Paxlovid

elapel01

Every time this question has been asked the answer has come back the same, they do not carry it in part because it needs to be prescribed in conjunction with your regular Doctor Who knows your medical history, since there are potential side effects. If anything has changed recently I’m sure someone will correct me

• Like 2

Probably not.  My husband came down with COVID towards the end of our Med cruise in October.  He had a pretty bad cough and sore throat.  He hoped to get Paxlovid to relieve some of his symptoms so we called Medical.  They would not give it to him because he takes a statin drug.  Mixing the two drugs is contraindicated.   They gave him some decongestants and throat lozenges and that was it.  Thankfully he improved in a few days.  

• Like 1

Just under the for what it's worth section, I was given Paxlovid for Covid in late August. It definitely does come with a full set of serious side effects.....those side effects sent me to a lovely week long stay at the local hospital. It definitely needs to be prescribed by your family doctor, and even then, I'm proof that the side effects can still lay you low. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paxlovid can be great.  It also as the previous poster noted can have SERIOUS side effects.  Those with any kidney issues, taking a long list of medicines for blood pressure and cholesterol should not take Paxlovid.

My DW became quickly very ill with Covid.  She has moderate asthma and other issues. Called her doctor and was told to immediately stop taking 3 medications and wait 36 hours before taking Paxlovid.

Taking Paxlovid without the doctor knowing a COMPLETE medical history along with all medications and how long they have been taken is risky.

• Like 2

I don't know if they stock it on Celebrity ships but do have some recent experience. My DH developed Covid on our Millenium cruise two weeks ago. We opted to go to medical to confirm with one of their PCR tests after a positive home test in our room. Our family Dr. had prescribed Paxlovid ahead of time for us and we'd brought it along. The Dr. in the medical center advised against taking it since my husband was "healthy" and not in a high risk group. (Being that we're both over 65, we are considered high-risk by CDC standards). But on the advice of the ship's Dr., my husband thought he'd skip taking it. He takes a statin and baby aspirin daily. He then had a really bad night of fever, aches, shakes and chills so he decided the next morning he wanted the Pax. He had to wait 36 hours after taking his other meds but within about a day and a half, he said he felt dramatically better. Until it kicked in, he was feeling worse by the moment. He was very happy we'd had it with us and that he'd started it.

He is now experiencing the "rebound" effect so many get. He tested negative at home for two days and is now positive again but with very few symptoms. He says that he'd take the Pax again in a heartbeat due to his dramatic improvement. 

When we got the Pax in December, our insurance covered it 100%. I have seen reports on some CC Princess boards that it can be obtained onboard their ships. I've seen costs mentioned anywhere from $750 to $1200. Much better to get it ahead of time and have it and not need it. If you know ahead of time how to adjust your own daily meds, there are many people who can benefit from it. There have also been some studies that show by lowering the immediate viral-load in the body, it may lower the risk of developing long covid.

Our experience only. YMMV 😉

• Thanks 1

I tested positive for Covid on the third day of 10-day Princess New Year's cruise. I'm 74 and have a serious heart condition. The medical staff was terrific. They did several heart tests, had me stop my statin and a few other meds and gave me Paxlovid. I was surprised and delighted that they had it on board. I had a relatively mild case and tested negative on day 6. I was quarantined in my mini-suite and had room service. My wife was allowed to stay with me as she had had covid within three months. I missed all four ports but I'm glad I got through this relatively unscathed. I did rebound a week later for five days at home.  I'm loyal to X (Elite Plus) and I don't love Princess, but our friends were going and it was from San Diego so we didn't have to fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Desert Diamond said:

I don't know if they stock it on Celebrity ships but do have some recent experience. My DH developed Covid on our Millenium cruise two weeks ago. We opted to go to medical to confirm with one of their PCR tests after a positive home test in our room. Our family Dr. had prescribed Paxlovid ahead of time for us and we'd brought it along. The Dr. in the medical center advised against taking it since my husband was "healthy" and not in a high risk group. (Being that we're both over 65, we are considered high-risk by CDC standards). But on the advice of the ship's Dr., my husband thought he'd skip taking it. He takes a statin and baby aspirin daily. He then had a really bad night of fever, aches, shakes and chills so he decided the next morning he wanted the Pax. He had to wait 36 hours after taking his other meds but within about a day and a half, he said he felt dramatically better. Until it kicked in, he was feeling worse by the moment. He was very happy we'd had it with us and that he'd started it.

