Beyond Live Jan 8 to Jan 22

mperrizo

14 minutes ago, mperrizo said:

We use a Credit Card that does not charge conversion or international fees. However many vendors in the Caribbean have the ability to charge in USD as many folks do not carry such a card and this helps them avoid fees.  The problem when a card is charged this way the vendor assigns the conversion value. In all of our travels I have never seen this be in the consumers favor unless there has been a recent volatile change in value. 

Today a quick google search tells me 1 USD equals 18.87 pesos the rate on Friday was just  about the same I believe. My lunch with gratuity was 2600 pesos and I tipped 420 pesos for a total of 3020 pesos which at todays valuation comes out to $160USD. At the time we made the purchase the vendors conversion that they would do automatically was  2600 pesos for the meal equaled $157 before tip or 1 USD equals 16.56 pesos.

It is always helpful especially if you plan on making a large purchase when the currency is not a 1 for 1 with the  USD, to look up the conversion rate at the time and also understand your banks fees for international transactions. You can also do this in a cash transaction by asking for what the amount is in local currency compared to USD and asking why you are getting such a poor conversion rate if it is poor. 

Whether you are paying in cash or credit the vendor normally tries to saddle the consumer with any fees they may have paid to covert the currency by giving a lower conversion rate. The reality is they probably are not paying fees depending on their banking institution and if it is a cash USD transaction they are using it to support other cash transactions. 

Remember this only works where a local currency is not tied to the USD. Several cruise ships ports like Nassau are tied to the dollar.  

We do the same when we travel in Europe for the same reasons you mention with the peso. Last year we pre booked hotels and private transportation in Rome, Florence and Venice all in Euros, to be paid at the hotel or a few days before. Most when we booked the exchange rate was $1.12 to the Euro, during our trip in August the exchange rate fell to $1 to 1 Euro so we saved a lot  on the conversions. We use nothing but CC's with no foreign conversion or transaction fees for use.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

So what were the names of your favorite martini bar bartenders?

Herman by far was our favorite (he was a great barman who didn’t juggle) the rest of the staff at the Martini bar were great as well they all  treated us like family including Francesco, Ari, Kidek, and I-Will. A few other standouts on the ship included Adrian at the pool bar and Daniel at the Mast Bar. 

Edited by mperrizo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mperrizo said:

We use a Credit Card that does not charge conversion or international fees. However many vendors in the Caribbean have the ability to charge in USD as many folks do not carry such a card and this helps them avoid fees.  The problem when a card is charged this way the vendor assigns the conversion value. In all of our travels I have never seen this be in the consumers favor unless there has been a recent volatile change in value. 

Today a quick google search tells me 1 USD equals 18.87 pesos the rate on Friday was just  about the same I believe. My lunch with gratuity was 2600 pesos and I tipped 420 pesos for a total of 3020 pesos which at todays valuation comes out to $160USD. At the time we made the purchase the vendors conversion that they would do automatically was  2600 pesos for the meal equaled $157 before tip or 1 USD equals 16.56 pesos.

It is always helpful especially if you plan on making a large purchase when the currency is not a 1 for 1 with the  USD, to look up the conversion rate at the time and also understand your banks fees for international transactions. You can also do this in a cash transaction by asking for what the amount is in local currency compared to USD and asking why you are getting such a poor conversion rate if it is poor. 

Whether you are paying in cash or credit the vendor normally tries to saddle the consumer with any fees they may have paid to covert the currency by giving a lower conversion rate. The reality is they probably are not paying fees depending on their banking institution and if it is a cash USD transaction they are using it to support other cash transactions. 

Remember this only works where a local currency is not tied to the USD. Several cruise ships ports like Nassau are tied to the dollar.  

thanks.. Not only enjoying the review but learned alot..Just shows that old dogs can learn new tricks!

love cruise critic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We do the same when we travel in Europe for the same reasons you mention with the peso. Last year we pre booked hotels and private transportation in Rome, Florence and Venice all in Euros, to be paid at the hotel or a few days before. Most when we booked the exchange rate was $1.12 to the Euro, during our trip in August the exchange rate fell to $1 to 1 Euro so we saved a lot  on the conversions. We use nothing but CC's with no foreign conversion or transaction fees for use.

we just  pre book via US trvl websites or hotel sites..US Dollars  .

Easier for us..not sure if we do better or worse 

Debarkation morning was here and today in Fort Lauderdale we arrived and started to secure to Pier 25 at approximately 6:45. This morning unlike a week ago was pleasantly warm. The last time we arrived into Fort Lauderdale and today the Beyond was the last ship to enter the channel to port. At Port Everglades we were joined by the Odyssey of the Seas, the Nieuw Amsterdam. Celebrity Reflection and the Regal Princess.

As we were out walking around with our fellow cruisers it was one last chance to take in the sites around the ship and breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe or Cosmopolitan restaurant.

