Trying RC again.

Oakman58

Wife and I will be trying Royal Caribbean again.  It has been 17 years since our cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas which was our very first cruise.  Since then most of our cruises have been with Norwegian although we have cruised with Carnival, Holland, and most recently Princess.

NCL turned us off with the cutbacks in service and increase in prices and we’ve been trying other cruise lines.  Our recent Hawaiian cruise with Princess is a one and done with that cruise line, the negatives far outweighed the positives.

So now we have booked a December cruise on Explorer of the Seas hoping that Royal Caribbean will become our cruise line of choice.  We booked cabin 7620 which is on the ship’s bump out. I looked at the cabin layout and it looks like there is a small couch where two people can sit. 

The standard balcony on the Princess ship only had seating for one, a chair.  When we ordered a room service breakfast we had to drag a balcony chair in.

I believe Explorer of the Seas in currently in drydock so hopefully she will still look fresh on our December cruise.

6 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Wife and I will be trying Royal Caribbean again.  It has been 17 years since our cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas which was our very first cruise.  Since then most of our cruises have been with Norwegian although we have cruised with Carnival, Holland, and most recently Princess.

NCL turned us off with the cutbacks in service and increase in prices and we’ve been trying other cruise lines.  Our recent Hawaiian cruise with Princess is a one and done with that cruise line, the negatives far outweighed the positives.

So now we have booked a December cruise on Explorer of the Seas hoping that Royal Caribbean will become our cruise line of choice.  We booked cabin 7620 which is on the ship’s bump out. I looked at the cabin layout and it looks like there is a small couch where two people can sit. 

The standard balcony on the Princess ship only had seating for one, a chair.  When we ordered a room service breakfast we had to drag a balcony chair in.

I believe Explorer of the Seas in currently in drydock so hopefully she will still look fresh on our December cruise.

7620 is a great cabin for views. It's on the center of the hump so it allows you to look all the way forward and all the way aft without any obstructions. There will be a coffee table in your cabin but it is not as tall as a dining table. You'll have to sit on the couch or desk chair and lean over to eat your meal.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

7620 is a great cabin for views. It's on the center of the hump so it allows you to look all the way forward and all the way aft without any obstructions. There will be a coffee table in your cabin but it is not as tall as a dining table. You'll have to sit on the couch or desk chair and lean over to eat your meal.

We're good with sitting on a couch and desk chair to eat breakfast, it was having to drag a balcony chair in on the Princess that I thought was ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

I would try a oasis class ship before you decide about rcl overall. World of difference between explorer and oasis in shows and choices of food. I'm a big ship fan myself. I love the real musical and park cafe and things your ship wouldnt have. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would try a oasis class ship before you decide about rcl overall. World of difference between explorer and oasis in shows and choices of food. I'm a big ship fan myself. I love the real musical and park cafe and things your ship wouldnt have. 

My wife and I have been on large ships and ships the size of the Explorer.  We enjoy both as they both have their pluses and minuses.  

After cruising with 8 lines (in signature) including ones you mentioned Royal became our line of choice. Well rounded line. We love number of choices from various ports near us. 

We enjoy all classes, including smaller Vision class (like Rhapsody)

Edited by Tatka

24 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

My wife and I have been on large ships and ships the size of the Explorer.  We enjoy both as they both have their pluses and minuses.  

The one downside to Explorer, is it is the one Voyager Class ship that hasn't been updated.  That is because it was due for a massive update during Covid, which obviously was postponed.  I've sailed on her, and while she's still a great ship, she definitely could use some love.  I've sailed on Navigator as well (her slightly newer sister) and the difference was significant between an updated/amped ship and one that hasn't been touched for a while.   The other thing about the 'hump' on Explorer and Voyager, is those were built when the balconies are more inset/part of the structure, so you don't get more balcony space like you do on more recent builds.  You can see what I mean in the pictures below.  Explorer's balconies are inset into the structure versus Navigator's more open balonies. (which is why on the earlier Voyager class ships, you cannot open a partition between balconies)

image.png.42a72f8f12e157339ba06e8c47ba89aa.png

Navigator.jpg

Crystal ball says the OP will not be happy because they thrive on looking for faults versus enjoying all of the goodness.

They are sailing on middle-of-the-market cruise lines in mid-range cabin classes,,, but expect Star class accommodations and service. It is like someone booking a Garden Inn and expecting a Conrad. 

Straight of the gate,,, the ship is in dry dock now, hopefully it will still look good in December,,, says we’ll see a post in December about every rust spot and stain in the carpet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Crystal ball says the OP will not be happy because they thrive on looking for faults versus enjoying all of the goodness.

They are sailing on middle-of-the-market cruise lines in mid-range cabin classes,,, but expect Star class accommodations and service. It is like someone booking a Garden Inn and expecting a Conrad. 

Straight of the gate,,, the ship is in dry dock now, hopefully it will still look good in December,,, says we’ll see a post in December about every rust spot and stain in the carpet. 

That was all a bit harsh

• Like 6

Sometimes a change of lines is all one needs to up their cruising experience.  As we love RCCL , hope you will too!  We have two NCL booked far in advance for the ports (both repos) as they are new to us, we won't be aware of the changes that are not to your liking.  To each their own, happy cruising!

