Solstice Mexican Riviera March 4th-11th...Finally...let the saga...ahem, I mean live review begin!

Georgia_Peaches

Have an amazing cruise, after all that you deserve it!

I think you had the right of it when you said it was because ATL isn’t the hub for AA. It’s a struggle for us to fly anywhere. We cruise out of FLL in a couple of weeks, and even with companion tickets from Amex, it was going to cost about $700 for us both to fly to FLL, so we are driving. But, even Delta in ATL can have issues getting crews, I just hope this summer will be better than last.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mazatlan….what an unexpected little gem!  To say I was enchanted with this city would be quite the understatement. Recent reports of violence (an unfortunate black eye on a lovely city) had me a little nervous…which prompts me to say I was pleasantly surprised and comforted by the lengths the public officials have gone to in order to make tourists feel safe and welcome. To that end, it may be helpful for first time visitors to know that there is a prominent blue line marking the path from the cruise terminal to the old town historic district and downtown plaza. Public volunteers wearing blue shirts and badges are strategically placed throughout the blue line guiding tourists with maps, directions and points of interest. Additionally, there is a very heavy police presence patrolling the areas and stopping traffic for pedestrians to cross busy streets. We felt safe as we explored what Mazatlan had to offer…and there was plenty!  The historic square is a hub of activity from live music, dancing and shaded sidewalk cafes. Venders selling wares add to the lively carnival atmosphere. 

Our excursion for Mazatlán was a Segway tour that began at a hotel/bike shop along the waterline. Carlos was our tour guide of 4 people. He showed us the beautiful buildings of the historic district and gave us history of the area for context. Then we made our way along the boardwalk where I was captivated by the beauty of the water and rock formations. We saw a cliff diver take a daring plunge into what looked like nothing but rocks below. Carlos explained that the water between the rocks is only 5 feet wide making the dive target  all the more dangerous. Not for me, thank you very much, but certainly interesting to watch. Our tour lasted 2 hours which was more than enough time. In fact, it might have been just a tad too long for me but well worth the cost. 

Back on board we have still been hard pressed to find live music for any length of time. That aside, we dined in Murano once again and were well taken care of by the service team. 

Before dinner we headed to the glass blowing center. We missed the boarding day demo but DH really wanted me to schedule a session.   I’m not sure why I was initially reluctant…but wow, was it fun and I highly recommend the experience!

319A198E-F101-4806-885B-CB898F06F383.jpeg

B67705CD-D4F3-40E2-A3CC-5D531A7EDD30.jpeg

917EA1F6-9116-463D-87E8-1C23AEB5AC00.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 5:42 PM, phoenix_dream said:

So glad you were able to make the cruise, and I am enjoying your report.  We are sailing the 18th and 25th B2B in our first ever (and likely our last with current prices!) Royal Suite.  If you are willing to share your actual cabin number that would be great but if not I understand.  Sometimes things like the whirlpool bath are different cabin to cabin.  I'm also hoping for a great butler.  Just had a B2B on Apex in a Sky suite and our butler (not to be named) was let's just say not the best.  Hoping for a better experience this time!  Sorry to hear about the mix-up in Tuscan.  That is just unacceptable!  You pay a lot of $$ to get the perks in a RS which include specialty dining.  They should have found some way to accomodate you, or given you some extra OBC or something to make up for it. 

We sailed on Solstice in a sky suite last December and had a great time.  I am not much for remembering faces, but I remember that Mar and Ken were very good in the Retreat lounge.  I don't recall much of the entertainment, some of which may have changed by now anyway, but I remember not being too thrilled with the production shows.  But having cruised 70+ times on Celebrity I've seen most of them several times anyway so happy to skip them.  Hoping the lounge entertainment is good.  Recently we've found there seem to be a lot of classic and stringed instrument performers.  That's good for a day or two but it gets old after awhile.  So fingers crossed.  Anyway..........enjoy and keep that info coming!

You are going to love your RS!  Agree with your assessment of the entertainment…a little bit sleepier than I remember…especially in the Ensemble lounge, which, in past experiences, seemed to be buzzing with energy. 

Our butler is Glenn and he has been awesome. Yesterday we picked up a bottle of champagne from Cellar Masters to drink on our balcony during sail away. We needed ice for the bucket and when we called the number on his card we found our phone didn’t work. We couldn’t call him/he us. I think it’s an ongoing issue with the phone system that was supposed to be addressed with the revolutionization that has been put on hold. When he heard through the grapevine (I got through to room service) he showed up immediately and was very apologetic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does look like you got some fantastic photos and can only imagine the Awwwww.    What really amazed me was how close to shore they often feed.    I definitely would do it again.    Have you received the link to the Free Photos yet?   If I recall it was a day or two.

The photographer was really good and shot many pictures of the guests also.    His 12 inch telephoto really good some good closeups.

Amazing whale pictures. We were on Solstice last month and used Cabo Trek with a small covered boat. We enjoy going to Hawaii during whale season, but Cabo was so much better than I expected. And perhaps the whales seemed more majestic for us because in Mexico the boats are allowed closer (50 vs 100 yards).

