Civitavecchia port - luggage porters?

isitmayyet

On 1/28/2023 at 4:36 PM, isitmayyet said:

Curious if the Civitavecchia port has luggage porters and would we be able to take our luggage in, drop it off and then go back out into the city outside the port for lunch?  

We have never seen a luggage porter at Civitavecchia.  In fact, they can be hard to find at most train stations.   There used to be a couple of luggage storage places in town, but that was prior to the COVID shutdowns and restrictions.  We do not know if there are still any options.  Perhaps somebody who has more recently been in town can post an update.

Hank

As Hank says, there are no porters at the railway station. You are responsible to get yourself and your luggage to the ship, by taxi, on foot or by connecting with the shuttle.

At the pier, however, there are porters in the sense that when you walk up to the terminal, someone will take your bags and start them on their way to your cabin, leaving you free to check in or go back out of the port into the town. In fact if check in has opened, you will probably be able to do both. Depending on which pier your ship is docked at, it could be a short walk back to town, or a much longer one and you might want to ride one of the shuttle buses. 

8 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

I’ve read so much on not tipping in Italy but I’ve not seen anything mentioned about porters.  Are they to be tipped or not?  

Not.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

I’ve read so much on not tipping in Italy but I’ve not seen anything mentioned about porters.  Are they to be tipped or not?  

As said above, no need to tip them. You won't find them with their hand outstretched unlike at the US ports....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

It is a little complicated and there are numerous web sites that talk about tipping customs in various countries.  In Italy you need to be aware of various service charges (often mentioned in very small type at the bottom of menus) such as Coperto or Pane e Coperto (a charge for eating bread or bread sticks).  And than you might see (in very fine print) "Servizio" which is simply a service charge.  My personal favorite is an extra service charge for entertainment which we have seen at one very touristy cafe on St Marks Square (Venice) where a single cup of coffee could cost you nearly 20 Euros.  Some Italian servers are also adept at spotting Americans and suggesting, "tips are not included" when presenting the check.  If in doubt, simply do not tip or just slightly round up your payment.

Another more recent issue has happened to us when using credit cards.  The waiter will bring over the card reader/machine (this is the normal practice in Europe where folks do not let their credit cards out of their sight) and input the check amount.  They will them either ask you "how much tip to add" or present the card reader with the screen showing tip options (i.e. 10%, 15%, 20% etc).  They do not normally do this to Europeans (most would ignore it anyway).  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hiltner for this very useful info! Hubs and I were just talking this morning about tip practice.  Seems like they are giving Americans what they are used to by asking how much tip they want added in. I’m 100% cool taking a break from tipping for a week and following their way of life lol.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Thanks Hiltner for this very useful info! Hubs and I were just talking this morning about tip practice.  Seems like they are giving Americans what they are used to by asking how much tip they want added in. I’m 100% cool taking a break from tipping for a week and following their way of life lol.  

Easier said than done!  We Americans often suffer from what has been called "tipping guilt" and have a difficult time not tipping :).  We sometimes see posts here on CC where folks suggest they will always tip...not matter what!  What we (Americans) fail to understand that mores do differ around the world and there are actually places where tipping is considered an insult and patronizing.  The UGLY American is alive and well and believes that they are always right and there is no need to follow local customs.

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 12:38 PM, Hlitner said:

Easier said than done!  We Americans often suffer from what has been called "tipping guilt" and have a difficult time not tipping :).  We sometimes see posts here on CC where folks suggest they will always tip...not matter what!  What we (Americans) fail to understand that mores do differ around the world and there are actually places where tipping is considered an insult and patronizing.  The UGLY American is alive and well and believes that they are always right and there is no need to follow local customs.

Hank

Hi Hank, long time no speak. Wife and I are Italian and we speak the language fluently. That being said we are rarely mistaken fo tourists and do understand the practice, or lack thereof, of tipping in Italy. I really love all of the extra charges they tack onto your bill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HMSDingy said:

Hi Hank, long time no speak. Wife and I are Italian and we speak the language fluently. That being said we are rarely mistaken fo tourists and do understand the practice, or lack thereof, of tipping in Italy. I really love all of the extra charges they tack onto your bill. 

Come live here in some places like NYC.  Get a meal in NYC and then you add 8.75% tax plus another 20% tip.  Drives our European friends crazy 🙂

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Come live here in some places like NYC.  Get a meal in NYC and then you add 8.75% tax plus another 20% tip.  Drives our European friends crazy 🙂

Here in Montreal we have a federal and provincial tax totalling 15% and tipping is from 15% to 20% or whatever the heck you want to pay. But living here isn't as expensive as NYC. I have a niece who's studying at Columbia on a scholarship and lucky for her, the scholarship covers her rent. 

• 5 months later...

@Hlitner and @cruisemom42 -  We are staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Rome for two days pre-cruise.  We will not be taking public transportation to Civitavecchia, and we prefer to use one of the two hotel offered transportation options - hotel shuttle bus or private hire car.  I cannot seem to find out where we get dropped off at the port and more importantly do we need to lug our bags any distance or are there porters who take the luggage where we get dropped off.   TIA

You SHOULD be dropped off close to your terminal. That said, I have only arrived at Civitavecchia post-COVID, not departed from there, and I know they frequently change things like shuttle routes, update terminals, etc. I still think you'll be dropped off close by. You still will probably have to bring your own bags a short distance, either inside the terminal or to a luggage check-in area just outside. 