Though it was a busy morning in Oceanview they were handling the crowd well and the back bar in the area had still not be discovered by our fellow cruisers on both legs of our B2B.

Though no announcement was made it appeared that people started to walk off the gangway beginning around 7:30 and an announcement was made at 7:35 that the ship has been cleared. Self debarkation had begun and the elevators started to get packed with passengers and their luggage in tow. 

Just 10 minutes later the first set of luggage tags was called tags 1-6. Then At 7:57 tags 6-12 were called and DW and I began to make the dreaded walk to disembark Beyond for the final time. After the long walk down the gangway and into the terminal where Captain Kate and Alexa, a member of the Cruise Directors Activity Team, stood there individually thanking cruisers as we disembarked into the terminal. We cleared customs and were standing outside waiting on an Uber in less than 10 minutes total from when we got off the ship. The improved photo identification that customs has been using really expedited departures when the system is up and running.

Total time from our luggage tag being called until we were waiting to check in a bag at the FLL airport was 30 minutes after a $24.74 Uber XL from Pier 25 to Terminal 2. The longest part of the journey to the airport was traffic on the departure level for drop off. 

Once we entered the line for Delta Sky Priority check in we waited another 30 minutes to check bags. While we set in line we noticed the line growing exponentially, in all of our travels we have found FLL to be one of the more disorganized airports especially to handle the peak morning departure and check in demand no matter the airline.

By the time we had checked our bags we estimated the line to be at 1 hour for bag check. The skycabs curbside were also starting to back up and this was just a few minutes before 9:00. 

We thought a back up in security was inevitable, however we found the TSA pre check line running smoothly. The regular security line length though looked like it could be problematic as people were getting  obviously visually agitated standing in line. 

After making our way through security we decided it was time for one more beverage to find a descent place to sit. Regretfully as we ordered one last vacation cocktail they told me they do not accept the premium beverage package and we began to sink back into reality. 

Knowing the lines we saw at check-in and building at security we found bar seats with a view of a departure gate. We may have missed pier runners in this B2B but maybe we will see airport runners instead. We were disappointed to not see airport runners like the OJ Simpson commercial but we did have a few fast movers who just made their flight.

This terminal in FLL is one of my least favorite due to the lack of seating especially when you have just left the Beyond with resort style seating options are plentiful. The other issue is the only club in this terminal is the Delta lounge, we have always found it over crowded. After enjoying a few cocktails each it was time to close our tab which l was reminded when looking at the bill that this is the only airport I can remember where the bars charge a standard service charge of 18%.

As we began to mosey to our gate for boarding that began at 11:05 we were shocked back into reality as we saw and heard more small children on our walk to the gate than we have seen in over two weeks. It is about time for my midday pool side nap so I am hoping no crying small children are near me when we take our seats for the 2 hour and 45 minute journey.

Though we were already missing the great staff and ship of the Beyond we were happy to be in our seats and headed towards home. Well we thought we were until our great friends picking us up reminded us that it is snowing back in Detroit.

As we went airborne today out of FLL we got one last look at the Beyond and waved goodbye.

Thank you for following and reading my Live from the Beyond B2B in the next day or so I will put up a synopsis review, and also try to find a way to add the Daily Planners for both legs of our B2B. 

0C1314C5-4282-4996-B0D2-CE0B36A5439F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Welcome back to the GREAT Lakes State.   I am sitting in the house watching the NFL playoffs, replying to this and thinking about maybe going outside to shovel the 2 inches of wet snow that we have.  It is 34 F.    

The rest of the week will be around  34 F so I am hoping it will melt.  We live south of the big D in the HS Hockey Town,  Trenton.   

Thanks for sharing your experience, observations and etc.   We will be driving to Ft Lauderdale in a 2 months to also do a B2B on the Beyond.  It isn’t worth driving there for anything less than a 14 day cruise.  We drive because my wife refuses to fly.   We use the driving time  as an extended vacation.   Do some sightseeing  and tours along the way.   Always do something on the Bourbon Trail on the way home and stock up with lower cost liquor from FL and KY.     We mostly buy bourbons and they are cheaper than the duty free shop on board or the islands and we don’t have to carry off the ship.   We buy it at Costco or Total Wine.  Sometimes Total Wine is cheaper.  I found that the liquor store at Costco is actually independent and you don’t need a membership.    In Michigan it is controlled by the Liquor commission and anyone can go in and buy without a membership but the prices aren’t any better than any other liquor store selling at the state minimum. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

The airport was very busy and chaotic.  The TSA line wrapped outside and people did not know what the line was for.  I am pre-check and my sister is not...she started in line outside and the pre-check line was wrapped around inside the airport.  I overheard two TSA agents that seem shocked all the passengers were from cruises...  I got through security and 7 minutes later my sister got through.

