What's going on with Royal Caribbean?

ksuyen

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Figures.  On the website for Odyssey or Wonder they don't even show a menu for Giovanni's.  Let's hear it for Landside operations again.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/odyssey-of-the-seas/things-to-do/giovannis-italian-kitchen-wine-bar

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/wonder-of-the-seas/things-to-do/giovannis-italian-kitchen-wine-bar

I guess Giovanni's is the Italian Restaurant of Royal's choice now.  Which is a good thing, for me.  I like it better than Jamie's.  

Easy to see on the app. Just pick a ship

Jamie's sux

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Easy to see on the app. Just pick a ship

Jamie's sux

I don't use the app when not on the ship.  I download it at embarkation morning and delete it before I get out of the garage at port.  I keep apps to a minimum.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't use the app when not on the ship.  I download it at embarkation morning and delete it before I get out of the garage at port.  I keep apps to a minimum.  

Sounds like a Royal PIA

I may have 7 pages of apps🤣🤣

On 1/10/2023 at 6:06 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

We have had several wonderful cruises in 2022.   Last one on Anthem in December, no food issues, no complaints, crew did a great job!   

Our last RCI cruise was in November.  Same experience.   We did not encounter any of the issues mentioned by the OP.   

I have found a significant change in food options since cruising in mid-December on the Liberty, and a month later on the Enchantment.  My experience is below, and a caveat:  I am NOT a complainer.  Lemons=lemonade to me in my life.

The first night on the Enchantment I found they had completely eliminated the fruit and cheese platter from the menu, and completely eliminated the vegan menu, too.  The vegan menu is supposedly substituted by vegan offerings in the selections each evening.  I used the vegan choices as appetizers, and side dishes to my main entrée.  So, many of the offerings are completely gone by now Day 9 of this cruise.

I asked to pre-order the fruit and cheese plate for my dinners, and could not.  The head waiter showed up to discuss it with me, and I explained that it was something I order every night, and use it as either an appetizer or in between courses.  It's an important part of my dinner, since it's high protein, and I don't each potatoes or rice with dinner.  The solution was to have it delivered to my cabin each afternoon, and I CARRY it into the dining room myself.

On that first night my fish entrée with rice, if de-constructed, would have been 3 pieces of sushi.  NOT an exaggeration.

I was asked how my entrée was, and I answered honestly:  extremely small portion.  Well, that started the whole assistant waiter-to-waiter-to head waiter discussion yet again.

I think many other passengers also pointed out the miserly portions, because by Day 3 the protein portion was back to normal.

After dinner on Day 1 I went to the CL and had THREE appetizer plates, because I was still that hungry.  Literally 1/2 to 2/3 of my expected dinner was not available.

Windjammer:  very meh.  I have always found something tasty to eat in the Windjammer, but now it's a struggle.  It's dominated by stew-like dishes that end up quite mushy after an hour of being on the warmers.

The fish is still good, but many of the sauces to go with the chicken, beef, and fish are no longer available on the side of the main dish.  

Cold cuts are DEFINITELY a lower quality.  For instance, I went to get some sliced cheese and meat, and the "artistic" display they put out as a decorative touch, was the pressed ham block, cut in half, with garnishes. It was like they were advertising, "Yes, this IS chopped and pressed ham".  I won't go hungry in the Windjammer, but it's not a very enjoyable eating experience.  And, I'm saying this as an "I will eat pretty much anything" type of person.

So, I'm on 4 other ships between now and mid-March.  That way I can see if it's just this ship, or all ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, pcur said:

I have found a significant change in food options since cruising in mid-December on the Liberty, and a month later on the Enchantment.  My experience is below, and a caveat:  I am NOT a complainer.  Lemons=lemonade to me in my life.

The first night on the Enchantment I found they had completely eliminated the fruit and cheese platter from the menu, and completely eliminated the vegan menu, too.  The vegan menu is supposedly substituted by vegan offerings in the selections each evening.  I used the vegan choices as appetizers, and side dishes to my main entrée.  So, many of the offerings are completely gone by now Day 9 of this cruise.

I asked to pre-order the fruit and cheese plate for my dinners, and could not.  The head waiter showed up to discuss it with me, and I explained that it was something I order every night, and use it as either an appetizer or in between courses.  It's an important part of my dinner, since it's high protein, and I don't each potatoes or rice with dinner.  The solution was to have it delivered to my cabin each afternoon, and I CARRY it into the dining room myself.

On that first night my fish entrée with rice, if de-constructed, would have been 3 pieces of sushi.  NOT an exaggeration.

