Daylight Savings Time

It’s been a couple years since I’ve sailed during a time change. Anyone remember how this is handled? We leave on March 11th and time changes that weekend.

For some reason I’m thinking the ships don’t adjust times in the middle of a cruise and wait till the next sailing. 

Great question, and one of those that regardless of answers here...you just gotta pay attention on the actual cruise.

Depends on your cruiseline, specific ship, and itinerary.  Many try to stay on home port time now, but not all.  And some ports like Bahamas don't observe DST.

And for all reading, take once again the old advice about smartphones auto-syncing to your location...that may not be "ship time".  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

For some reason I’m thinking the ships don’t adjust times in the middle of a cruise and wait till the next sailing.

If it is a closed loop cruise, how could they possibly not change with a DST change? On debarkation morning, there would be chaos as everyone realizes they are an hour off.

It used to be more common when visiting ports in other time zones that a ship would stay on "ship's time" rather than local time. But it has been years since I've seen that on a cruise.

6 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

If it is a closed loop cruise, how could they possibly not change with a DST change? On debarkation morning, there would be chaos as everyone realizes they are an hour off.

It used to be more common when visiting ports in other time zones that a ship would stay on "ship's time" rather than local time. But it has been years since I've seen that on a cruise.

I’ve never been on a Royal sailing that didn’t stay on ship time. That’s why they recommend not to let your smart devices update in port since the sailings don’t update to different time zones.

My experience on a ship when savings time begins in its home port is that sometime during the week the ship will adjust time. It does not necessarily happen on the same day that it occurs in the real world. I don't know how they make the decision on when to make the change but they will let you know when. 

1 minute ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I’ve never been on a Royal sailing that didn’t stay on ship time. That’s why they recommend not to let your smart devices update in port since the sailings don’t update to different time zones.

I was on a sailing that did 3 time changes during the week. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I’ve never been on a Royal sailing that didn’t stay on ship time.

I wasn't clear. Of course, passengers must always stay on "ship's time". And that was emphasized when the ship would not observe time zone changes for ports of call. But the standard practice for years has been for ship's time to be adjusted to local time when there is a port of call.

For DST changes, you have no choice but to adjust during the cruise if the cruise ends at a home port that observes DST.

For a transatlantic, as another example, you'd have no choice.

For time zone changes that change in one direction and then back during the same cruise, what I'm saying is there used to be a more common practice to keep the ship time unchanged even when the local port was in a different time zone. That's what I haven't seen in years. I haven't found a Cruise Compass for recent years that emphasizes to "stay on ship's time not local time". Instead this is the more typical practice. [All that said, it is still at captain's discretion and any given cruise may do something different. Just follow the instructions in the Cruise Compass and you'll do fine.]

image.thumb.png.ec32f98f792f15d18f947680dcc3ec5c.png

Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

And I've never been on one that didn't (other than one trip where everything was in Eastern Time regardless). It's up to the captain, but it seems like most ships do change these days.

the one thing to be careful of is if you have devices, they will change time on the appropriate day automatically of the daylight saving starting day. If you have a non syncing digital watch or analog watch, would advise those so you are on the right time and can control your time forward or backs which the ship will inform you of. 

i was on a spring forward cruise, which was the last day. a lot of people's devices jumped forward and were waiting for breakfast an hour early. 

8 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

On two of my cruises in 2022, we sailed into different time zones and there was a note in the room to remind people to please adjust your watches/clocks accordingly.  And then a similar note when we sailed back into the original time zone.  This was on Odyssey from Rome to Greece/Turkey and on Navigator to Cabo.  

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Clueless how many time changes, and date change, we'll have on world cruise 😉

Overall route is west, but we backtrack a lot. And spring forward as well.

Screenshot_20230114-231518_Chrome.jpg.7ea69cfcf9d5908a8807b158c615a4ec.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yup I did 3 time changes on most my Boston to Florida Repos over "Fall Back" week. Then just 3 months ago did Panama Canal 13n and we had 5 time changes, this followed by 3 Caribbean Cruises for total 11 times changes in 27 Days. In last 35yrs about 75% of my Caribbean Cruise I've done Ship time Changed at least 2 times(forward/back)

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Clueless how many time changes, and date change, we'll have on world cruise 😉

Overall route is west, but we backtrack a lot. And spring forward as well.

Screenshot_20230114-231518_Chrome.jpg.7ea69cfcf9d5908a8807b158c615a4ec.jpg

Sure, rub it in... But hey cant complain, instead doing this Cruise I'm Building a new House with that money. Still, I'm Happy for you..

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yup I did 3 time changes on most my Boston to Florida Repos over "Fall Back" week. Then just 3 months ago did Panama Canal 13n and we had 5 time changes, this followed by 3 Caribbean Cruises for total 11 times changes in 27 Days. In last 35yrs about 75% of my Caribbean Cruise I've done Ship time Changed at least 2 times(forward/back)

TA's typically have 5. Ones to Rome have 6

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sure, rub it in... But hey cant complain, instead doing this Cruise I'm Building a new House with that money. Still, I'm Happy for you..

You are probably better off. I cannot fathom what my health would be like after eating ship food for nine months. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On our TA to Rome we had 6 time changes. They would leave a little card in the key card slot each night that there was a change, as well as announcing it and having in the cruise compass.

I do remember a cruise to Greece that time changed the night before we were departing and my watch had updated in Greece to their time and it was an hour different than ships time.  I didn’t know what time it was and I checked on the TV and that wasn’t right either.  I was so confused, I needed to get off early so I just did a wake up call so I wouldn’t be late.