New to Celebrity

1interpreter

The hubby and I and our 17 year old daughter are looking to cruise over spring break. We have only ever cruised with Royal Caribbean. I'm just wondering how strict Celebrity is with the dress code in the dining rooms. I know that Royal has gotten so lax that pretty much anything goes these days. We typically like dressing up, but we are looking at a 10 day and would be flying to FL. We really don't want to have to pack a ton of semi-formal/formal wear if there really is no need for it. I have heard from some that they are really strict and from others that they aren't. Any advice would be great. Also we couldn't find any prices on the drink packages. Does anyone know what the cost is for those? We don't want to do the unlimited included package (drinks, wifi, etc). I can't drink alcohol due to medical reasons so the alcohol package would just be for my hubby and the regular soda package would be for my daughter and I.

We just got off Equinox and agree with other they do enforce the dress code. The only night you can get away with shorts is the first night. They are a little light on enforcing because some people have not got their luggage. 
Hope this helps!

Drink Packages are $109 a day for premium and $89 for Classic plus gratuities.

They just raised this. Check out the Celebrity App or go on their site.

• Thanks 1

Day time isn’t much different but during the evening people dress nicer in general. T-shirt’s and gym shorts seem to be the norm on Royal. You won’t see much of that on Celebrity.  

You would have to get approval from Celebrity to purchase only 1 alcohol package. Classic standard price is $89/day and premium is $109/day. The Zero Proof package (soda) is $30/day per person. Plus 20%. You would be adding around $2300 (without getting WiFi) by not doing All Inclusive. It may not make sense. 

14 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

We just got off Equinox and agree with other they do enforce the dress code. The only night you can get away with shorts is the first night. They are a little light on enforcing because some people have not got their luggage. 
Hope this helps!

They relax the dress code on the last night too on the basis that people have packed their luggage to head home the day after.  On our last cruise (September 22), we did see men wearing shorts on other nights too but smart ones. 

10 hours ago, 1interpreter said:

The hubby and I and our 17 year old daughter are looking to cruise over spring break. <snip> We typically like dressing up, but we are looking at a 10 day and would be flying to FL. We really don't want to have to pack a ton of semi-formal/formal wear if there really is no need for it. <snip>

Hello and welcome to Celebrity.

There is absolutely no need to pack semi-formal/formal wear. "Chic Night" does not require anything formal. Nice collared shirt and slacks for men and a nice top & slacks/skirt or nice dress for ladies. No sports coats/ties or cocktail dresses needed. My DH often wears a silk Hawaii shirt and dress slacks.

For dinners in the main dining room/Blu/Luminae/specialty restaurants, a collared shirt and slacks for men and a top & slacks/skirt or casual dress for ladies. I've worn nice capri pants and a nice looking top with sandals for dinner with no problems. As people have mentioned, shorts at dinner are a no-no.

Enjoy your cruise.

I no longer pack a tie with me when we sail.  I typically wear jeans/docker's during the day and dress pants at night.  During the day I'll wear a polo shirt or the occasional t-shirt.  At night it is a long sleeved or short sleeved dress shirt.  Depending on the itinerary, I may bring a sports coat.   

Our next cruise is 15 days and I plan to take full advantage of our free Elite bag of wash and fold laundry service and will have dress shirts and dress pants put through the regular laundry at least once.  

In the past, the dress code was enforced in the MDR, but not so on our January cruise on the Silhouette.  We saw multiple men and women wearing shorts and tshirts to dinner.  When we asked why it was being allowed, we were told it was because we were docked at San Juan at the time and people were just getting back on the ship.  The following days when we were not docked, we continued to see shorts and tshirts, though not as many.  Some passengers were turned away at the MDR front desk while others slipped through.

I think some of these responses are wishes more than reality. We’ve been on both RCCL an X recently and the dress codes are very similar.  We’ve seen many men in the MDR most evenings in shorts on both lines.  Royal tends to attract a younger crowd so you may see a few more t-shirts but the difference is minimal.  

Jeans for men are  OK for any night, Chic included. For Chic nights, men should have a collared, preferably long sleeve, shirt.  Many women typically wear capris or long pants most nights. For Chic night add a sparkle top. No need to pack a lot of dress-up clothes. 

3 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

I just checked the price for the premium and classic drink packages on-line and they cost less if prepurchased.   I have several cruises booked with Celebrity and prepaying was the same amount for every cruise.  

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

22 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

I just checked the price for the premium and classic drink packages on-line and they cost less if prepurchased.   I have several cruises booked with Celebrity and prepaying was the same amount for every cruise.  

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

If you are Diamond or higher on Royal you will be Elite on Celebrity which gives you free drinks (limited menu) in most bars (not Martini or World,) from 5 to 7 every evening. You can get enough canned water during the free time to last the next day. No free drinks on first night.

You can carry drinks from the bar (Passport is the nearest) into the MDR.

For 4 days it could be cheaper to pay as you go.

You would also get 90 minutes free internet each.

