X Give us a better burger...Youtuber JimZim "They really don't know how to make a good burger"

NutsAboutGolf

18 hours ago, OysterD said:

Burgers from the mast grill on Reflection a few months ago were great, no complaints from us. Hot, tasty and definitely worth the calories. 

The hot dogs on the other hand, eek. 

I'll second that. I thought the hot dogs were fine, so maybe that negates my opinion of the burgers?

16 hours ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

Used to love Mast Grill also but tried it recently and was disappointed.  Didnt go back for the rest of the cruise.  

Celebrity should check out Carnival’s Guy Burgers.  Best burgers of any cruise line that I’ve tasted

• Like 5

19 hours ago, miched said:

I don’t spend thousands of dollars to dine on hamburgers, fries, pizza or hot dogs.   

I know many enjoy that stuff and it is offered for them, but as posted not worth the calories when there are better options of stuff that I don’t know how make or is too time consuming to make.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We've been on 69 cruises and never had a hamburger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am sure they will accommodate accordingly... thinness solved, I believe...

Bo,

It's not that simple, unfortunately.  A thin patty gets overcooked and dried out very quickly.  Stacking two just gives you a thicker dried-out and over-charred well-done sandwich.  You've got to start with a thicker patty to retain juiciness and flavor.  

It's just like the steaks - two of X's notoriously thin NY strips does not equal one thicker one that can be cooked to a perfect interior rare or medium-rare.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miched said:

I don’t spend thousands of dollars to dine on hamburgers, fries, pizza or hot dogs.   

I know many enjoy that stuff and it is offered for them, but as posted not worth the calories when there are better options of stuff that I don’t know how make or is too time consuming to make.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We also spend thousands plus $16.95 in order to receive two lobster tails

20 hours ago, OysterD said:

Burgers from the mast grill on Reflection a few months ago were great, no complaints from us. Hot, tasty and definitely worth the calories. 

The hot dogs on the other hand, eek. 

There's only one thing I've said is awful and two things inedible, the hot dog is both awful and inedible.  Most times I've ordered the NY Strip medium rare in recent times it been so tough and chewy it just isn't worth chewing effort.  Burgers are below average, not worth the calories

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

What puzzles me is that he was sailing in a suite and did not comment on the Luminae Burger.  I have had good burgers at the Mast Grill and OVC and I have had bad burgers in both but can't say I have ever had a bad Luminae Burger.  Granted, Guy's on Carnival is free and the Luminate Burger is only available to suite class passengers, which is not a fair comparison but to say they do not know how to make a "good burger" is a generalization.   

He does compare it to Guys burgers.  If we want to analyze what he said, word for word, we would need conclude that EVERYONE at celebrity cannot make a good burger, which is incorrect.  The Luminae burger is only offered for 90mins during lunch (perhaps you can ask for it at dinner) but from 2pm-6pm, the mast grill, a few buffet items like pizza and RS are your only options.  He also had access to Blu's veggie burger and it's a safe bet that he never tried that one

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Mast Grill/Pool Grill burgers on Celebrity- people love them or hate them.  I'm not a big fan - too fatty.  

For "free" burgers on a Celebrity ship the burger in Luminae is excellent.  Yes I know most cannot get it.

But if not in a suite, the MDR serves very good burgers for lunch on most sea days.  You can get beef sliders in the Craft Social Club- but an upcharge. 

I would pay an upcharge for a very good burger on Celebrity - like perhaps Johnny Rockets on RCCL.

Celebrity tried this with the so-called Top Deck Burger Bar a few years ago.  I had one on Constellation and it was worth it to me. Delicious burgers made to order.  It was short lived - maybe a month?  That was because they made the mistake of substituting it for the free Mast Grill burger.  They should have kept both in place - but they closed the Mast Grill and caused a furor!  Even though they moved the free cheap burgers, hot dogs and fries into the OVC buffet at lunch.  Same deck as the Mast Grill and pool.  But people had to cover up a bit from the pool to get them. 

There isn't many who LOVE THEM, in a way, the Mast Grill burger patties are like thanksgiving turkey, an often dry and near-flavorless "delivery vehicle" for toppings.  If they made a  ̶d̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶  better burger maybe more folks would eat one during the day and therefore eat less for dinner saving X some $$$

They do have the lawn club grill on a few ships but I believe they charge $25 + 18% for lunch and therefore many think that's too steep.  Many mid-top tier steakhouses which often use actual steak trimmings charge less than $25.  You could go to any US supermarket, buy the cheapest refrigerated 80/20 ground beef usually $4-$5/lb, (one dollar per patty at full retail pricing) put nothing more than salt on it and it would be superior to the one served at mast grill

Rarely have I gotten a burger on a ship, but those times when I went to the mast grille, I received a hot, fresh, juicy burger right off the grille.  And with fries fresh from the fryer, I had no complaints.  Much better than I expected, honestly.  Have they changed? and how?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Most people don't spend "thousands of dollars" to cruise. That being said, what are the alternatives? Not like the other food is really all that "premium" either. Starting with the bad NY Strip, stale salmon, cut down buffet and - the cherry on top - frozen, tiny lobster tails that seem to matter for so many folks.

