Solstice Mexican Riviera March 4th-11th...Finally...let the saga...ahem, I mean live review begin!

Georgia_Peaches

Recapping the last two evenings begins with a live music fix!  Last night was an amazing vocalist called Cheza. She was a theater act on Wednesday but we missed it. Later we learned she was giving a pop up encore performance in the grand foyer last night so we rearranged our dinner time and planned to attend. It was arguably one of the best cruise ship performances we have ever seen. 

We also had an opportunity for live music the night before in the grand foyer, first with the house band and later with a DG. And I’m happy to report that as we walked around yesterday there seemed to be quite a bit more music venues in full swing. 

Yesterday evening we attended a Captain’s Club Music and Mixology event in the sky lounge. This was a well attended invitation only gathering which included more live music and some very skilled and acrobatic bartending of three classic cocktails. It was very entertaining. 

During the afternoon we attended a “Premium Wine Tasting” in Cellar Masters. It was marketed as a wine tasting for $99 pp. Our sommelier was extremely knowledgeable about the wines and we enjoyed the event but we felt as though it might need to be remarketed as a wine and cheese pairing. We weren’t expecting the cheese part of the experience (not that it was bad), but we thought there would be more wine. For us, it just wasn’t a great value and we’d likely not do it again. 

Dinner on Wednesday was Sushi on 5, which never disappoints and last night was Tuscan. Service in both venues was excellent. 

40F6825B-F748-46C6-96E2-A65A7A24EEE8.jpeg

6144834A-E6B3-4803-833E-4E9EF4E2306E.jpeg

FA802727-75C6-4C2E-AF2A-ECF1968273A0.jpeg

2CD3F46B-9237-43DD-B3DF-1E3B448A789D.jpeg

BEAC7E0F-2EBF-4F0E-8C35-8576540920E0.jpeg

B051B2EF-D69A-4421-A6D8-54041B12DF26.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 3/8/2023 at 10:55 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Mazatlan….what an unexpected little gem!  To say I was enchanted with this city would be quite the understatement. Recent reports of violence (an unfortunate black eye on a lovely city) had me a little nervous…which prompts me to say I was pleasantly surprised and comforted by the lengths the public officials have gone to in order to make tourists feel safe and welcome. To that end, it may be helpful for first time visitors to know that there is a prominent blue line marking the path from the cruise terminal to the old town historic district and downtown plaza. Public volunteers wearing blue shirts and badges are strategically placed throughout the blue line guiding tourists with maps, directions and points of interest. Additionally, there is a very heavy police presence patrolling the areas and stopping traffic for pedestrians to cross busy streets. We felt safe as we explored what Mazatlan had to offer…and there was plenty!  The historic square is a hub of activity from live music, dancing and shaded sidewalk cafes. Venders selling wares add to the lively carnival atmosphere. 

I just want to echo this comment re: Mazatlan. We were on the same itinerary in February, and many passengers had worked themselves up to a level of hysteria regarding the stop. 

We were shocked at how tourist-friendly and monitored the blue line was, including the areas toward the malecon along the ocean. Police officers every block or two, and tons of American expats (usually old guys) acting as volunteers along the route. 

It ended up being absolutely the best port stop on the cruise!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Have to mirror others.  

I felt very safe in Mazatlan never had any sense of unrest.    I suggest wouldn't renting a car and driving to Culiacán (about 130 miles away) which is where the Cartel activity is based.   I think many of us know areas within 150 miles of our home that might be dangerous.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have to mirror others.  

I felt very safe in Mazatlan never had any sense of unrest.    I suggest wouldn't renting a car and driving to Culiacán (about 130 miles away) which is where the Cartel activity is based.   I think many of us know areas within 150 miles of our home that might be dangerous.

Also agree. We walked from the ship following the blue line to the historic area of downtown and back with zero problems. Along the way was expats to help and answer any questions. A great port.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think many of us know areas within 150 miles of our home that might be dangerous.

I live 40 miles outside Washington, DC so I know exactly what you are talking about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Agree with everyone on Mazatlán.

Followed the blue line going, lots of unobtrusive police presence, friendly volunteers.  Went beyond old town to the water and walked around, had a great lunch in Old Town then walked back via a boulevard to stop at a local brewery. 

Never felt in danger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:10 AM, lovecruzin said:

Amazing whale pictures. We were on Solstice last month and used Cabo Trek with a small covered boat. We enjoy going to Hawaii during whale season, but Cabo was so much better than I expected. And perhaps the whales seemed more majestic for us because in Mexico the boats are allowed closer (50 vs 100 yards).

Our Naturalist and Captain were constantly yelling and blowing the horn at the boats that didn’t follow the correct etiquette and/or got to close.

I am totally enjoying your review!  Thank you for sharing. However, I think Mexican boat tours vs. Hawaiian boat tours are getting too close to the whales.  Sure..... it does make for great pictures but?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/03/11/whale-kills-tourist/70184294/

6 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I just want to echo this comment re: Mazatlan. We were on the same itinerary in February, and many passengers had worked themselves up to a level of hysteria regarding the stop. 

