I have a question

hinterlandboyz2

Hello to all Cruisers.

I have a question that just maybe a cruiser can answer. Why do all Princess Cruise ships based here in Australia, not have tea making facilities available in every guest stateroom when I know that all staterooms on PC ship based in the UK have a kettle in each stateroom. When I have asked staff on an Australian based PC ship I'm told that for fire/safety reasons kettles are not available for staterooms. If it is indeed a safety issue for PC  in Australia why then do the UK ships have a kettle in each Plebs stateroom. I'm talking about the Plebs (Non-suites etc.) staterooms here. The Royal Caribbean has tea/coffee making facilities in each stateroom and they don't appear to see that having a kettle is a fire/safety issue.

I would be interested if any cruisers can shed some light on this particular subject.

I thank you in advance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

Hello to all Cruisers.

I have a question that just maybe a cruiser can answer. Why do all Princess Cruise ships based here in Australia, not have tea making facilities available in every guest stateroom when I know that all staterooms on PC ship based in the UK have a kettle in each stateroom. When I have asked staff on an Australian based PC ship I'm told that for fire/safety reasons kettles are not available for staterooms. If it is indeed a safety issue for PC  in Australia why then do the UK ships have a kettle in each Plebs stateroom. I'm talking about the Plebs (Non-suites etc.) staterooms here. The Royal Caribbean has tea/coffee making facilities in each stateroom and they don't appear to see that having a kettle is a fire/safety issue.

I would be interested if any cruisers can shed some light on this particular subject.

I thank you in advance.

They don’t have them out of the US either. In fact, the only ones I’ve heard of are out of the UK.  
I always thought it was due to demand out of the UK.  Maybe they are more careful than those of us in the rest of the world?  IDK

Great question.

Thank you for endorsing my question, it's much appreciated.

Interesting that it only appears the UK based PCers have the luxury of making a nice cup of tea or coffee, albeit instant, in their staterooms, when they arise from their nights slumber. Apart from my partner and I there must be thousands of PCers worldwide who enjoy a cup of tea/coffee even before they dress for the day and yet we as guests, not sailing out of a UK port, are refused the same treatment as our UK cruisers, this to us is totally discriminatory on the behalf of Princes Cruises (Carnival).  

1 hour ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

Why do all Princess Cruise ships based here in Australia, not have tea making facilities available in every guest stateroom

Perhaps have some on board and distribute them on request. Space in a cruise ship cabin is at a premium. I don’t want counter space taken up by an appliance that I have no interest in using. Don’t care whether it produces tea or coffee. I’m not making either so I’d rather have counter space to place my Bose speaker so that I can play music softly, but apparently still at a level that it will disturb people from Santa Fe. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Of course I enquired of the room attendant and he was the very person that informed me that no kettles in stateroom, as already mentioned in my post, apparently with PC it's because a kettle is a fire/safety issue. Some comments I have received have been very unhelpful eg. change cruise company etc. My original question was a GENERAL question and observation. 

My wife really enjoyed having a kettle in the room when we sailed out of Southampton. It's really annoying that she can't have that convenience when we sail out of the US. I certainly wouldn't want Princess to take it away from the cruises out of the UK to "make it even" or some stupid thing like that but I would dearly love for her to have her kettle on any Princess cruise we take. Like I said, she really enjoyed having the kettle. (It makes no difference to me at all other than the fact that it made her very happy. That's enough for me.)

• Like 2

Thank you for your comment it is most appreciated. Has your wife ever been able to ascertain from her US cruises as to why no kettle is supplied in or to the stateroom? I believe that all PC guests should be able to request a kettle for their stateroom if required.  

5 hours ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

Of course I enquired of the room attendant and he was the very person that informed me that no kettles in stateroom, as already mentioned in my post, apparently with PC it's because a kettle is a fire/safety issue.

The cabin attendant is not the best person to ask as he has been trained to be sure passengers do not have brought their own kettle as Princess cannot know if it is safe or not.

The kettles supplied by Princess for UK sailings have met the Princess for safety.

