Flights by Celebrity (FBC)

drakes2

I have a couple of cruises for this year that I'm considering but checking options for flights before committing. I am finding that FBC has become more expensive as opposed to booking directly with the carrier. Have checked on both cruises and they only now offer refundable flights. Has anyone experienced the same? 

I called for an Azamara Cruise late 2023 and also found the quoted fare higher than if I booked myself, even with the refundable aspect.  We booked on our own.  Granted, we had to pay now, rather than later, but I did book refundable just in case.

Checked out prices on FBC a lot for our upcoming May 2023 cruise and ended up booking directly with AA. There were a few factors that made us choose direct booking. We were able to book premium economy refundable tickets for much less than booking with FBC; we could immediately choose our seats; and based off not so great reviews on this board about FBC we felt more comfortable knowing we would be alerted by the airline should any changes occur to our flight.  IMO I think the only thing good about FBC is the option to defer payment for airline tickets until final payment of cruise.  Some would say it’s a good thing knowing FBC will make sure you get to the ship should there be delays but if you fly in a few days prior there shouldn’t be a problem.  I would also add that not being able to hold a lot of faith in any airline these days as far as cancellations I think it’s best to book refundable.  Good luck with your research!  It can be a bit overwhelming.  

39 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Checked out prices on FBC a lot for our upcoming May 2023 cruise and ended up booking directly with AA. There were a few factors that made us choose direct booking. We were able to book premium economy refundable tickets for much less than booking with FBC; we could immediately choose our seats; and based off not so great reviews on this board about FBC we felt more comfortable knowing we would be alerted by the airline should any changes occur to our flight.  IMO I think the only thing good about FBC is the option to defer payment for airline tickets until final payment of cruise.  Some would say it’s a good thing knowing FBC will make sure you get to the ship should there be delays but if you fly in a few days prior there shouldn’t be a problem.  I would also add that not being able to hold a lot of faith in any airline these days as far as cancellations I think it’s best to book refundable.  Good luck with your research!  It can be a bit overwhelming.  

Thank you. The cruise I'm looking at is end of March so would have to make full payment on it anyway.  I booked a 15 night TA on the Apex last October for this coming April and FBC did come in cheaper for this particular cruise so we chose to book with them and defer payment.  I always fly a day in advance and 2 for Europe for obvious reasons also have a better chance of getting my luggage should it go astray. Never had but always a risk.  Not sure why but all of Celebrity's flights seem to now be refundable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

...  Not sure why but all of Celebrity's flights seem to now be refundable. 

My WAG is that there were too many that booked flights for pay later and then cancelled their cruise, so did not go through with the air portion. To hold those seats and then lose them probably cost FBC a few dollars. This way they have no real liability by you booking so early and deferring payment. You are now paying for that convenience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RTShaker said:

My WAG is that there were too many that booked flights for pay later and then cancelled their cruise, so did not go through with the air portion. To hold those seats and then lose them probably cost FBC a few dollars. This way they have no real liability by you booking so early and deferring payment. You are now paying for that convenience.

That makes total sense but on the other hand how many people will now book FBC if they can only get refundable flights.  I called a couple days ago re booking a cruise for next September. Agent was really pushing me saying prices may go up but I prefer to book onboard pay the $100 deposit and take advantage of the additional OBC. I was a bit surprised as generally they don't pressure you. 

I have found that booking international flights (from/to North America) is the better fare value proposition, pending on when one chooses to book.

For example I booked our international flights as soon as they became available (one year in advance of sailing) now flights on the open market are 4 times higher...

Since the fare is refundable I told those who are traveling with me and did not book right away, to book with FBC and watch the fares if they come down enough, call and be re-book OR re-book through the airline.

Sometimes, I believe, getting flights is like playing roulette, no matter where one purchases them from.... LOL

Good luck in getting one at the right price, I know it can be daunting, to say the least..

bon voyage

Each of us have our price points

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 5:42 PM, Bo1953 said:

I have found that booking international flights (from/to North America) is the better fare value proposition, pending on when one chooses to book.

For example I booked our international flights as soon as they became available (one year in advance of sailing) now flights on the open market are 4 times higher...

That's the case with us. We're booked on an Asian cruise in March 2024. I just bought airfare from Celebrity because it was literally half the price I'm seeing anywhere else.

Now, I have a question: How do I pay for the flight? I chose "Pay Later"  when I booked it and I can't find how to pay later. My TA's invoice hasn't updated to include the new charge and there's no link in my receipt. The app they pointed me to, is a POS and completely unworkable.

3 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

That's the case with us. We're booked on an Asian cruise in March 2024. I just bought airfare from Celebrity because it was literally half the price I'm seeing anywhere else.

Now, I have a question: How do I pay for the flight? I chose "Pay Later"  when I booked it and I can't find how to pay later. My TA's invoice hasn't updated to include the new charge and there's no link in my receipt. The app they pointed me to, is a POS and completely unworkable.

If you book with a TA it should be on their invoice 

6 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I assume you received an invoice from FBC?  I know you are probably like me and booked the air on line.

I pay the airfare via my TA with my final payment.  The TA needs to update your invoice to include the airfare.

I am not sure why it is not automatic with FBC, but you can tell your TA now.  
I usually want until I am closer to the final payment as I sometimes change myAir if the price drops.  Price drops are not automatic.