We were shocked at how tourist-friendly and monitored the blue line was, including the areas toward the malecon along the ocean. Police officers every block or two, and tons of American expats (usually old guys) acting as volunteers along the route. 

It ended up being absolutely the best port stop on the cruise!

When there are a bunch of police officers there is normally a reason for this .  LOL

I would feel much safer where police officers were not needed.  

Am I stating the obvious?  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

When there are a bunch of police officers there is normally a reason for this .  LOL

Funny you mention this. DH and I said this very thing as the police presence can be taken as glass half full or half empty. Given all the other efforts taken by local government to make tourists feel welcome and safe, we opted for glass half full. The great thing is that those who feel otherwise are not obligated to get off the ship. 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have to mirror others.  

I live in Los Angeles 🤣

Shootings can happen anywhere here 🙈🙈

• Like 1

This restricted area with a blue line and police reference does not make me feel this is a safe port...just the opposite.  Given it's reputation in fact, we don't travel there.  I know cruisers are protected if they stay within the port secure areas, but road travel/busses to excursions are vulnerable. As far as 150 mi. reference to shootings, I don't feel unsafe in my country.  I also don't feel I should not travel to the US, to Europe, to the Caribbean (but travel with caution).  Most likely I'll have posters comments re Caribbean robberies, etc and I agree I've read about that happening. But simply crossing  over the Mexican border recently, some were confused with drug carriers by the cartel, it's too big a chance.  Innocent people have 'disappeared';  even the hotels need major security.  We've cruised there many times in the past but not now.  Too bad, it's a beautiful country.  I wouldn't be surprised if some/most of the ports in future will be taken off the itineraries..  IMO. 

Edited by Oceangoer2

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have to mirror others.  

150 miles?  I live 30ish miles from Chicago and there are many neighborhoods there I would never set foot in!  I also live in one of the safest cities in the entire state, with the most churches per capita, middle to upper middle income.  Yet the week I moved into my house there was a shooting on the next block.  And a few years later another shooting in the apartments three blocks away.  It can happen anywhere.

Not to diminish the safety issues of many Mexican areas, but I never felt unsafe at all on our visit to Mazatlan last December.  I do think it's wise to stay within the tourist area (the famous blue line area), but if you do that you are probably more safe than many areas in the US or Canada.  They have lots of police because they know there are too many areas nearby that are not safe.  They commit to having a large police presence and many expat American tour guides so that people can be safe visiting. Would I take a tour out of that area?  Not likely, and that alone may limit future port stops.

I noticed a posting from someone from southern Canada I believe.  They are certainly welcome to their opinion and can make their own choices - no disrespect meant.  But I can remember sailing out of Vancouver a few years ago and visiting Gastown, just a short walk from the port area.  Made the mistake of walking just two blocks away and suddenly felt extremely unsafe - drug addicts, homeless people, laying around on filthy streets.  I felt way more unsafe there than I did on my trip to Mazatlan.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Funny you mention this. DH and I said this very thing as the police presence can be taken as glass half full or half empty. Given all the other efforts taken by local government to make tourists feel welcome and safe, we opted for glass half full. The great thing is that those who feel otherwise are not obligated to get off the ship. 

It’s hard to believe that a week ago today many of us was following your journey across the country to board the ship. I hope that you had a great cruise. It’s been fun reading about your experience this week. Safe travels home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I noticed a posting from someone from southern Canada I believe.  They are certainly welcome to their opinion and can make their own choices - no disrespect meant.  But I can remember sailing out of Vancouver a few years ago and visiting Gastown, just a short walk from the port area.  Made the mistake of walking just two blocks away and suddenly felt extremely unsafe - drug addicts, homeless people, laying around on filthy streets.  I felt way more unsafe there than I did on my trip to Mazatlan.  

Some truth in that re 'drug addicts, etc'....which I think is a condition in most big cities and yes, Vancouver seems to have the biggest Cdn. problem. However, being a free country and not a police state, these are the unfortunate;  I don't believe you should be afraid of being shot or kidnapped.  I've seen pics of the LA area and other major US cities re homelessness.  It's not isolated to the US and a sad testimony to the lack of welfare everywhere, that is if the folks really do want to work or kick their habit with the available assistance.  The point of this topic is safety in Mexican ports...crime, I think you'd agree, is more rampant in Mexico than most countries and the gov't seems unable to curtail it for a variety of reasons.  We could go into this deeper, but I choose not to.  Just don't want to travel to Mexico and leave other aspects of the  universe social/political/economic dilemma out of it.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

150 miles?  I live 30ish miles from Chicago and there are many neighborhoods there I would never set foot in!  I also live in one of the safest cities in the entire state, with the most churches per capita, middle to upper middle income.  Yet the week I moved into my house there was a shooting on the next block.  And a few years later another shooting in the apartments three blocks away.  It can happen anywhere.