So you need to ask someone up the management chain at Princess why the safe kettles Princess supplies for UK sailings cannot be provided for Australia sailings.

8 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

They don’t have them out of the US either. In fact, the only ones I’ve heard of are out of the UK.  
I always thought it was due to demand out of the UK.  Maybe they are more careful than those of us in the rest of the world?  IDK

Great question.

Perhaps the people from the UK wouldn't cruise or choose another cruise line unless they were provided with a kettle?

Considering the amount of tea they consume. 

9 hours ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

I have a question that just maybe a cruiser can answer. Why do all Princess Cruise ships based here in Australia, not have tea making facilities available in every guest stateroom when I know that all staterooms on PC ship based in the UK have a kettle in each stateroom.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

you need to ask someone up the management chain at Princess why the safe kettles Princess supplies for UK sailings cannot be provided for Australia sailings.

This is the answer I would endorse.  I normally say go straight to the top (John Padgett), but in this case I would go with someone just under the top - like the person who runs Princess' Australia operations.  He or she would know exactly what's going on, and maybe he/she would tell you if you asked nicely.

10 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Perhaps have some on board and distribute them on request. Space in a cruise ship cabin is at a premium. I don’t want counter space taken up by an appliance that I have no interest in using. Don’t care whether it produces tea or coffee. I’m not making either so I’d rather have counter space to place my Bose speaker so that I can play music softly, but apparently still at a level that it will disturb people from Santa Fe. 

Drinking my morning coffee while reading your post and I laughed right out loud!  Subtle, Jimmy, subtle.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Perhaps the people from the UK wouldn't cruise or choose another cruise line unless they were provided with a kettle?

Considering the amount of tea they consume. 

I think it is just simething that us Brits expect to see wherever we stay, be it a cabin on board ship, a cheap b&b or a posh hotel. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Drinking my morning coffee while reading your post and I laughed right out loud!  Subtle, Jimmy, subtle.  

I too noticed that and had a chuckle, crisp humor. A little like Heller in Catch-22 🙂

• Like 1

In a previous discussion on this topic and the related 'Can I bring my own kettle', it was suggested that it is in fact a safety issue, and there is enough demand in UK to go through the process of safety checks between cruises etc.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting...we've sailed out of Southampton on several occasions, different ships.  We've NEVER had a "kettle" in our cabin.  (Usually either a balcony or mini-suite)

They knew you were coming! 😁

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

In a previous discussion on this topic and the related 'Can I bring my own kettle', it was suggested that it is in fact a safety issue, and there is enough demand in UK to go through the process of safety checks between cruises etc.

There is absolutely no need to do safety checks between cruises. Moulded plugs, thermal cut outs, etc what danger is there ?

Imagine trying to check 2000 kettles in a three hour turn round - just doesn't happen.

Edited by wowzz

35 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting...we've sailed out of Southampton on several occasions, different ships.  We've NEVER had a "kettle" in our cabin.  (Usually either a balcony or mini-suite)

Strange - we always have a kettle.

52 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Exactly.  I sailed from Southampton to the Canary Islands last spring and the ship was about 95% Brits and there wasn't a kettle in sight in the cabins.  Perhaps this was due to the fact that Enchanted was supposed to be home ported in Copenhagen in 2022 for Baltic cruises and went to Southampton when this became unfeasible, but no kettle and plenty of room on the countertop for Bose (or Echo) speakers...

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Exactly.  I sailed from Southampton to the Canary Islands last spring and the ship was about 95% Brits and there wasn't a kettle in sight in the cabins.  Perhaps this was due to the fact that Enchanted was supposed to be home ported in Copenhagen in 2022 for Baltic cruises and went to Southampton when this became unfeasible, but no kettle and plenty of room on the countertop for Bose (or Echo) speakers...

Yes, the change of home port caused the problem.

Social media was full of unhappy Brits !

I believe that you are most probably correct in your assumption, it had to do with cost to PC and not a fire/safety risk at all. Why can't PC just be upfront about not having kettles in their ship staterooms, apart from those ships based in the UK, bets me.