I was asked how my entrée was, and I answered honestly:  extremely small portion.  Well, that started the whole assistant waiter-to-waiter-to head waiter discussion yet again.

I think many other passengers also pointed out the miserly portions, because by Day 3 the protein portion was back to normal.

After dinner on Day 1 I went to the CL and had THREE appetizer plates, because I was still that hungry.  Literally 1/2 to 2/3 of my expected dinner was not available.

Windjammer:  very meh.  I have always found something tasty to eat in the Windjammer, but now it's a struggle.  It's dominated by stew-like dishes that end up quite mushy after an hour of being on the warmers.

The fish is still good, but many of the sauces to go with the chicken, beef, and fish are no longer available on the side of the main dish.  

Cold cuts are DEFINITELY a lower quality.  For instance, I went to get some sliced cheese and meat, and the "artistic" display they put out as a decorative touch, was the pressed ham block, cut in half, with garnishes. It was like they were advertising, "Yes, this IS chopped and pressed ham".  I won't go hungry in the Windjammer, but it's not a very enjoyable eating experience.  And, I'm saying this as an "I will eat pretty much anything" type of person.

So, I'm on 4 other ships between now and mid-March.  That way I can see if it's just this ship, or all ships.

You do not sound like a "complainer" with these types of reviews. I could agree to disagree with you because you provide a rationale for your opinions and are specific to why you find something deficient and what you think a reasonable solution could be.

I look forward to your reviews because my next cruise is in April. I would like to know if this was a one-off, learning curve, or a harbinger of things to expect.

I live with two great Chefs in my house and I can hold my own with pride on the BBQ and smoker so we never go "for the food".  We have found SOMETHING on the menu that we normally do not eat and experiment in both the MDR and Windjammer. As of our last cruise in September 2022, I have had some very good dishes and some dishes that needed much more care and attention then they were given. I hope they do not cut-back too much.

I keep hoping this is a source of supply issue combined with new kitchen staff coming up-to-speed with the higher ship occupancy rates.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, Ret MP said:

LOL

I think there are two separate people here.

CruisinNole and CruisingNole.  Note the "g"

Both are from Florida, could be a coincidence or could be the same person.

There have been some “caught” with two accounts, using both to support each other in discussions here. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

There have been some “caught” with two accounts, using both to support each other in discussions here. 

Probably a million Noles in FL😉

The similarity in names could be an adjustment because one was already taken.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Or, father/son, mother/daughter, father/daughter, or or or or or. LOL

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Probably a million Noles in FL😉

The similarity in names could be an adjustment because one was already taken.

Could very well be. I doubt someone would make two accounts for the purpose I noted so similar. 

• Like 1

Recently off Jewel.  I thought the food in all 3 specialty restaurants was very good including the breakfast each morning in Chops.  The one time we ate in the Main Dining Room (MDR) the portions were small and didn't taste all that great.  We ate in Windjammer for lunch several days and one dinner.  In my opinion this was better than the MDR, although still not up to the standards they were pre Covid.  Again, just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Figures.  On the website for Odyssey or Wonder they don't even show a menu for Giovanni's.  Let's hear it for Landside operations again.

You mean this one, on the planner🙄

Or here on the RCCL website: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-dining/giovannis-italian-kitchenGiovanni's menu.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Is that considered room service.

3 hours ago, pcur said:

That's ridiculous, if they can deliver it to the room, just have them deliver it to table *** in the MDR!

Even I will have to complain if they refuse to honor personal requests.  I have never been turned down and I do it at least once on every cruise.  I do remember they could not bring me my favorite sugar free Coconut cake once.  I asked for it every day until the waiter just said, "The chef said he just cannot have it for you."  But all else has never been denied.  Guess more corporate letters will go out!

NelBlu have you tried making a request with Special Needs for Vegan on your cruises.

Edited by BecciBoo

Just now, BecciBoo said:

You mean this one, on the planner🙄

Giovanni's menu.jpg

No, I mean the ones that aren't in the location where one should find the menu, like the links I posted.  If I don't have a cruise booked, but I'd like to see the menu and other things about a specific ship/cruise, can I see the planner?  NO!  Hell, the cruise I do have booked in Jan 2024 doesn't even show the restaurants, in the planner, on the Harmony.  

My whole underlying point throughout all my posts/sarcasm/complaining is about RCCL's Landside operations and IT.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

image.thumb.png.09bcd700cc69fd49c4f79c8df997701f.png

• Haha 1