On 2/9/2023 at 4:11 PM, WonderMan3 said:

I thought the burgers at the Mast Grill were great. That was pre-Covid though so maybe quality has declined.

Its just a frozen mass produced patty, probably from Sysco.  I don't eat beef, so I get the turkey burger.  Its not great either. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Its just a frozen mass produced patty, probably from Sysco.  I don't eat beef, so I get the turkey burger.  Its not great either. 

That is a shame.  We both enjoy a good Turkey burger. 

24 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I like Sysco, they give me a small pension.  Seriously, we like burgers. Our recent Millie cruise we walked by and they did not look appetizing. I don't know if it was the bun or the condiments....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, postnobills said:

Bo,

It's not that simple, unfortunately.  A thin patty gets overcooked and dried out very quickly.  Stacking two just gives you a thicker dried-out and over-charred well-done sandwich.  You've got to start with a thicker patty to retain juiciness and flavor.  

It's just like the steaks - two of X's notoriously thin NY strips does not equal one thicker one that can be cooked to a perfect interior rare or medium-rare.

p thank you, yet my comments were directly aimed at the 'thinness' issue, not quality.

I do understand and accept that there are a few comments about quality, not in the purview of mine as I do not eat animal products, so I will only comment on the presentation issue.

I do know that different people like their meat cooked in different ways and degrees, as such no one way is no more valid than another, by me.

As such, any challenges one has about preparation is no different or better than anyone else's who prefers it on the opposite side. To me, that is.

bon appetit and bon voyage 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, miched said:

For those not on a cruise you can make a Valentine Reservation at White Castle and get some real sliders

https://www.eatthis.com/white-castle-valentines-day-dinner-2023/

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Did you ever hear of the Fleur Burger?  Little more than White Castle.  And some of us eat burgers at lunch.  What protein do you enjoy for lunch?

On 2/9/2023 at 7:20 PM, Islander500 said:

I ordered one from Mast Grill in Jan. It was thin, already over cooked but returned to grill to be warmed up. Took just one bite.  Not worth the calories, for sure.  

We had one from the Mast Grill in November, it was thick but had absolutely no taste.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, miched said:

For those not on a cruise you can make a Valentine Reservation at White Castle and get some real sliders

https://www.eatthis.com/white-castle-valentines-day-dinner-2023/

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Yikes!  Mast Grill Burgers are not very good but are still so much better than those awful White Castle concoctions.  Are they even beef?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I think of the Mast Grill, I visualize those former hockey pucks sitting in a pool of "liquid' waiting to be served.   Best bet is to ask for the patties to be brushed  with butter and grilled and then load up the burger with sautéed onions, mushrooms, fresh onions, pickles, horseradish, mayo, ketchup and mustard. 

Make sure you have a stiff drink to wash it down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Did you ever hear of the Fleur Burger?  Little more than White Castle.  And some of us eat burgers at lunch.  What protein do you enjoy for lunch?

We did not have White Castle where I grew up.  Instead we had Krystal and although they look exactly like the burgers sold by White Castle they tasted so much better.  

On a business trip last year our team went to a White Castle.  It was simply horrible and unlike any White Castel experience I had before.  3/4 of the team did not finish their food and we stopped and ate somewhere else on the way back to the hotel.  

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We did not have White Castle where I grew up.  Instead we had Krystal and although they look exactly like the burgers sold by White Castle they tasted so much better.  

On a business trip last year our team went to a White Castle.  It was simply horrible and unlike any White Castel experience I had before.  3/4 of the team did not finish their food and we stopped and ate somewhere else on the way back to the hotel.  

LOL.  Who's idea was it to take the business team to White Castle?  Maybe that person needs to seek other employment.🍔

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, D C said:

Rarely have I gotten a burger on a ship, but those times when I went to the mast grille, I received a hot, fresh, juicy burger right off the grille.  And with fries fresh from the fryer, I had no complaints.  Much better than I expected, honestly.  Have they changed? and how?

I can only speak to the burgers served there over the last 4 years and in each case they were pre-cooked and only re-heated on the grille for speed.

The only change I've seen recently was a move from the thin patties to a thicker product, but I'd have to concur that the result is a dry somewhat tasteless burger sadly.