He is now experiencing the "rebound" effect so many get. He tested negative at home for two days and is now positive again but with very few symptoms. He says that he'd take the Pax again in a heartbeat due to his dramatic improvement. 

When we got the Pax in December, our insurance covered it 100%. I have seen reports on some CC Princess boards that it can be obtained onboard their ships. I've seen costs mentioned anywhere from $750 to $1200. Much better to get it ahead of time and have it and not need it. If you know ahead of time how to adjust your own daily meds, there are many people who can benefit from it. There have also been some studies that show by lowering the immediate viral-load in the body, it may lower the risk of developing long covid.

Our experience only. YMMV 😉

In the US Paxlovid is still an experimental drug and was free at our local pharmacy.

DW a week after Paxlovid was very ill.  Doctor suggested hospitalization possibility.  The rebound lasted 3 weeks.  Still not 100% so in her case short term gain.  Long term not so good.

Agree on adjusting existing meds, but kidney issues are a definite exclusion according to our doctor.  The reduction of covid symptoms was almost immediate for DW.

Everyone is different and according to local hospital no definitive studies as yet.

• Thanks 2

On 2/20/2023 at 6:26 PM, SPacificbound said:

I plan on checking with our PCP about including it in our travel prescriptions.

Will depend on your PCP.   Many doctors including mine responded that it is not off label CDC approved to prescribed prophylacticly.  

He said he could only prescribe if I had a proctored positive test result.    Main reason is the drug are harsh and contradicted to many with liver, kidney, heart or other conditions.    You may have to adjust your prescriptions or this drug.

Having said that -  there are many On-Lind "Doctors' that will prescribe them via virtual visit. 

The next question is whether your drug coverage will cover it.  It runs about $700 per course

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Yes it is. My Ontario family doctor highly recommends it for travel. 

I also noted 2 days ago while in the USA (California) that Pfizer, yes Pfizer, who was against anything other than their shots, is now promoting it on TV. What a change indeed. LOL

My husband got Covid onboard.  I did too, but had no symptoms.  He called our MDVIP doctor and stopped his statin for a day, then took the drug, Paxlovid.  On day 3, most of his body began to cramp and the pain was unbearable.  I called medical and they came immediately, taking him down to deck 2.  He was given two different drugs for an IV that knocked him out; then he was okay, just very sore.  After we arrived home, rebound Covid landed him in the hospital with Covid pneumonia for 5 days. We had scheduled to have our floors replaced immediately after our trip, so my DH had to be in the middle of everything sweeping/cleaning with that stuff flying everywhere.  I cannot help, but think all the dust irritated his lungs too. Fortunately, hospital protocol was excellent.  He was given a Remdesiver drip for three days, along with vitamins etc. and felt so much better.  Of course, then he had to go skiing and have yet another accident, but he refuses bubble-wrap!  

Edited by Lastdance

Years ago, I approached our PCP prior to our first transatlantic cruise to ask his opinion about our travel first aid kit. We had been with him for several years so he knew our medical history and lifestyle. Knowing we would have several days at sea, he wrote several prescriptions for us (giving me detailed instructions for when and how to use them). To date, we’ve not needed to use those prescriptions. Our kit now includes Paxlovid. We haven’t needed it, but we know what to do if we should need it (temporarily discontinuing a med, for example). I believe our PCP knows us well enough to trust us to follow his instructions and/or contact him for further guidance. That said, if either of us had diabetes or significant cardiac issues he might have instead required us to obtain & take Paxlovid under medical supervision. 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will depend on your PCP.   Many doctors including mine responded that it is not off label CDC approved to prescribed prophylacticly.  

He said he could only prescribe if I had a proctored positive test result.    Main reason is the drug are harsh and contradicted to many with liver, kidney, heart or other conditions.    You may have to adjust your prescriptions or this drug.

Having said that -  there are many On-Lind "Doctors' that will prescribe them via virtual visit. 

The next question is whether your drug coverage will cover it.  It runs about $700 per course

This positive test requirement was waived by the FDA a few weeks ago.

• Thanks 1