17 hours ago, 1interpreter said:

The hubby and I and our 17 year old daughter are looking to cruise over spring break. We have only ever cruised with Royal Caribbean. I'm just wondering how strict Celebrity is with the dress code in the dining rooms. I know that Royal has gotten so lax that pretty much anything goes these days. We typically like dressing up, but we are looking at a 10 day and would be flying to FL. We really don't want to have to pack a ton of semi-formal/formal wear if there really is no need for it. I have heard from some that they are really strict and from others that they aren't. Any advice would be great. Also we couldn't find any prices on the drink packages. Does anyone know what the cost is for those? We don't want to do the unlimited included package (drinks, wifi, etc). I can't drink alcohol due to medical reasons so the alcohol package would just be for my hubby and the regular soda package would be for my daughter and I.

Dress is more casual overall on all mainstream lines...friend wore dark jeans to dinner on Edge, but they did not let sons in w/ shorts.

Regarding the drink packages:

Classic alcohol $81 plus 2 soda packages ($27+27)/day plus 20% gratuity is $1620  for 10 days.

(my planner shows these prices...discounted pre-cruise)

Internet is $17pp/day--tho cheaper the more devices you have. 3 devices priced at $10/day/device--seems it may be cheaper for ONE person to book 3 devices  than each to book 1 device!

So wifi: $300-500 (tho u could cut that to $170 if you get one plan to share between the 3 of you)

Gratuities: $525 

Honestly, it may be just as cheap to book the All-inclusive price. Looking, it is about $800 more pp, so $2400. To pay for 1 alcohol package, 2 zero proof packages, gratuities & wifi for ONE device to SHARE is $2315....

I'd just book AI so everyone gets their own unlimited internet & it's simplified. 

Plus no need to worry about getting a doc note.

DO double check how much more the AI is, as occasionally I see it higher than $80/pp/day...not sure why.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For a 17 year old not to be board, I would recommend another line

Our 3 teens sailed the Constellation--and they say that EVERY cruise they have done was GREAT (DCL, RCCL, Princess & Celebrity).  And that cruise was 2/3 FSU students. 

But it was a 5 day.

Our kids like cruise activities & like to hand with us a lot. We bring card games to play too.

On a 10 day I would recommend S class or E class ships--bigger, more activities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

Our 3 teens sailed the Constellation--and they say that EVERY cruise they have done was GREAT (DCL, RCCL, Princess & Celebrity).  And that cruise was 2/3 FSU students. 

But it was a 5 day.

Our kids like cruise activities & like to hand with us a lot. We bring card games to play too.

On a 10 day I would recommend S class or E class ships--bigger, more activities.

Fair point, if any cruise is 2/3 students then the youngin's will have fun

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1interpreter, as others have mentioned, no need to bring semi-formal/formal wear for the cruise!

As you may know, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean normally require that if one adult has a Classic or Premium drink package, then the other adult(s) in the cabin have to have either a Classic or Premium drink package as well.

Proving a letter from you doctor stating that you can't have alcohol for medical reasons might do the trick for being allowed to only buy one drink package.

I agree with KKB that in the end you may find that booking a all-inclusive cruise to be less expensive.

We too are doing our first Celebrity cruise this year and another next year, we've done about 40 on RCI so looking forward to a different product, on RCI we are able to give our free drinks to other guests as it's a coupon for 5 drinks per person each day, as we will be all inclusive on these sailings are we able to gift a drink during the happy hour?

19 hours ago, 39august said:

Jeans for men are  OK for any night, Chic included. For Chic nights, men should have a collared, preferably long sleeve, shirt.  

Where does it say “preferably long sleeve shirt”?  

58 minutes ago, thon said:

58 minutes ago, thon said:

It doesn’t.  It says, “shirts with sleeves”.  In other words, no sleeveless shirts.  😎

2 hours ago, welshrich said:

We too are doing our first Celebrity cruise this year and another next year, we've done about 40 on RCI so looking forward to a different product, on RCI we are able to give our free drinks to other guests as it's a coupon for 5 drinks per person each day, as we will be all inclusive on these sailings are we able to gift a drink during the happy hour?

No, you are not supposed to give your Elite Happy Hour drinks other passengers. 

You cannot use your beverage package to obtain drinks for others either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texed said:

It doesn’t.  It says, “shirts with sleeves”.  In other words, no sleeveless shirts.  😎

Yes.  And both long sleeved and short sleeved shirts have sleeves.  So not just long sleeved ones.😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, welshrich said:

Basically when you book with AI pricing it wipes out the Elite benefits of the drinks and the internet. 

On 2/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, MarKay525 said:

Hello and welcome to Celebrity.

There is absolutely no need to pack semi-formal/formal wear. "Chic Night" does not require anything formal. Nice collared shirt and slacks for men and a nice top & slacks/skirt or nice dress for ladies. No sports coats/ties or cocktail dresses needed. My DH often wears a silk Hawaii shirt and dress slacks.

For dinners in the main dining room/Blu/Luminae/specialty restaurants, a collared shirt and slacks for men and a top & slacks/skirt or casual dress for ladies. I've worn nice capri pants and a nice looking top with sandals for dinner with no problems. As people have mentioned, shorts at dinner are a no-no.

Enjoy your cruise.

We are in aqua class, in Blu can my other half wear a nice pair of jeans and a short sleeve collared shirt?