I think if you go in with positive thoughts, and an open mind, you will have a great time. If you are in a negative mindset, you will find things to complain about. Royal has changed also. Just read the numerous threads on people’s disappointments. A lot that may bother you, may not bother others. I was on the Explorer in 2017, and had a great time, but that was years before Covid, and a lot has changed on all cruise lines.

I personally prefer Oasis and Quantum class ships, but would not hesitate a smaller ship for a great itinerary.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I wouldn’t say I thrive on pointing out negatives, but when something is wrong I believe in pointing it out.  I’m not a cruise line cheerleader like you.  I don’t recall ever complaining about rust on a ship or even a stain.  Although if there is a stain on a chair that I’m about to sit on I will write about that.

Since this website is Cruise CRITIC, I think it’s important to point out any problems that arise during a cruise or design flaws.  Glossing over the negative and only highlighting the positive doesn’t help prepare a new cruiser for what to expect or what they might experience on a cruise.

On my recent Princess cruise I had plenty of issues not the least of which was an inch of standing water sloshing around on our balcony for two days.  And I think it’s an incredibly stupid design to have balcony cabin that sleeps two but only has seating for one.  I don’t consider that to be expecting star class accommodations.  Every other cruise and cruise line I’ve been on had a balcony cabin that offered seating for at least two and in some cases three or four.

On our Princess cruise the tendering operation, both to and from Maui was so slow it was laughable.  Weeks before our cruise we had booked specialty dining at the steakhouse and Sabatini’s.  Both reservations were cancelled by the restaurant manager during our cruise.  The steakhouse remained closed for the entire cruise.  We had so many small issues I could go on and on but you get my drift.

Do I point out the negative?  You bet I do.  And I think all those cruise line cheerleaders on this site do a disservice to those who join looking for information.

I will add this one positive note about our Princess cruise.  The Princess Medallion is the best thing since sliced bread.  I hope other cruise lines offer something similar in the future.

• Like 2

Oasis class has more entertainment but i really like voyager class like explorer , great ice show, nice pub with live music, piano bar called schooner plus more music options. Ship is not to big or small, have cruised this size several times .

• Like 1

The balcony built into the hull was one of my biggest disappointments on Explorer along with the tinted glass barriers.  Why would you use tinted glass to hide the beautiful ocean?!?!?  I love balconies but this was like sitting in a rather rusty tin can.  

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

The balcony built into the hull was one of my biggest disappointments on Explorer along with the tinted glass barriers.  Why would you use tinted glass to hide the beautiful ocean?!?!?  I love balconies but this was like sitting in a rather rusty tin can.  

LOL, you cause me to be negative.  You think you were disappointed with the balcony on the Explorer, then don't ever book a hull balcony on the NCL Epic.  While it was a large balcony, it like having a window without glass.  And since BirdTravels says I thrive on looking for negatives, the positive of that balcony is it won't be windy.  LOL!

1519064216164_1.thumb.jpg.105aede4095a2bd2311d1b49d32c48ad.jpg

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

What is that?

It's like a little GPS the size of a quarter that you wear on a lanyard or a band that looks like a wristwatch.  It automatically unlocks your cabin door as you approach.  I loved not having to fumble for a room card to insert in the door, especially when I had a coffee in my hand.  You can also order drinks or food using the Princess App from anywhere on the ship and they can deliver it to you because the medallion tells them where you are.

On our Princess cruise I couldn't find the mini-golf course.  On the phone app I called up the deck plan with the golf course and then tapped on "take me there."  It gave me step by step instructions on how to get to the course from where I was standing and even followed my progress on the phone like a GPS.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

It's like a little GPS the size of a quarter that you wear on a lanyard or a band that looks like a wristwatch.  It automatically unlocks your cabin door as you approach.  I loved not having to fumble for a room card to insert in the door, especially when I had a coffee in my hand.  You can also order drinks or food using the Princess App from anywhere on the ship and they can deliver it to you because the medallion tells them where you are.

On our Princess cruise I couldn't find the mini-golf course.  On the phone app I called up the deck plan with the golf course and then tapped on "take me there."  It gave me step by step instructions on how to get to the course from where I was standing and even followed my progress on the phone like a GPS.

Sounds nice if you want to use it!

9 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

NCL turned us off with the cutbacks in service and increase in prices and we’ve been trying other cruise lines.  

If you follow the cruise news, you will find that most all popular cruise lines are cutting back on staffing,  food portions and quality and more. I hope you find Royal more to your liking. The Explorer is a great ship and will have been refurbished before your cruise.

7 hours ago, rockmom said:

The one downside to Explorer, is it is the one Voyager Class ship that hasn't been updated.  That is because it was due for a massive update during Covid, which obviously was postponed.  I've sailed on her, and while she's still a great ship, she definitely could use some love.  I've sailed on Navigator as well (her slightly newer sister) and the difference was significant between an updated/amped ship and one that hasn't been touched for a while.   The other thing about the 'hump' on Explorer and Voyager, is those were built when the balconies are more inset/part of the structure, so you don't get more balcony space like you do on more recent builds.  You can see what I mean in the pictures below.  Explorer's balconies are inset into the structure versus Navigator's more open balonies. (which is why on the earlier Voyager class ships, you cannot open a partition between balconies)

image.png.42a72f8f12e157339ba06e8c47ba89aa.png

Navigator.jpg

Explorer is in dry dock now for updating. Slides, new restaurants and all the goodies.

• Like 1