Our Naturalist and Captain were constantly yelling and blowing the horn at the boats that didn’t follow the correct etiquette and/or got to close.

• Like 1

We are following your cruise with great interest as we are boarding Saturday ,March 11th doing a B2B .Those pictures of the Humpback whales were awesome  .That is quite the whale watching tour . We have been to all these ports many many times but ,I never saw pictures like these ever before .Thank you so much & have a fantastic rest of your cruise😃

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Amazing whale pictures. We were on Solstice last month and used Cabo Trek with a small covered boat. We enjoy going to Hawaii during whale season, but Cabo was so much better than I expected. And perhaps the whales seemed more majestic for us because in Mexico the boats are allowed closer (50 vs 100 yards).

Our Naturalist and Captain were constantly yelling and blowing the horn at the boats that didn’t follow the correct etiquette and/or got to close.

Yes  the law in Hawaii   is definitely 300 feet from the whales  .We will be there early Feb  2024 on a cruise & expect to see   them then as well 

I am a bit bummed to hear your comments on lack of live music.  That is one of the things we enjoy about cruising - relaxing with a cocktail and listening to live music.  Hopefully you'll find some.  It is one of the reasons we love cruising on HAL as they have the music walk with lots of different options.  we were on HAL in December and really enjoyed it.  On Princess in September and found the live music option were lacking.  I seem to recall that we had some good live music on Celebrity (cruises before the pandemic), but maybe they have scaled that back??

• Like 1

@Georgia_Peaches Thank you so much for your thread.  Information and entertainment value is off the charts!  DW and I are boarding your ship this Sat, Mar 11th.  We were looking to just take it easy and wander around Mazatlan, so your comments about the blue line, the walkability, and the security was very reassuring.

Edited by N.Ice
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

I am a bit bummed to hear your comments on lack of live music.  That is one of the things we enjoy about cruising - relaxing with a cocktail and listening to live music.  Hopefully you'll find some.  It is one of the reasons we love cruising on HAL as they have the music walk with lots of different options.  we were on HAL in December and really enjoyed it.  On Princess in September and found the live music option were lacking.  I seem to recall that we had some good live music on Celebrity (cruises before the pandemic), but maybe they have scaled that back??

Well if it’s any consolation, live music can be found on the local bus into old town Puerto Vallarta. Lol. When we got on the bus there was a man playing a guitar and singing in the aisle. DH turned to me and said, “I guess we found your live music.”  😂

To be fair, it’s not that they don’t have any, it just doesn’t seem to be syncing with our schedule. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, N.Ice said:

@Georgia_Peaches Thank you so much for your thread.  Information and entertainment value is off the charts!  DW and I are boarding your ship this Sat, Mar 11th.  We were looking to just take it easy and wander around Mazatlan, so your comments about the blue line, the walkability, and the security was very reassuring.

Thank you!  I’m so glad this helps!  We’ll keep the ship in good working order for you!

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It does look like you got some fantastic photos and can only imagine the Awwwww.    What really amazed me was how close to shore they often feed.    I definitely would do it again.    Have you received the link to the Free Photos yet?   If I recall it was a day or two.

The photographer was really good and shot many pictures of the guests also.    His 12 inch telephoto really good some good closeups.

Yes, we have received the link to the photos. Our guide did a fabulous job capturing things I didn’t even see!  

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well if it’s any consolation, live music can be found on the local bus into old town Puerto Vallarta. Lol. When we got on the bus there was a man playing a guitar and singing in the aisle. DH turned to me and said, “I guess we found your live music.”  😂

To be fair, it’s not that they don’t have any, it just doesn’t seem to be syncing with our schedule. 

Thanks - I have been to PV many times - used to own a condo there for 16 years - and yes, I have been on many buses with the live music.  Always fun.  The bus is an experience everyone should have there.  Of course, the buses have for the most part been upgraded now. 

thanks for clarification on the live music!  Hopefully it will sync with our schedule. 

Edited by san diego spartan
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

“I guess we found your live music.”

Love your Husband's sense of humor. PV is one of my favorite ports of call. We have done a tour up to the rain forest. It's quite beautiful, and if anyone ever does a cruise during the summer time to this port, it's much cooler up in the hills and in the rain forest vs the beaches at the shore.

• Like 1

Puerto Vallarta was our final port of this cruise.  Our plan was to take a bus to the downtown area called the Malecón. We exited the shipyard and walked right (southbound )along a busy street for about 10 minutes before coming upon a covered bus stop with bench seating. DH had his doubts about my plan to catch a bus citing concerns about not having a ticket or knowing which bus to catch. The first bus that stopped wasn’t going to the Malecón so we waited. After several minutes another bus stopped. It had Malecón written on the side of the bus but I asked the driver to be sure. Bus fare is $1pp. Paying our money, we climbed up the steps of the vintage city bus that offered standing room only. Bouncing along the city streets of Puerto Vallarta, we were serenaded by a strumming guitar man singing Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire  in the already crowded aisle. Happy to be traveling like a local, we just took it all in. The ride to the Malecón took about 20 minutes. For those who prefer a little less cultural immersion, you can acquire a cab to the area for $20. We talked with some people in the elevator at the end of the day and they said their cab had no a/c and took about the same amount of time. 

