CoCo Cay Jellyfish

Read messages board postings and now have started seeing YouTube videos about the large number of (large) jellyfish at Coco Cay. How bad has it been? What months have been worse then others? Which beaches are more problematic than other spots? Anyone have luck using safe sea? Or rash guard clothing?

I’m sad to say that I used safe sea on my last cruise and it did not prevent me getting stung by whatever stray stinging strands that were floating around in the water, even though no visible jelly fish were around and no purple flag flying. My husband and son were perfectly fine, but I swear, they find me whatever ocean I’m in! I wish for a solution, too! 

• Thanks 1

https://magazine.keycaribe.com/travel/are-there-jellyfish-in-the-caribbean/

Jellyfish season

Jellyfish are slightly more common in Caribbean waters during the warmer months. This is because the trade winds direct them toward the islands from March to June. In addition, these creatures prefer warmer waters. By the end of November, very few of them are left, thanks to cooler water temperatures.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

Read messages board postings and now have started seeing YouTube videos about the large number of (large) jellyfish at Coco Cay. How bad has it been? What months have been worse then others? Which beaches are more problematic than other spots? Anyone have luck using safe sea? Or rash guard clothing?

We were at Coco Cay in December and didn't see any.

We spent our time at Chill Island. 

Rash guards are usually shirts, and I thought people usually suffered jelly fish stings on the feet or legs -- so I don't see how that'd help.  

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Whatever you do, if you're stung....DON'T PEE ON IT!  That's a myth.  The First Aide shack has a remedy for you.

Anything we could bring to be prepared?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We were at Coco Cay in December and didn't see any.

We spent our time at Chill Island. 

Rash guards are usually shirts, and I thought people usually suffered jelly fish stings on the feet or legs -- so I don't see how that'd help.  

Anything we could bring to be prepared?

They make rash guard shirts and pants. People get stung anywhere. Just as much from the waist up. I always have shirt (long sleeve rash guard) and water shoes. Just purchased rash guard water pants (kick boxing type tights). And $60 worth of safe sea. Thin cloth but my research says rash guard clothing improves your odds by 75%. Most stingers are very small and don't go through clothing. Not all, but says improves odds. Only a wetsuit is 100%. But rash guard shirts and pants are only like $20 on Amazon. So I'll take the extra help/protection. Not investing in a wetsuit, but clothing can't hurt. Also cuts down on sunburn, skin cancer, and amount of sunscreen used. 

You were lucky Dec to March is colder water. Less likely to be a big problem. I'm looking at end of May. 

Oh they also sell a small bottle of spray (similar to that at first aid). You can spray some right on the beach, before walking over to first aid. Can't remember but think it has to do with vinegar? Urine is ammonia?

Does vinegar cure jellyfish stings?

Vinegar is used to stop the venom in stingers. Caution: Do not use ammonia, urine, rubbing alcohol, fresh water or ice. They all can trigger the release of more venom. If you don't have vinegar, move on to scraping off the stingers.Dec 30, 2022

We learned this in dive school....
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ship2Shore said:

We were there in October. As we stood in thigh-deep water, a 3 foot shark swam past us.  Honestly, that took our minds off the jelly fish 🤣

It won’t for me.. and those are nursing sharks, they won’t bite.

I absolutely hate jellyfish… and not because they sting. Just cannot stand them. Even the smallest ones. 

And I LOVE snorkeling

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Are these jellyfish, or the Portuguese Man-o-War?  

Portuguese Man-of-War | National Geographic

The Portuguese Man o’ War, (Physalia physalis) is often called a jellyfish, but is actually a species of siphonophore, a group of animals that are closely related to jellyfish.

• Like 1

We were there the first week in September. It stormed early in the morning but was just clearing when we disembarked.  The storm seemed to push every jellyfish in the Caribbean toward Coco Cay.  We sat the edge of our cabana and lost count of how many floated by. It was almost a blanket of jelly fish up against the edge of the cabana. However, we swam and used the slide with no problems. By later in the day it started clearing out.  The resident shark swam past a couple of times as did the local rays. It was great fun to see.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can give you all a solution that we used when swimming in the Great South Bay (Long Island, NY) when we were kids, but I doubt very few would use it.

It involves two pairs of tights, a one piece bathing suit (or swim shorts and tee shirt for a man) and petroleum jelly.

Wear one pair of tights under your bathing suit as intended.

Take the second pair of tights, cut a hole in the crotch large enough for your head. Wear that pair upside down with your arms in the legs and pulling the waist don to be under your swim wear top.  You can cut partially through the foot area to make attached mittens.  

Anywhere else that is exposed, coat with a thick layer of petroleum jelly.  Don't forget under the slit at the wrist if the foot has been cut.

This will work. Yes, one may look ridiculous, but when everyone else is dressed the same, what does it matter?

Hint: do not lie or sit in the sand after applying the petroleum jelly.

• Thanks 1

Idk, but I was stung across the face and on the lip. 

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I can give you all a solution that we used when swimming in the Great South Bay (Long Island, NY) when we were kids, but I doubt very few would use it.

It involves two pairs of tights, a one piece bathing suit (or swim shorts and tee shirt for a man) and petroleum jelly.

Wear one pair of tights under your bathing suit as intended.

Take the second pair of tights, cut a hole in the crotch large enough for your head. Wear that pair upside down with your arms in the legs and pulling the waist don to be under your swim wear top.  You can cut partially through the foot area to make attached mittens.  

Anywhere else that is exposed, coat with a thick layer of petroleum jelly.  Don't forget under the slit at the wrist if the foot has been cut.

This will work. Yes, one may look ridiculous, but when everyone else is dressed the same, what does it matter?

Hint: do not lie or sit in the sand after applying the petroleum jelly.

• Thanks 1

We saw a lot of these little fellas in December, along the Beach Club surf.  We Googled them at the time, and they are a species of stinging jellyfish.  I don't remember the species name.  They mostly sat on the sand just a few feeti into the water.  They didn't move around very much so their presence didn't prevent me from swimming, but there were quite a few and it was during cooler waters in December.

IMG_6917.JPG

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG

• Thanks 1