I will continue to pay for pre-check, but in my experience over the last four years the "quickness" going through is almost a non factor, no shoe and belt removal and saving a few minutes is the only benefit in my travels...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

The airport was very busy and chaotic.  The TSA line wrapped outside and people did not know what the line was for.  I am pre-check and my sister is not...she started in line outside and the pre-check line was wrapped around inside the airport.  I overheard two TSA agents that seem shocked all the passengers were from cruises...  I got through security and 7 minutes later my sister got through.

I will continue to pay for pre-check, but in my experience over the last four years the "quickness" going through is almost a non factor, no shoe and belt removal and saving a few minutes is the only benefit in my travels...

When it is time to renew, if you have a CC with most airlines, that CC will pay for precheck. Last year we did Global Entry which included TSA Pre-Chek for $100pp and my United CC reimbursed us for the cost. The Global entry we used in Atlanta last year returning from Venice and it took less than 5 minutes to get through customs in Atlanta. TSA Precheck by itself is $85 so for $15 more you get Global Entry added.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

When it is time to renew, if you have a CC with most airlines, that CC will pay for precheck. Last year we did Global Entry which included TSA Pre-Chek for $100pp and my United CC reimbursed us for the cost. The Global entry we used in Atlanta last year returning from Venice and it took less than 5 minutes to get through customs in Atlanta. TSA Precheck by itself is $85 so for $15 more you get Global Entry added.

That's the reason I will continue with it.

We were on week 2 with you folks. Thanks for getting us warmed up with your posts from week 1.This was our first cruise on an Edge class ship and we were just blown away by how beautiful the ship is. We generally only eat in the main dining rooms and thought all of the food was very good - excellent. Fantastic crew. All of the entertainment was wonderful. We had the chance to do a behind the scenes tour of the theater with several of the young cast members. If you ever have this opportunity sign up for it early. While we have enjoyed every cruise on Celebrity this one was definitely the best ever.

• Like 1

After completing a B2B I thought it would be a good idea to summarize our thoughts. We are still working on a way to scan the daily planners from both weeks.

Our B2B on Beyond was a great experience starting with the Eastern route and finishing with the Western. As first time Celebrity Cruisers we could not compare to previous Celebrity expectations but could compare to Royal, Disney, and Carnival. 

We found the itenarary on both weeks uninspiring but may look into their longer itineraries on the Beyond next year.

Below are our thoughts on the following areas:

Embark/Debark

Ship

Stateroom 3155

Staff

Drink Package

Included Dinning

Premium Dinning

Entertainment

Overall

Embark/Debark

This is an area that Celebrity Beyond excelled. Our original embark was the most organized and quickest we have ever experienced. At all of our ports of call the Destination Gateway helped making getting on and off the Ship so easy and efficient.

At the conclusion of our B2B the debark was just as easy as the beginning of our cruise.

Ship

The Beyond is an amazing vessel that we would be happy to sail on again. 

Pros 

The resort type theme of the open decks and the use of space to create hidden areas. 

The ship layout was easy to navigate and flowed naturally. It has a very contemporary and modern vibe. 

Cleanliness was amazing and in the public restrooms there was almost always an attendant cleaning.

Cons 

Lack of connection to the ocean in many of the areas on the Grand Plaza. 

No access or lack of to the bow or a bow view. We like to look out forward when entering a port that was not possible accept in the retreat or spa that we found.

Not enough clocks in public space and a lack of place for trash and passengers to place used items such as cups on the pool deck.

Stateroom 3155

We were in 3155 which was a port side Oceanview on deck 3. We thought the room was well appointed. Closet space and storage were good enough for 14 days on board for our B2B. We were impressed by the small touches in the room design and layout overall. We would book in this class again if needed but not this room due to some noise issues. This room

was selected as it was available on both legs of our B2B.

Pros

The decor and color of the room along with some nifty design touches. 

Collapsing desk to provide more counter or floor space depending on the cruisers preference. 

Light controls including an under vanity light in the bathroom so you don’t wake up the entire cabin for a late night bathroom entry. 

Bathroom layout though not intuitive ended up providing one of the largest showers at sea we have experienced for a non suite category. 

The room also had ample plugs throughout though not on both sides of the bed.

Cons

First and foremost noise from above and below. 

The noise above was obviously the kitchen from Le Voyages kitchen this did not bother us that often based on our time in the room. 

The noise from below must have been a crew service area off of I95 this always started around 5:00am. 

The only other stateroom issue was the design of the curtains as they were mounted inside the frame and not the outside allowing a significant light billed around the curtains exteriors.

Staff

Overall the staff in every facet of our interactions were generally happy and would greet individuals with a smile. They were engaged and if you had multiple interactions with them they would remember your preferences.