Once in the downtown area we debarked the bus and began exploring. The cobblestone streets are lined with colorful lanterns strung up high from building to building. The shops were not like the ones with typical souvenirs you might find near the port. They were authentic Mexican gift and home furnishings stores and art galleries. 

While on our travels we happened upon a very rustic street taco stand. We were drawn in by the odor of fried tacos and I knew we were in for a treat. The only option was beef wrapped is corn tortillas made earlier that morning…. we ordered four. Through broken English and broken Spanish we managed to communicate that all the offered toppings (cilantro, onions, cabbage and sauce) would be just fine. The lady lifted tin foil off of plastic containers and using bare fingers of her ungloved hands 😳, set to work preparing each taco. We took our tacos to go and paid in USD. Rounding the corner, DH and I each pulled out a taco from the foil and looked it over. Welp, here goes nothing!  Toasting each other with a click of the taco, we dug in. Let me just say, those tacos represent some of the very best food I’ve eaten on this entire trip!  I’m glad I set aside my trepidation having watched the preparation to go for the local flavor of the street taco vendor. 

After a walking lunch we headed toward the waterfront. There are beautiful resorts and beach clubs along the beach with umbrella tables and chairs set up on the sand. Lots of restaurants were also set up this way and we stopped at one for a beer. Our table had a great view of the ocean, the sun was hot and the breeze was nice. We didn’t stay, though because it was cash only and we didn’t want to burn through what little cash we had. 

Instead, we continued our walk of the area and eventually made our way to a bus stop to return to the ship. Paying a dollar once again, we rode until we saw the Walmart across from the shipyard. 

We enjoyed PV immensely. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 15

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

For those who prefer a little less cultural immersion, you can acquire a cab to the area for $20. We talked with some people in the elevator at the end of the day and they said their cab had no a/c and took about the same amount of time. 

Our Uber to the Malecon was $5US and a local taxi with AC back to the ship was $10US. I would have never paid $20, definitely ripping tourists off at that rate.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Our Uber to the Malecon was $5US and a local taxi with AC back to the ship was $10US. I would have never paid $20, definitely ripping tourists off at that rate.  

The taxi fares make a different in terms of whether they are the regular local taxis or the ones that can only pick up (not drop off) at the airport and the cruise port.  those are usually the ones you will encounter when you walk right off the ship.  Those are higher prices, but still $20 USD seems very high to the Malecon.  The taxi fares are regulated by Zones.  

To get a regular city taxi - just walk out of the port and you can hail one on the main street - we did it very easily in December.  Frankly $10 USD seems high for a local taxi.  You really should be paying in pesos - but I understand not everyone has them or wants to get them.  

I just finally caught up on your report my Internet has  been  having trouble(probably my own fault ) and finally went to guest relations today and she fixed it for me!! We are having a great cruise but wish it was a little bit warmer!!

salud 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

The taxi fares make a different in terms of whether they are the regular local taxis or the ones that can only pick up (not drop off) at the airport and the cruise port.  those are usually the ones you will encounter when you walk right off the ship.  Those are higher prices, but still $20 USD seems very high to the Malecon.  The taxi fares are regulated by Zones.  

To get a regular city taxi - just walk out of the port and you can hail one on the main street - we did it very easily in December.  Frankly $10 USD seems high for a local taxi.  You really should be paying in pesos - but I understand not everyone has them or wants to get them.  

We didn't have ANY pesos for the entire trip, so it had to be USD. We were going to use Uber back to the Port, but after waiting 15 minutes and no one picking up the Uber ride we hailed a cab on the street and asked how much the ride would be in $. I agree $10 is more than it should be which is why I commented $20 is crazy high and shouldn't be what people think the average taxi cost should be. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

We didn't have ANY pesos for the entire trip, so it had to be USD. We were going to use Uber back to the Port, but after waiting 15 minutes and no one picking up the Uber ride we hailed a cab on the street and asked how much the ride would be in $. I agree $10 is more than it should be which is why I commented $20 is crazy high and shouldn't be what people think the average taxi cost should be. 

Am I correct to assume that $10 was for two people and not $10 each?  

I completely agree that $20 is a lot to pay for that short of a taxi ride.  It is good to know that Uber is available, even though you had an issue getting one back to the ship.  We like having alternatives. 

We are going to be in PV in May and honestly I do not remember us even leaving the ship the last time we were there, September 2008.  I am sure quite a lot has changed. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Am I correct to assume that $10 was for two people and not $10 each?  

I completely agree that $20 is a lot to pay for that short of a taxi ride.  It is good to know that Uber is available, even though you had an issue getting one back to the ship.  We like having alternatives. 

We are going to be in PV in May and honestly I do not remember us even leaving the ship the last time we were there, September 2008.  I am sure quite a lot has changed. 

Yes $10 was for the cab and we had 3 people, with 1 person sitting in the front. Given the cost and it not being a metered ride I didn't add an additional tip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1