Boarding Insurance Requirement

steveso

I'm cruising with P and O in June and the initial e mail says that you may need to show evidence of travel insurance with a schedule in your name.

I have annual travel insurance through an HSBC credit card and so all I would normally have is the annual policy booklet they send out which has no personalisation. Does anyone know if you must have a personalised insurance schedule to board? (If so I imagine I can request one but never needed this before).

Edited by steveso

Just now, steveso said:

I'm cruising with P and O in June and the initial e mail says that you may need to show evidence of travel insurance with a schedule in your name.

I have annual travel insurance through an HSBC credit card and so all I would normally have is the annual policy booklet they send out which has no personalisation. Does anyone know if you must have a personalised insurance schedule to board? (Id so I imagine I can request one but never needed this before).

Apparently the banks will provide you with a policy schedule if you ask.

I have just come off Iona.  I have insurance via my bank Lloyd's and they provided me with a personal insurance statement confirming that I was covered for cruises and Covid! Noone asked to see it at Southampton but it is a simple request to the bank and I wouldn't take the chance and not have it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devonuk said:

What they’re looking for is cruise specific cover but to be fair they’re not checking. 

Not cruise specific, just that your insurance covers cruises as do most insurances. You can often get extra cruise cover which covers missed ports etc but it is a choice to have it. I agree they rarely ask for proof. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Not cruise specific, just that your insurance covers cruises as do most insurances. You can often get extra cruise cover which covers missed ports etc but it is a choice to have it. I agree they rarely ask for proof. 

The extra cruise cover for being put into quarantine or isolation in the event of being I'll with norovirus, covid etc is the big benefit.  Most cruise extensions policies pay a daily rate which if you're locked away forv6 or 7 days can be very helpful.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They did start insisting on Covid specific insurance at one stage and even provided links to book it with

I assume that's all forgotten now although they still mention you need to be able to prove it somewhere in the booking conditions

We were one of the few checked at Gatwick in December.  They did look at the covid cover. I think it's a bit hit and miss depending on how many check in at the time you do.  We didn't meet many who'd been checked, perhaps I looked suspicious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Megabear2 said:

We were one of the few checked at Gatwick in December.  They did look at the covid cover. I think it's a bit hit and miss depending on how many check in at the time you do.  We didn't meet many who'd been checked, perhaps I looked suspicious!

So do you reckon we should pay for the specific covid insurance in case they randomly check us?

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So do you reckon we should pay for the specific covid insurance in case they randomly check us?

Personally with covid still around and norovirus etc I would buy the add on if it's available.  I doubt you'll be checked too closely at the airport and no one looked in Barbados.  If you're happy to know if you are quarantined or isolated you won't get anything by way of a payout then I would not worry.  However don't forget if you can't get into a port or even have a last minute change most of these policies pay anywhere between £100 and £2000 esch

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Your insurance should cover cruises - but check it does.  I think this is what P&O require in particular for medical cover. 

The 'add on' cover for which you will pay an extra premium (£40 for us both with our insurers) covers you for missed ports or cabin confinement at a daily rate.  But that is your choice whether or not to enhance your insurance.  We were confined for 6 days (me) and 5 days for my OH so had 11 days payback.  Missed a chunk of our cruise but the insurance was a good contribution to our next booking. 

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 2

Just now, kruzseeka said:

Your insurance should cover cruises - but check it does.  I think this is what P&O require. 

The 'add on' cover for which you will pay an extra premium (£40 for us both with our insurers) covers you for missed ports or cabin confinement at a daily rate. We were confined for 6 days (me) and 5 days for my OH so had 11 days payback.  Missed a chunk of our cruise but the insurance was a good contribution to our next booking. 

I'm more concerned about not being allowed on the cruise because I don't have the special insurance than any potential payouts

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm more concerned about not being allowed on the cruise because I don't have the special insurance than any potential payouts

Good insurance policies give you the medical covid cover that P&O want. You do not need to take out the extra missed ports, confined to cabin cover. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I understand - personal choice but what you must have is a travel insurance which has basic cruise cover. As previously mentioned, most policies do but that's what you need to satisfy yourself (and P&O) that your policy does! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steveso said:

I have annual travel insurance through an HSBC credit card and so all I would normally have is the annual policy booklet they send out which has no personalisation. Does anyone know if you must have a personalised insurance schedule to board? (If so I imagine I can request one but never needed this before).

We also have travel insurance with HSBC and have downloaded a letter from the HSBC website ( once we have logged in)The letter includes names and says the policy covers covid and cruises.Enjoy your cruise 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I thought you just had to put the name of the Insurance Company and the telephone number of their Emergency line.  You put that in your account on Cruise Personalizer.

That happen now. When they restarted they asked to see proof, but don't seem to bother now.

What seems to be missing here is that you should have specific cruise cover that

covers   evacuation/ airlift  rather than missing a port or catching covid or even having

to cancel.   

This can run to £££££THOUSANDS   and  P&O say

"When travelling with us, your insurance must include medical cover of £2 million minimum and cover for emergency evacuations"

Obviously everyone hopes it never happens  and the ships will always try and get to a port.

I havent seen any statistics on this  but  I wouldnt like to end up with the bill.

Shipboard  visits to the docs are expensive enough,  you wouldnt need to receive much

treatment to pay for a full cover policy.

• Like 3

Yes, my thoughts were that insurance has to cover air evacuation, which is what we have always checked (and got written confirmation of that cover from our insurance company), even pre covid.  Costs can be massive, so cruise companies want to make sure you can cover that cost.

The covid cover now required by cruise lines, as we understand it, is to ensure you will be covered for any medical costs and isolation ashore if you catch covid as well as being covered for cancellation if you cannot travel because you contract covid. 

P and O have now replied to my question about this

Their reply is below and hopefully this may help others with general policies

"Thank you for your email. I hope you are well today.

I apologise for any confusion regarding the name on your travel insurance, we are aware that some bank accounts may provide you coverage but don’t have a document containing your name.

As long as you have sufficient coverage and are able to claim from your travel insurance provider (although we hope you would not need to) that you would have no problem at check in.

We would recommend where possible providing proof that you do have coverage, however, we do understand that some insurance issues by banks will not contain your name"