Muster Drill

CJANDH

NCL have announced that they are discontinuing the E-Muster procedure and are returning to the old muster drill with everyone assembling at one time at their muster stations. This is effective immediately across all of their brands, including RSS. One of the few good things to come out of the pandemic protocols was the industry adoption of the e-muster. What a retrograde step for NCL (and Disney).

• Like 2

Ugh. I hate going to the muster drill. On our last cruise in September, we were shown our muster station on our way to our cabin, and then just reviewed it on the TV. We were also asked to do that online before boarding, and that was enough for us.

Too bad they couldn't rely on people watching the E-muster, and reliably keep a record of that. Another bad experience added back to cruising.

• Like 2

"A difference in opinions" is, as the American humorist Will Rogers opined--"what makes for a horse race and Missionaries."

Respectfully disagree with earlier Posts. 

I applaud NCL's decision.  Safety first.  

Please go to Page 3 of this Major Thread.  Topic:  "Safety Video".  My contribution was #4.  Therefore, will not repeat what was detailed in that posting other than: 

Hearing a klaxon blast in one's Suite at 0015H in the South Atlantic--followed by:  "THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"--does infuse into one's memory the importance of knowing what to do and where to go.  We relied on Cunard's very-detailed Muster Drill when performing muscle memory when preparing to evacuate our Suite and head for the Muster Station. 

Don't believe that because it has never happened--for real--that it cannot happen on a cruise segment.  It happened to us. 

Best, and stay safe. 

GOARMY!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, CJANDH said:

What a retrograde step for NCL (and Disney).

Rather than a retrograde step, I believe this is just embracing the reality that the e-muster only has a temporary approval from the IMO, based on covid, and will likely go away worldwide in the next couple of years at the most.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GOARMY said:

"A difference in opinions" is, as the American humorist Will Rogers opined--"what makes for a horse race and Missionaries."

Please go to Page 3 of this Major Thread.  Topic:  "Safety Video".  My contribution was #4.  Therefore, will not repeat what was detailed in that posting other than: 

Hearing a klaxon blast in one's Suite at 0015H in the South Atlantic--followed by:  "THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"--does infuse into one's memory the importance of knowing what to do and where to go.  We relied on Cunard's very-detailed Muster Drill when performing muscle memory when preparing to evacuate our Suite and head for the Muster Station. 

Don't believe that because it has never happened--for real--that it cannot happen on a cruise segment.  It happened to us. 

Best, and stay safe. 

GOARMY!

I have a question…when this happened did you get dressed or grab robe and go?  We were in hotel when fire alarm went off.  I put on robe and grabbed purse and ready to go down the stairs…husband took time to get fully dressed. 

Oops..my question got buried…GO ARMY…when this happened did you take the time to get dressed?  We were in hotel when fire alarm went off.  I put on robe and grabbed purse and ready to hit stairs.  My husband took time to get completely dressed. 

13 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Navy sends Army its respects.

As someone who spent most of his twenty-seven years in harness "haze grey and underway", I know the value of drills.  For precisely the reason you stated above.

I have no problem with spending thirty minutes or more on the first day actually reporting to my muster station and going through the motions as if it were the real thing.  I would have no problem if we had to do it every sea day.

• Like 2

rcandkc:

As best I recall timeline specifics (about 20 minutes) from klaxon blast to getting reassurance from the Captain--in typical British panache and understatement--for everyone, and specifically Crew who in the interim had reported to their assigned station(s) to assist passengers, that circumstances had stabilized.  

He advised an alarm had enunciated on the Bridge indicating a "fire in the stack".  Out of an abundance of caution, the First Officer in command on the Bridge had followed protocol in sounding the klaxon; and alerting passengers to prepare to evacuate from Suites to assigned Muster Stations. 

So--his instruction to passengers was to return to our rest.  As for Crew, and I remember this well, the order was:  "Crew: Pipe Down.  I say again, Pipe Down".

During those intervening 20 minutes, spouse and I had donned two layers of clothing; our coats; our life jackets, cleaned out the safe, and retrieved all prescription medication.  And--waited.  I noted the ship (Queen Victoria) had not slowed; there had been no discernable change in direction; and no odors indicating a possible fire. 

The Captain explained there would be a mandatory debriefing of all Crew later that morning; followed by a report back to passengers.  That happened.  The Captain reported proper actions had been taken--specifically by the First Officer in sounding the alarm.  He was proud that all Crew had "performed their duties" by relying on training.  Anyone with further concerns on the situation was encouraged to meet with him--directly.  

Later that morning, I asked our Butler where he had been during the alert.  His response was at his assigned Post, which happened to be right outside our Suite, ready to assist evacuation and confirm all passengers assigned to him were headed to our Muster Station.  He had been with Cunard for about 15 years.  Numerous Drills.  But, he commended that this was the first time it was NOT a drill.  

That experience has informed our belief that attending a mandatory Drill on that first afternoon aboard whatever ship is prudent, and common sense. 

----------

As to seaknots comment concerning short-term memory: 

While on several Regent (and a Princess) cruises over the past two years during which no mandatory Drill was required, we still got those life jackets off the closet shelf and donned same in our Suite, thus refreshing and reinforcing muscle memory. 

Stay safe.   

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GOARMY said:

rcandkc:

As best I recall timeline specifics (about 20 minutes) from klaxon blast to getting reassurance from the Captain--in typical British panache and understatement--for everyone, and specifically Crew who in the interim had reported to their assigned station(s) to assist passengers, that circumstances had stabilized.  

