Non alcoholic wine on Royal - disappointing

I no longer drink alcohol for health reasons.  In Australia now there are many many choices for non-alcoholic wine, including from established wine makers, and some of it is very nice and not sweet at all.  It is often the same price as alcoholic wine, reflecting the work that winemakers have to put in and is becoming more and more popular (check out ‘sans drinks’ for examples)  I was on quantum a couple of months ago and I was disappointed with the ‘wine’ available and it was usually only available in very limited venues - the suite lounge found me some (although it was too sweet 🤣) and coastal kitchen couldn’t find any nor could any of the bars.  My d+  vouchers were used on coffees and lemon lime and bitters 🥲.  Given that Royal could easily make money selling nonalcoholic wine and given its increasing popularity, I would love them to include at least a few options in all the venues. I am sailing on ovation next month.  Sigh ….

• Like 2

I had never even thought of non-alcoholic wines.  Had a drink package on Viking and drank non-alcoholic beers.  (The package was included and I couldn't get a discount for giving it up so I used it for mocktails too.).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I had never even thought of non-alcoholic wines.  Had a drink package on Viking and drank non-alcoholic beers.  (The package was included and I couldn't get a discount for giving it up so I used it for mocktails too.).

Unfortunately I have celiac disease so no beer for me unless gluten free.  Hopefully cruise lines will start stocking good na wines 

• Like 1

@lucymorgan I would imagine someone in Food&Beverage at Royal has considered this and felt that there is not enough demand for them to make a profit. If this truly matters to you, you should include on your post cruise survey and/or email corporate. If enough people want it and Royal can make a profit they'll do it.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lucymorgan said:

Unfortunately I have celiac disease so no beer for me unless gluten free.  Hopefully cruise lines will start stocking good na wines 

There are a few gluten free beers that are not that bad. 

I wonder if you made a list the dining people might stock a few bottles.

There is a big demand these days for gluten free options and an opportunity for at least one or two brands selling very well onboard/

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

You certainly should submit your desire for NA wine on the survey.  If enough others express interest, it might begin to appear on wine lists.  Meanwhile, carry on a couple bottles of your favorite wine if you want to enjoy it on board.  We do.  Though we have enough vouchers to cover all our drinks, we bring bottles of our favorite wines on board as it is not on Royal’s wine list. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It wouldn't help you on a cruise ship, but a lot of microbreweries put Brewer's Clarex in the beer which removes most of the gluten, and many Celiac sufferers can tolerate it.

My daughter has celiac, I don’t think removing most of the gluten would help much, she can’t even eat a salad if it had croutons on it and then removed.

• Like 3

Just bring your NA wine on board as your 1 bottle per adult per cabin. 

Cruise ships have limited space for carrying things and need to use that wisely, i.e., most cost/demand effective.

I believe some schooner bars and pubs carry the Spanish gluten reduced beer Daura Damm (under 6ppm) as well as O'Douls and Heineken 0.0. NAs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

I no longer drink alcohol for health reasons.  In Australia now there are many many choices for non-alcoholic wine, including from established wine makers, and some of it is very nice and not sweet at all.  It is often the same price as alcoholic wine, reflecting the work that winemakers have to put in and is becoming more and more popular (check out ‘sans drinks’ for examples)  I was on quantum a couple of months ago and I was disappointed with the ‘wine’ available and it was usually only available in very limited venues - the suite lounge found me some (although it was too sweet 🤣) and coastal kitchen couldn’t find any nor could any of the bars.  My d+  vouchers were used on coffees and lemon lime and bitters 🥲.  Given that Royal could easily make money selling nonalcoholic wine and given its increasing popularity, I would love them to include at least a few options in all the venues. I am sailing on ovation next month.  Sigh ….

Are you in a suite again on the Ovation?

If you are, let your genie know...or the concierge...before you get on the Ovation...you may just get your wish.  Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

Celebrity stocks Fre which I understand is a Berringer brand of alcohol/low alcohol wine.  Not sure what Royal stocks as don't recall seeing a thread about non-alcoholic wines on this board.  Then again my memory is not what it use to be. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter has celiac, I don’t think removing most of the gluten would help much, she can’t even eat a salad if it had croutons on it and then removed.

There are several TOTALLY GLUTEN FREE beers. Beer can be made with many sources of starch that is converted to sugar without containing any gluten.

CAUTION: GLUTEN REDUCED does NOT mean GLUTEN FREE.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Just bring your NA wine on board as your 1 bottle per adult per cabin. 

Cruise ships have limited space for carrying things and need to use that wisely, i.e., most cost/demand effective.

I believe some schooner bars and pubs carry the Spanish gluten reduced beer Daura Damm (under 6ppm) as well as O'Douls and Heineken 0.0. NAs.

TWO bottles of wine per STATEROOM.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

There are several TOTALLY GLUTEN FREE beers. Beer can be made with many sources of starch that is converted to sugar without containing any gluten.

CAUTION: GLUTEN REDUCED does NOT mean GLUTEN FREE.

I know there are 100% gf beers, I was responding to a poster who suggested a gluten reduced beer for the OP, who has celiac.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  I do take on two bottles of na wine - have to compete with DH on that.  Interestingly I have also found a few different varieties of na wine in cans (see pics) so on the last cruise I also took some cans - security didn't mind as they are clearly marked non-alcoholic.  I haven't tried beer for ages but I might give GF beer go.  I have mentioned the lack in the survey but I may also try to email.  I think cruise lines are missing an emerging sales opportunity here!  🙂🥂

image.png.12632d673b1679a37fd0d4518369cc07.pngimage.png.144fa0a9d33ba08398365bc9f3a68768.png

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It'll be a YMMV thing. But I know a couple celiacs who tolerated the gluten reduced beers just fine. Obviously that may not mean your daughter would.

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It'll be a YMMV thing. But I know a couple celiacs who tolerated the gluten reduced beers just fine. Obviously that may not mean your daughter would.

It really doesn’t matter if they tolerate it, any gluten is a risk for internal damage. My daughter went to the GI and asked if maybe it went away because there were times she was glutened and didn’t get sick, she was told that it does not go away and any gluten is a risk for damage. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

It really doesn’t matter if they tolerate it, any gluten is a risk for internal damage. My daughter went to the GI and asked if maybe it went away because there were times she was glutened and didn’t get sick, she was told that it does not go away and any gluten is a risk for damage. 

Yes - sadly this is true.  I am largely asymptomatic but the damage is there regardless (confirmed through regular scopes).  There is a difference between celiac disease and gluten intolerance - one actually can cause cancer and other serious issues and one causes symptoms but no lasting damage.  The general public often doesn't realise that they are two different conditions. 

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 2

Fellow sober cruiser here!! I bring 2 bottles of NA wine with me for my cabin but for this next sailing I was able to also pre-order 2 bottles (I could have ordered more but didn't see the need for a 5 night sailing) of sparking NA wine for my cabin. I always purchase the refreshment drink package and love RC's mocktail options, as well as their coffee's. They had both NA sparking and NA red/white available for cabin pre-order, I do hope this is a sign them and some other NA options are coming aboard soon! I LOVE Lyre's and also Ritual has a lovely line of NA spirits, an Ritual whisky sour is my go to summer bevvie at home. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Celebrity stocks Fre which I understand is a Berringer brand of alcohol/low alcohol wine.  Not sure what Royal stocks as don't recall seeing a thread about non-alcoholic wines on this board.  Then again my memory is not what it use to be. 

Ever try it?  It's terrible.

• Like 1