which is in front of the downtown shopping area.

FB_IMG_1673012847733.jpg

Edited by Cruisesfun65
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The “free beach” in St. Maarten is not free in the long run.  $7 plus requested tip for the water taxi, then $30 for two loungers and an umbrella on the beach. The “recruiter’s” sign said free wi fi, but there was no wi fi where we went and the umbrellas were so close together they overlapped. It was a pleasant day, but not really worth $48.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The “free beach” in St. Maarten is not free in the long run.  $7 plus requested tip for the water taxi, then $30 for two loungers and an umbrella on the beach. The “recruiter’s” sign said free wi fi, but there was no wi fi where we went and the umbrellas were so close together they overlapped. It was a pleasant day, but not really worth $48.  

OP did mention she is going solo, so $24.

3 hours ago, pe4all said:

For fun - being from the tri-state area make sure you look at the Nathan's food truck they have by the pool area and the line of people waiting for hotdogs and fries.  What we take for granted (having had a Nathan's in our area) is a novelty for most!

I grew up in Coney Island, I have a big Coney island tattoo on my thigh which includes the Nathans logo/facade. When we saw the truck we all laughed. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I'm trying to decide between 2 cruises.  Similar itens, One in mid March, other early May.  Comes down to Amber Cove vs St. Maarten.  going to AC for first time in June. SM years ago.  I am cruising solo.  I don't want to do excursions.  I want to get off ship, have a short walk to pool or beach and sit on my fanny and relax.  Advice please?!?

If you want to relax I would not suggest Amber Cove even though its easier to get to the pool. I was there in June and it was LOUD. Think Margaritaville with the DJ and everyone partying. Then add the kids running around. There werent many places to "get away". On St Maarten you might have to hop a cab to the beach, but you can then find a quiet spot to just read and relax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1