Not to diminish the safety issues of many Mexican areas, but I never felt unsafe at all on our visit to Mazatlan last December.  I do think it's wise to stay within the tourist area (the famous blue line area), but if you do that you are probably more safe than many areas in the US or Canada.  They have lots of police because they know there are too many areas nearby that are not safe.  They commit to having a large police presence and many expat American tour guides so that people can be safe visiting. Would I take a tour out of that area?  Not likely, and that alone may limit future port stops.

I'm sorry you have to live under these unsafe conditions.

17 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

It’s hard to believe that a week ago today many of us was following your journey across the country to board the ship. I hope that you had a great cruise. It’s been fun reading about your experience this week. Safe travels home. 

Awe thank you. Was just reflecting on the same. Having one final drink (like we didn’t get enough) in Michaels Club before getting off the ship. I figure if the return trip home is anything like getting to LA, I’m going to need to start taking shots early on!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Not being offensive but I would also feel a lot safer if there were no Mexican Cartels -  But if there is an active Cartel that could be a thread I definitely want a police presence.

• Like 4

Guest CunucuMom

Wow, it seems like just yesterday @Georgia_Peaches had an army of friends and strangers sending best wishes throughout the white-knuckle journey to LA.  Glad you enjoyed a wonderful cruise and wish you and hubs safe travels home.  Thank you for sharing your adventures with us!

Final thoughts on Solstice Mexican Riviera

Woke up this morning with the debarkation blues.  Hard to believe that this time last week I wasn’t even sure we’d make the ship.  Not sure if I’ve romanticized nearly missing this cruise to the point of making it one of the very best we’ve ever taken, or if it was just one of the best cruises we’ve either taken.  I’m happy with either one and feel satisfied having gotten a cruise fix…

Wanted to sum up with some final thoughts on Solstice as it relates to some hot topics that that I followed up to our embarkation. 

I’ll start with the food…

This morning when I threw on my jeans, I noticed that my belt was one notch looser than it was a week ago.  That’s a good sign!  I wanted to pay close attention to whether or not food was better, worse or the same as it was on our last sailing in 2019.  And we all know food likes and dislikes are subjective so I will focus this on the quality of the offerings.  We didn’t have many meals in Luminae but the ones we did also included items from the MDR menu.  Both MDR and Luminae offered dishes I had not seen before and were perhaps an interesting twist on new ingredients that are either easier to acquire than others, or in some cases more cost effective for Celebrity.  Either way, the food was good and most times, great!

Tuscan was OK.  And for me it’s always been just OK.  Nothing really wowed me but there wasn’t anything that I would call out as being terrible.  On one night DH ordered the Bronzino and on another he ordered the trout.  Both dishes looked pretty much the same if I had no real way of knowing if they were really different fish or the same.  One night DH ordered the dry-aged porterhouse for an $18 upcharge.  He said is was good but he wouldn’t feel compelled to order it again.  For me, the cuts of meat (9 oz filet) was tender and tasty if not slightly more done than I would have liked.

Murano was just the same as we remembered with the exception of no longer having a cheese cart.  You can still get an assortment of cheese but it’s no longer presented in a cart.  Our last night was perhaps our best meal but I think it’s because we dined with some new friends we met as a result of this thread.  The company definitely enhanced the meal to perfection.  My dessert was the best one of the entire trip!  A sort of chocolate mosses cake that I off-handedly ordered because I didn’t really know what I wanted.  Highly recommend if you go to Murano.

Sushi on 5 was the most like I remembered from our previous cruise.  The seaweed salad is delicious and the sushi rolls were very fresh.  My only regret was that we didn’t get here more often.

We didn’t dine in the OVC but we did make a point to try a burger from the Mast grill.  We did this to put Jim Zimm’s youtube video review of Celebrity’s burger to the test.  His opinion is that Celebrity can’t make a good burger.  We ordered a burger with onions and cheese.  It was hot and smelled good too.  It tasted like a burger with onions and cheese.  I had no complaints.  Wasn’t the best or worst burger I’ve ever had but I think that despite Jim sailing in a suite, he must not have tried the Luminae signature burger, as it was excellent!  Perfectly cooked and so juicy, it was one of my favorite lunches of the trip.

We didn’t eat many desserts (on purpose) but did make a point to have gelato on most afternoons…hence needing to loosen my belt.  The gelato was very tasty and offered a nice variety of flavors.  My favorites were the rum raisin and the pasticcio.

421EB6EB-0745-4776-856F-DAFAC4DBE286.jpeg

2385760E-7CB3-4A4F-BF85-077174DC2322.jpeg

3B3028E5-610A-46A6-BDA0-D2D7ACE31375.jpeg

59330345-81DF-450E-A245-6A518024152F.jpeg

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1