Pros

Meaningful interactions and conversation with all staff members from Captain Kate, Officer Staff, Restaurant Staff, Bar Staff, and Housekeeping and everyone above below and in between. The ship had a true vibe of community because of this.

Cons

Lack of wandering bar staff on our first week especially at the pool that seemed to be corrected by our second week.

Drink Package

For both of our legs of the B2B we had the premium beverage package and throughly we received fair value from it. A special note is the aluminum water cans can be difficult to almost impossible to open. A few individuals we hung out with had minor cut fingers on the cans from opening.

Pros

No guessing on what are bill would be at the end of both cruises.

Nice to have the entire menu available with a smaller up charge on just a few drinks.

20% off bottles of wine for special occasions.

Cons

Might have drank more than we would have otherwise.

Included Dinning

Overall we felt the included dinning was on par with Royal Caribbean we were not experienced Celebrity Cruisers so we could not compare to previous cruises on Celebrity. Dinning Room staff in the four main dining rooms was good all nights.

Pros

The dinning in the main dining rooms was always prompt and in 2 weeks we never had a wait of more than 5 to 10 minutes for a table of 2 or all the way up to 8 at various dinner times. In all of the dinning rooms we received good service but the service in Cyprus stood out as superior in several sections.

The dinning in the buffet was always efficient and clean. You were able to find something for everyone’s taste each day. 

The unique lunch experience in Eden was very good and a nice alternative as an in between the buffet and the dinning room at lunch. 

At breakfast the execution on egg dishes was great on almost everyday.

Lobster on Chic night 2 was great we appreciated the Maine lobster over the Caribbean and had no issue with the only lobster each before an up charge. The preparation was executed with precision and you were able to couple it with another entree if you wanted. 

Cons

After a B2B the menu became a little repetitive both in the Main Dinning Rooms and Buffet.

In the main Dinning Rooms due to the set items that are served in each individual restaurant and also at all restaurants every night not as many dishes rotated as we were used to in previous included dinning experiences.

On the buffet we could always find a variety of food but it was disappointing that we and fellow cruise friends noticed a marked improvement of food at lunch on the last full day of each cruise. It almost felt like buying survey comments.

Eden breakfast was just not executed well but we only tried it once other dishes may have been better.

Premium Dinning

We have only done one other premium cruise dinning experience on the multitude of our previous cruises. With this cruise being a B2B we did premium dinning experiences on week 2 to break up the 

repeating menus.

Pros

All of the venues had a decor and touch that emphasized you were eating somewhere different and special. 

The staff, food and service at Le Voyage along with the venue itself was special at every turn. If the menu interest you even a little and you are only going to do one specialty dinning this location deserves special considerations.

The freshness of the dishes at Raw on 5 we did this night 1 on a cruise not sure if it contributed to the freshness.

The wait staff service and knowledge of the menu in Eden was great.

Le Petit Chef has a wonderful sommelier and an amazing tomato tart that may have been the best thing we ate all week. 

Cons

The Fine Cut did not move the needle compared to other dining venues on board.

Le Petit Chef is conducted in Le Grand Bistro and is off of the Grand Paza without an appropriate sound barrier that really distracted from the experience.

The Sommelier in Eden provided our only negative staff experience in 2 weeks on board. If you feel like you’re buying a used car from a Sommelier ask for someone else.  

Entertainment 

We found a wide variety of entertainment across the ship from guest performers, two production casts, live music, resident artist, DJs and engaged activity staff. We did not participate in trivia, or karaoke but others commented on what fun they had. Originally we felt that Disney far exceeded our Celebrity experience and Royal was just a step above. However with two weeks on board they were all a lot closer the more we experienced and with a few improved story lines Celebrity could be ahead of Royal and nipping at the heels of Disney in our opinion.

Pros

The individual talent of all staff performers. We felt the general quality of all entertainers was above what we have seen on other lines. 

The Eden cast and small theater story line brought a show concept to sea which we have never experienced. All four of their performances were exciting.

The main theater itself incorporated great technology that added to the shows and helped showcase the talent of the artists.

Silent Disco had so much energy each night all walks of life seemed to enjoy the experience.

Pool side activities were fun and engaging and helped improve the pool side atmosphere.

Cons 

Pool music in the morning normally until 11:00 or 11:30 was reminiscent of things you would listen to at an elevator in a funeral home.

The Eden shows were only at 11:00pm additional showings would space out the crowds fighting for seats to watch these great performances in a small venue.

Guest Entertainers were just okay when compared to other guest entertainers we have seen.

Overall

We really enjoyed our time

On the Celebrity Beyond. The staff and ship were great. The demographic was a little older than we have cruises with in the past but when cruising without our teenager this was a welcome change. We would book another Beyond cruise but instead of a back to back would look at a longer itinerary when possible to avoid repeating food and entertainment.

• Like 4