He advised an alarm had enunciated on the Bridge indicating a "fire in the stack".  Out of an abundance of caution, the First Officer in command on the Bridge had followed protocol in sounding the klaxon; and alerting passengers to prepare to evacuate from Suites to assigned Muster Stations. 

So--his instruction to passengers was to return to our rest.  As for Crew, and I remember this well, the order was:  "Crew: Pipe Down.  I say again, Pipe Down".

During those intervening 20 minutes, spouse and I had donned two layers of clothing; our coats; our life jackets, cleaned out the safe, and retrieved all prescription medication.  And--waited.  I noted the ship (Queen Victoria) had not slowed; there had been no discernable change in direction; and no odors indicating a possible fire. 

The Captain explained there would be a mandatory debriefing of all Crew later that morning; followed by a report back to passengers.  That happened.  The Captain reported proper actions had been taken--specifically by the First Officer in sounding the alarm.  He was proud that all Crew had "performed their duties" by relying on training.  Anyone with further concerns on the situation was encouraged to meet with him--directly.  

Later that morning, I asked our Butler where he had been during the alert.  His response was at his assigned Post, which happened to be right outside our Suite, ready to assist evacuation and confirm all passengers assigned to him were headed to our Muster Station.  He had been with Cunard for about 15 years.  Numerous Drills.  But, he commended that this was the first time it was NOT a drill.  

That experience has informed our belief that attending a mandatory Drill on that first afternoon aboard whatever ship is prudent, and common sense. 

----------

As to seaknots comment concerning short-term memory: 

While on several Regent (and a Princess) cruises over the past two years during which no mandatory Drill was required, we still got those life jackets off the closet shelf and donned same in our Suite, thus refreshing and reinforcing muscle memory. 

Stay safe.   

GOARMY!

On our recent cruises, we've been shown our muster station on our way to our cabin. We've watched the video (twice each time), and located and put on our life jackets. Whenever we passed our muster station we pointed it out to each other to make sure we could quickly locate it from our cabin and the other places we frequented. 

We boated for 30 years, half of that time on larger boats where we traveled long distances by ourselves. For 7 years we spent 6 months in the Bahamas, living on our boat, and traveling back and forth from the US on our boat. We always had a ditch bag ready to go in case we had to abandon ship quickly. That was at the dock, as well as underway. Since selling our boat and replacing it with taking cruises back in early 2017, we bring a waterproof bag and have it ready as a ditch bag on all of the cruises we've taken. The clothes we hope to wear before going to the muster station are placed on top of the ditch bag.

I still don't find the actual muster drills useful. While there are usually plenty of staff directing you to the muster station, there always seems to be someone who normally works in the boutique or as an entertainer near the end of the drill who is really interested in having a neat line before we can go out to the life boat, and they often have trouble figuring out if everyone is there once we get to the lifeboat.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, GOARMY said:

Best, and stay safe. 

GOARMY!

Our first RSSC cruise is upcoming(we've cruised before), and I figured I would be in the singular minority applauding this decision.  In the unlikely event our cruise went Tango Uniform, a few minutes inconvenience that acclimated all of us as to what to do in a life threatening situation is fine by me. Better safe than...   

• Like 1

At first I thought the change back might be a bit annoying.  But, after reading the notes above, I see the value in going through the motions.  Some great tips shared above which I will try to incorporate when setting up our cabin.  Thank you for your contributions on this topic.

• Like 1

SWFLAOK: 

Appreciated your perspective on this matter--to include the Ditch Bag.  We have been on all the Cunard Queens.  Last was pre-pandemic in 2018.  So--cannot attest to current protocols.  What I most-remember was the precision and detail taken during each Drill.  

There were no inattentive participants--either passengers or Crew.  Our instructors were members of a Security element.  It was obvious to all that these guys had a military history--probably including SAS (Special Air Service), or equivalent.  Gave us a sense of security. 

To reinforce we would all be in "this" together:  When leaving the Muster Station to a particular tender--each passenger, with life jacket firmly in place, (no dangling lines to be tripped upon) placed one hand firmly on the shoulder of person in front of him/her.  A strong grip.  We were going to be responsible for more than just-ourselves if the "Fit hit the Shan".  Yes, a straight line, with no one talking.   

So-simple; so effective as to a mind-set.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 1:14 AM, GOARMY said:

7 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

told we will be doing full muster in sydney even though we are B2B

The most memorable muster drill we attended included standing on deck, wearing lifejackets overlooking Sydney Harbour Bridge fairly soon after the Costa Concordia disaster.  A friend of mine had been on board the CC and thankfully survived to tell the tale (not all did, sadly).  Her words "when the walls became the floor..." put things into perspective for me rather and since then I have been more alert to the drill, not only small details like whether the life jacket clips on or needs to "be tied in a double bow at the side" and have taken it all more seriously.  I'm with @GOARMY every time on this one.

• Like 4

I was in the Coast Guard for 20 years (12 active) and all these rules were "written in blood."  Costa Concordia changed the lifeboat drill rules since many passengers had not even seen a video when they boarded and had no idea where their muster stations were.  I much prefer the video, but that is not the same as actually going to your place of muster.  I believe Regent would also prefer the video only to take a load off the crew.  But International Law  requires muster drills. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

I still remember my muster station on Explorer in 2019(Pacific Rim). A few days into our cruise last summer I had forgotten where our muster station was and had to look it up. Then I forgot again. 

I’m fine with going back to real muster drills. 

• Like 2