Jeter02

Do you use Princess EZ Air When Booking Flights  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Princess EZ Air When Booking Flights

• EZ Air Embark Only / Independent Disembark
    • EZ Air Embark and Disembark
    • Independent Embark / EZ Air Diaembark Only
    • Independent Embark and Disembark

Just curious how many like using Princess EZ Air when vooking Flights. I know most like the safety net aspect, but sometimes flights are much cheaper when booking independently (not always). 

How do you like booking your flights when air travel is needed for your cruise?

Edited by Jeter02

We will always check EZ Air for flights. I'd say about 80% of the time we are using EZ Air and the rest we are using FF miles or there's a better deal purchasing direct with the airline.

Found that international flights are the best deal, especially if you're booking business class.

Domestic flights aren't much of a bargain but have found that sometimes booking first class is worth it as you get a higher baggage allowance that offsets the price difference.

Booking as soon as flights open up IMHO is the key. Then keep watching for price drops. Found they can be volatile for a couple of months after opening up but seem to stabilize after that with prices tending higher as one gets closer to the flight date.

• Like 3

We mostly cruise out of LA port, so we don't need to fly.

when we have flown in the past, to Seattle, Vancouver, NYC, Ft Lauderdale, we always check our options.  We did use EZair twice, the cost of the business class going through them was way cheaper than booking on our own/direct with airline.

Shop around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

EZ-Air. If the price drops, cancel the pervious one and rebook it again at the new price. Plus, you don’t have to pay right of way. 

FYI to consider with decisions when booking. The recent December storm flight cancellations proved to us that E-Z Air is the way to go as they took care of all costs rerouting flights to get us to the "next port" which was Kauai and PVP  we purchased allows us to file a claim  with receipts for all out of pocket expenses (max. payout may mean you don't get everything back} but 5 days of Hotel, Meals, Taxi etc . means out of pocket is quite a hit, particularly starting Christmas Eve, so very happy to have  had the E-Z Air and Princess Insurance which we normally do get  unless Cruise is of short duration and close to our Home Port.

Happy Cruising !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

We use Delta Skymiles often to book our trips, the Amex card helps with this process. With that said if EZ Air has a good price we will weigh the value of the miles against the EZ Air price. 

Same with us.  EZAir just cannot compete when you factor in the Delta loyalty program...but you have to be at one of the higher levels.

• Like 2

We book with EZair when it becomes available and then watch the prices on EZair as well check commercial flights.  One huge plus with EZair is the ability to change your mind up until 45 days before and you don't have to pay for it until making the final payment.  With the airline they want money up front and it is usually non-refundable unless you pay more to change/cancel the flight.  We almost always stay with the EZair reservations.  One big caveat is that they don't refund the money after final payment day when you change/cancel the EZair reservation before the 45 day deadline.  (voice of experience!)  You will get a credit to use on that sailing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Same with us.  EZAir just cannot compete when you factor in the Delta loyalty program...but you have to be at one of the higher levels.

But you still get points if you book through ez air and you book a delta or affiliated airline flight.  the only thing is you won't get upgrades and have to pay with $$$ instead of points

• Like 1

Not sure if @Rick&Jeannieis talking about an accelerated  points system when purchased though the airline using  a co branded credit card and 

and having a higher lever of loyalty?  Then yes, one or both of the things can lead to significant mileage awards. 

We use miles as well. We are always looking to earn more. LOL.  We look at EZ air, though.  I like control of my own air.  We frequently fly in advance of a cruise, sometimes more days than the allotted window and to a different city.  For this  summer’s trip  we had EZ Air flights, but a few weeks ago, decided to book our own. The price was really good. And the mileage award was outstanding.

14 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I know most like the safety net aspect, but sometimes flights are much cheaper when booking independently. 

I have done 11 cruises with Princess and used EZ Air for 10 of them. (drove to San Diego for one)

Most were international flights to/from London, Barcelona and Sydney.  I have never, EVER seen fares that were cheaper, or even CLOSE to being as low as EZ Air. Domestic flights were no big difference.

I have Delta, United and American credit cards and still earn miles and get the perks through EZ Air.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

I have done 11 cruises with Princess and used EZ Air for 10 of them. (drove to San Diego for one)

Most were international flights to/from London, Barcelona and Sydney.  I have never, EVER seen fares that were cheaper, or even CLOSE to being as low as EZ Air. Domestic flights were no big difference.

I have Delta, United and American credit cards and still earn miles and get the perks through EZ Air.

I saw that I booked independently for the same exact flights is about $130 cheaper versus EZ air to fly out to LAX. In the beginning when I started traveling via plane to get to the ship I would be risky and just book it independently even though I would fly and always day of. And then I started booking with easy or just for that safety net for embarkation.

Thank God for most cruises being a local here in South Florida but the port in my backyard is a huge bonus would not having to worry about flights.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:18 PM, Jeter02 said:

I saw that I booked independently for the same exact flights is about $130 cheaper versus EZ air to fly out to LAX. In the beginning when I started traveling via plane to get to the ship I would be risky and just book it independently even though I would fly and always day of. And then I started booking with easy or just for that safety net for embarkation.

Thank God for most cruises being a local here in South Florida but the port in my backyard is a huge bonus would not having to worry about flights.

I understand have cruise ports local is a big plus but most Alaska or Europe cruises don't start from Florida ports so if you want to go to those places you have to fly

I would say not as cut and dried as the questionnaire.  If using EZ-Air, I would use it both ways.  I would absolutely use EZ-Air for anything international, but for US ports, I would consider airline directly as EZ-Air isn't always a big savings.  Depends if I wanted the flexibility to cancel/change flights, or might want to use FF points.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I would say not as cut and dried as the questionnaire.  If using EZ-Air, I would use it both ways.  I would absolutely use EZ-Air for anything international, but for US ports, I would consider airline directly as EZ-Air isn't always a big savings.  Depends if I wanted the flexibility to cancel/change flights, or might want to use FF points.

Thoughts on price vs. safety net of flight change or disruption?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Thoughts on price vs. safety net of flight change or disruption?

I suppose even for domestic, if EZ-Air is close to the airline pricing, I would choose EZ-Air.  Another factor would be the airline involved and whether it is possible to do seat selection prior to ticketing. 

I don't factor in airline-induced changes because that can happen no matter which way I book.  I suppose there are also airlines I would prefer and not prefer due to perceived reputation or for FF points (not that I will ever be anyone's top tier flyer again in my life).

For international, the flexibility to shop and re-book - including completely different airline, and different airlines going and returning - is an amazing benefit.  No question in my mind it is the way to go.  I know that through diligent monitoring and changing I booked the absolute lowest business fares for the dates we flew to and from Rome this past Fall.  

Unfortunately for us (and nothing to do with nabbing those low fares), both transatlantic legs had "last minute" equipment changes (it was two different airlines as well) such that we got "stuck" with old-style business class seating instead of the new style that was in most aircraft.  This sort of "luck" is probably why I don't win the lottery.

• Like 3