What is your embarkation day outfit?

bluetardis

On 1/11/2023 at 4:35 AM, Guindalf said:

I have a tradition of wearing a Steelers shirt for embarkation. I then have new friends for the rest of the cruise!

Remember, there are Steelers fans and there are those who are wrong 😉

Will a Penguins shirt do?

• 1 month later...

I am sailing out of Southampton at the end of August. I have no clue what I am wearing on sail day. I will keep looking at the weather and figure out that outfit..........have no idea what the weather will be like a month from now. I know its summer but ya'll know how temps can vary😮

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi girls, I just boarded a ship in Southampton (yesterday) for a cruise around the  British Isles. I wore a long sleeved leapord print top with gold tones and the darker brown in it and a pair of green (sort of faded) but they worked perfectly with this top, jeans. And my standard warm up jacket that I travel with and I felt very comfy.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2023 at 8:23 PM, roxstarcruiser said:

I'm allergic to photos (hah!), but my plan was to just wear one of my caftans to embark. But seeing these answers has me second guessing myself. Should I just stick to jeans and a t-shirt?

I am absolutely allergic to photos, too!

But jeans and t-shirt have never entered my mind or my packing list for a cruise.  And I don't have a caftan.  My boarding outfit, now that I sail out of Baltimore after a morning on a bus, consists of black stretch slacks, a nice jersey appropriate to the day's weather, and a jacket appropriate to the weather. Travel sneakers will be swapped out for flats for drinks, dinner, and the evening's activities.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I am absolutely allergic to photos, too!

But jeans and t-shirt have never entered my mind or my packing list for a cruise.  And I don't have a caftan.  My boarding outfit, now that I sail out of Baltimore after a morning on a bus, consists of black stretch slacks, a nice jersey appropriate to the day's weather, and a jacket appropriate to the weather. Travel sneakers will be swapped out for flats for drinks, dinner, and the evening's activities.

Pretty much what I wear also 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:23 PM, roxstarcruiser said:

I'm allergic to photos (hah!), but my plan was to just wear one of my caftans to embark. But seeing these answers has me second guessing myself. Should I just stick to jeans and a t-shirt?

I should have continued my comment above to say "wear the caftan!".  Jeans and t-shirt are fine for the grocery store; a cruise is special.  Comfort is good, and the cruise is a chance to break out of the home routine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I should have continued my comment above to say "wear the caftan!".  Jeans and t-shirt are fine for the grocery store; a cruise is special.  Comfort is good, and the cruise is a chance to break out of the home routine.

It is always interesting to hear other’s perspectives, especially those that differ from mine.  I personally don’t think anything is wrong with jeans and t-shirt or whatever anyone wants to wear when they board a ship and am surprised to see that someone thinks jeans are inappropriate for a cruise ship.  To me, it is a vacation on a big boat instead of at a resort or a land trip.  No difference in my mind and actually many of our cruises are part of a longer trip that includes land trips and resorts.  I wear the same clothes throughout the trip and wear those same clothes at home. However, I usually don’t wear jeans while traveling because they are bulky to pack. For me, that is what determines what gets packed - how well it packs and if it wrinkles.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 10:06 PM, bluetardis said:

@roxstarcruiser what ever  is most comfortable to you! You’re on vacation and need to feel comfy and if a caftan is your lounging outfit,….go for it!

I don't disagree with "comfortable", but I don't bring anything on a cruise that isn't comfortable.  Being a very practical person, I'd add to that thought: 

- Shoes for easy walking.  Think about crossing the parking lot (with your luggage), walking up the gang plank, possibly up stairs /ramp /escalator.  Tennis shoes or walking sandals are probably best for most people. 

- Something with pockets.  I always tuck two things into my pockets before I head to the port:  a tip for the porters who take my bag and nail clippers.  This means I don't have to go into my wallet for an expected expense, and I have a way to remove the zip ties from my luggage when it arrives in my room.  If you don't have pockets on your boarding outfit, definitely consider where you're carrying your valuables; losing them can literally ruin your cruise.  

- Something you don't intend to wear again.  Somehow I always end up sweaty on Day 1.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I had to look up "caftan".  No, I don't own any of those.  

I agree that a cruise is special, but I don't really care about dressing up during the day.  Shorts and tee-shirt are fine.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I had to look up "caftan".  No, I don't own any of those.  

I agree that a cruise is special, but I don't really care about dressing up during the day.  Shorts and tee-shirt are fine.  

My late April cruise - I boarded wearing jeans, a white & red striped Tshirt, my jeans jacket.  Can't remember if I had on my trail runners or my hiking boots.  No one gasped in horror 😉  Some lump all Tshirts into one category of "ok for the grocery store."  Women have nice classy tailored-to-a-womans-body Tshirts all over the place, even at work.   

At least I kept my Smokey Bear Tshirt to wear on the flight home 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Workout shorts & a T shirt and we're ready for the DR to eat lunch. 😄

Not too many MDRs are open for lunch on embarkation day. Celebrity if you’re in concuerge is one of the few 

• 2 weeks later...