Edited by jagoffee

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I assume you received an invoice from FBC?  I know you are probably like me and booked the air on line.

I pay the airfare via my TA with my final payment.  The TA needs to update your invoice to include the airfare.

I am not sure why it is not automatic with FBC, but you can tell your TA now.  
I usually want until I am closer to the final payment as I sometimes change myAir if the price drops.  Price drops are not automatic.

Thank you. I received an invoice from FBC after I booked online.

I'll contact my TA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, patty1955 said:

p1955.. The best way to do it is to call FBC directly to make the payment...

bon voyage

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Why do you think this is the best way?

Thanks.

The tickets were booked through FBC and are to be billed by X.

I believe that FBC can facilitate the payment so tickets can be issued....

bon voyage

7 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Our flight ticket next month for TA cruise from YYZ to FLL was ticketed almost immediately. Was told the return from Amsterdam woukd be ticketed in early February. When I had not received called FBC and two days later tickets were sent to me.  All apps downloaded and information there so its very convenient. 

• Thanks 1

I agree that the real benefits for FBC are for international flights. We recently purchased flights for our Australia/New Zealand cruise and it was cheaper than what I could get booking directly with the carrier for business class. I did notice though that right after we booked our flights the option in FBC went up in price and they were no longer listed as no risk/refundable before final payment. They are still cheaper than booking with their airline, but not by nearly as much. Obliviously flight prices vary day to day, but based on some of the comments here it did make me wonder if they limit with number of refundable tickets for certain classes/carriers in case people cancel before final payment.

Last week we booked with FBC our airfare for next January to Australia. We have a B2B cruise with a 10 day post cruise driving trip in Australia. We are flying from San Antonio to Sydney on American Airlines in Premium Economy. Our flights home are on Air New Zealand from Melbourne to Aukland and then direct to Houston, TX in Premium Economy. The whole itinerary was ideal for us, we wanted to fly home on Air NZ as their premium economy is one of the best rated in the industry. There was no way to book this itinerary directly with the airlines involved and the pricing was about the same as doing either United or AA round trip booked directly. Air New Zealand RT was about $1200pp more if booked direct. After booking online, I called FBC to get our seating assigned and it took only about 15 minutes to get all of our seats chosen. Best part is we do not pay until final payment in October, and we can change or cancel flights at any time if we find better deals with no penalty. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

The tickets were booked through FBC and are to be billed by X.

bon voyage

Thanks for your explanation as I value your input.

I feel it is better to make the final payment for the cruise and the airfare at the same time.  My TA puts the airfare on my invoice and I make one payment. Heck, I thought everyone did it that way. 

I check the airline direct pricing right before the final payment is due.  If I am not saving money, I will book directly with the airline and cancel my FBC.  This is in order to avoid paying $200 change fee pp from FBC,  if I want to change my flights after the final payment. (More worried about the airline changing/cancelling flights)

If my airlines ever goes back to charging change fees, I will reconsider this strategy.  

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 12:53 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I submitted a request using my big box TA's "Cruise Change Request" form. It's really not for this type of thing, but it works and it's a lot quicker than calling and being on hold. 

They added the airfare to my booking but the price didn't change.  I've got until December to pay for the airfare so I'm not too worried. If it doesn't correct in the next month or so, I'll call them. 

On 3/26/2023 at 7:18 AM, terrydtx said:

Last week we booked with FBC our airfare for next January to Australia. We have a B2B cruise with a 10 day post cruise driving trip in Australia. We are flying from San Antonio to Sydney on American Airlines in Premium Economy. Our flights home are on Air New Zealand from Melbourne to Aukland and then direct to Houston, TX in Premium Economy. The whole itinerary was ideal for us, we wanted to fly home on Air NZ as their premium economy is one of the best rated in the industry. There was no way to book this itinerary directly with the airlines involved and the pricing was about the same as doing either United or AA round trip booked directly. Air New Zealand RT was about $1200pp more if booked direct. After booking online, I called FBC to get our seating assigned and it took only about 15 minutes to get all of our seats chosen. Best part is we do not pay until final payment in October, and we can change or cancel flights at any time if we find better deals with no penalty. 

I was under the assumption that they assigned your seats.  Good to know that you can pick the ones you want in advance.

2 hours ago, peanut head said:

I was under the assumption that they assigned your seats.  Good to know that you can pick the ones you want in advance.

Many airlines like Delta and United will let you go to their online sites to pick and or change seats once you book and have a record locator number. Some like AA, British Air and Air New Zealand require that FBC  assign the seats. In these cases I called FBC and told them what seats I wanted and they booked them for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 3:48 PM, jagoffee said:

I check the airline direct pricing right before the final payment is due.  If I am not saving money, I will book directly with the airline and cancel my FBC.

This is great advice that I will follow. Thanks!

BTW, there was negligible price difference between AA direct-booking and FBC for our round-trip PHL-LAX flights for our Oct California Coastal cruise on Eclipse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kidz_rn said:

This is great advice that I will follow. Thanks!

BTW, there was negligible price difference between AA direct-booking and FBC for our round-trip PHL-LAX flights for our Oct California Coastal cruise on Eclipse.

We booked with FBC a couple weeks after booking cruise. Direct flight to Florida on the 21st and 1 connection on return.  Prices went up considerably after that then disappeared.  Booking independently would cost 3 x .ore now.