Can you check in and then get off?

MDTrip

You might be able to just check your luggage in at the cruise port and then go wander off to tour.  Make sure that you know what time you need to be aboard.

Another option might be to have your hotel hold your luggage until it is time to leave for the ship.

Yes. You can drop your luggage with porter. Board the ship and have lunch. Put your carry-on in your stateroom. Then leave the ship to explore the town. Just make sure that you come back before the "All Aboard" time. 

I've done this on many cruises. Some port they may discourage you to leave to ship -- one particular example is Northbound Alaska Cruise from Vancouver. You could leave the ship to explore Vancouver after you check-in and board the ship but then you will have to go though the immigration process again when you come back. 

It totally depends on the departure country. It's not a blanket yes. My husband was not allowed to do this in Singapore when he realised he'd left something important at the hotel. Singapore has departure immigration controls and we had gone through that prior to boarding. 

Also the ship held our passports until the day prior to our first North American port of call - this was transatlantic with a stop in the Azores.

And with all due respect, I would not necessarily put all my faith in what an NCL agent says.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I know (at least in the past) you could do this with NCL in Barcelona. Also have done it (on Carnival) in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Barcelona is a port of call as well as an embarkation/disembarkation port. I did a med cruise in 2021 and embarked in Rome so Barcelona was a port of call for me whereas the majority of guests on that cruise were disembarking there. 

1 hour ago, eileeshb said:

Barcelona is a port of call as well as an embarkation/disembarkation port. I did a med cruise in 2021 and embarked in Rome so Barcelona was a port of call for me whereas the majority of guests on that cruise were disembarking there. 

We were also on a Mediterranean cruise with multiple embarkation ports. What I was referring to was dropping off our luggage when embarking in Barcelona and then being allowed to get off and explore the city,

On 1/30/2023 at 1:49 PM, MDTrip said:

Ship sails from Lisbon at 9:00 PM. Can we check in, get rid of bags and get off again to explore town?

Shouldn't be a problem. We sailed from Lisbon last month and lots of people were doing that same exact thing.