• Thanks 1

Check with the hotel if the services they used are authorized to enter the port.  If so, you'll be dropped off at the terminal (or at your ship if in berths 25 or 26).

If they are not authorized to enter you'll be dropped off at the Largo della Pace shuttle bus stop, where you'll get a free bus to your ship or terminal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Check with the hotel if the services they used are authorized to enter the port.  If so, you'll be dropped off at the terminal (or at your ship if in berths 25 or 26).

If they are not authorized to enter you'll be dropped off at the Largo della Pace shuttle bus stop, where you'll get a free bus to your ship or terminal.

Thanks, I have been trying to get an answer to this question from the hotel, but the contact person doesn't seem to understand my concern.  She keeps merely sending me a response advising the shuttle bus or private transfer rates and booking info.  Very frustrating especially since DW is very concerned she won't be able to take her bags very far at all.

25 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks, I have been trying to get an answer to this question from the hotel, but the contact person doesn't seem to understand my concern.  She keeps merely sending me a response advising the shuttle bus or private transfer rates and booking info.  Very frustrating especially since DW is very concerned she won't be able to take her bags very far at all.

Maybe the hotel can give you the name of the service they use and you could contact them directly?

Also it could be that something is getting lost in translation, literally.  Of course most people in hotels speak English but if by chance their reading of English isn't as good, and they're translating the email, it may not come across correctly.  

I used Shared Shuttle, post covid, and was dropped off right at my ship. (Or as close/far away as you'd be dropped in Miami or Port Everglades if you follow that line of thought! 😄  )

There were porters as well.  Funny thing, a LOT of people blew them off and TRIED to get their giant suitcases through the scanners.  Security was NOT having it and told them to go back outside.  Not sure if they understood the English (with a heavy Italian accent) but one of the guards got so annoyed that he took a bag and started walking outside with it. Eventually they followed (we're talking 20+ people) and the line finally moved.  

Wish I'd been able to record it as it was rather comical.  Annoying because of the hold up but comical to see.  Oh and these pax did speak English as soon as they got on the ship  

Edited by megr1125

15 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Maybe the hotel can give you the name of the service they use and you could contact them directly?

I used Shared Shuttle, post covid, and was dropped off right at my ship. (Or as close/far away as you'd be dropped in Miami or Port Everglades if you follow that line of thought! 😄  )

Yes, I did ask for the contact info for the car service, but I've gotten no response yet.  I looked at Shared Shuttle and they suggest putting a solicitation for others on our roll call to fill a vehicle.  I am staying at a hotel in Rome for two days pre-cruise and the roll call for this cruise isn't very active.  Finding others on the roll call staying at the same hotel wasn't practical.

Thank you for the suggestions, I have decided to just book the private car service and just adapt to whatever comes at embarkation.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:32 PM, Daniel A said:

Yes, I did ask for the contact info for the car service, but I've gotten no response yet.  I looked at Shared Shuttle and they suggest putting a solicitation for others on our roll call to fill a vehicle.  I am staying at a hotel in Rome for two days pre-cruise and the roll call for this cruise isn't very active.  Finding others on the roll call staying at the same hotel wasn't practical.

Thank you for the suggestions, I have decided to just book the private car service and just adapt to whatever comes at embarkation.

To be honest I think that you are overthinking this.   You will be on a shuttle designed for cruisers.  Cruisers have suitcases.  There will be a way to get the suitcases from the shuttle to the ship.    Happy cruising 

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

To be honest I think that you are overthinking this.   You will be on a shuttle designed for cruisers.  Cruisers have suitcases.  There will be a way to get the suitcases from the shuttle to the ship.    Happy cruising 

I hope you are correct!  DW is very anxious about needing to walk any distance carrying her bags.  The only videos we have seen about Civitavecchia show people walking in long queues dragging their bags before they get to the free port shuttle to the ship.

Whatever the case, I now have a private car service booked for the trip from Rome to the port and I'll just deal with whatever comes.  Thanks for the reassuring words, I'll pass them along to DW.  💁‍♂️

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, Daniel A said:

Hey @Daniel A my roll calls sent very active, either, so I understand nit being able to coordinate w/felliw cruisers.

What is your sail date and what date do you arrive in Rome?

We arrive Oct 26, sail Oct 29 returning Nov 9, flying out of Rome Nov 10.

Then we're back in Rome Nov 22 w/a sail date of Nov 26.

Happy to share transport if any of those dates align with yours.

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @Daniel A my roll calls sent very active, either, so I understand nit being able to coordinate w/felliw cruisers.

What is your sail date and what date do you arrive in Rome?

We arrive Oct 26, sail Oct 29 returning Nov 9, flying out of Rome Nov 10.

Then we're back in Rome Nov 22 w/a sail date of Nov 26.

Happy to share transport if any of those dates align with yours.

Thanks for the offer, but we are sailing in September.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I will be on a bus with a group of 50 people arriving at the Civitavecchia Port. We are wondering if it's important to print out luggge tags for all of us and attach them to our suitcases (a lot of work with such a large group) or just give them our cabin numbers when we check in? Also, do you know how close this bus can get to the ship or will we have to take a shuttle?