Apex March 2023 Dinner Buffet Video Update

Cap_D

Fellow Cruise Critics, and especially all the folks from the mega thread(s) of a few weeks ago.....here's a video update showing far more options as compared to roughly 7 weeks ago.  h/t to "The Traveling Gamblers."   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

55 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

How anyone would like that for dinner on an expensive "luxury" holiday escapes me, but each to their own.

The fact that someone else shopped, prepped, cooked and cleaned up afterward is enough for me.  Food is very subjective.  A good meal is in the eyes of the beholder.  

• Like 15

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

How anyone would like that for dinner on an expensive "luxury" holiday escapes me, but each to their own.

Not sure many people would consider X a luxury holiday unless you are in the Retreat.  We will be in the Retreat next week and will swing by, grab a pizza to go and let you know how it looks to us.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, islabahia said:

Not sure many people would consider X a luxury holiday unless you are in the Retreat.  We will be in the Retreat next week and will swing by, grab a pizza to go and let you know how it looks to us.

Not sure how anyone would not consider being on one of Celebrity ships, not "luxury".

We have stayed at some of the finest hotels and resorts in the world and Celebrity tops them all.

For my longer cruises, we take a Celebrity Suite or a Sky Suite but I have enjoyed the lesser cabins just as well on shorter trips.

• Like 3

@Cap_D thank you so much both for the original report and this updated report.  Great job.  Your original post and the resulting feedback hopefully helped Celebrity to understand the unhappiness with their Jan 1 dinner OVC changes.  We sailed EQ Jan 21 and it was pizza and pasta only.  If these improvements you show on APEX become fleet-wide, I for one would be very happy.  I rarely go to the OVC for dinner but for the selections you now show I could definitely find something to eat for sure.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Al perhaps you are missing the point?  A lot of folks for various reasons occasionally have dinner in the OVC.  So @Cap_D was documenting the improvements over what it was earlier in the year.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Thank you, I have no idea why people are complaining of the dinner buffet cut backs when I think this is a lot more and better than what is served in the MDR and Blu!

From your other posts it seems that you have yet to experience Blu.  I think you should hold your opinion until you actually experience the venue and food.

I have complained about the cut backs as I have experienced all the dining venues on Celebrity and have been onboard for 21 days so far in 2023 and have experienced them first hand.  

I guess I felt I had to explain why I have made complaints about the cut backs and I'm also glad to see some adjustments being made.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 11:21 PM, Cap_D said:

Fellow Cruise Critics, and especially all the folks from the mega thread(s) of a few weeks ago.....here's a video update showing far more options as compared to roughly 7 weeks ago.  h/t to "The Traveling Gamblers."   

DW and I watched your video and liked it, although we always eat dinner in the MDR.  We only eat in the buffet on port days.

Edited by Tom47

On 3/4/2023 at 3:21 AM, BigAl94 said:

There are times where DW and I have spent all day on a strenuous shore excursion.  When we arrive on board we simply want a shower, a glass of wine and an easy FAST dinner.  Not interested in anything luxury that evening, but rather some food for dinner.

FWIW, Celebrity in a veranda cabin is neither expensive or luxury compared to a 4star hotel with 3 meals a day IMO.

• Like 4

On 3/4/2023 at 5:19 AM, baggal said:

The fact that someone else shopped, prepped, cooked and cleaned up afterward is enough for me.  Food is very subjective.  A good meal is in the eyes of the beholder.  

I’m with you!  We have a 12 nighter on Summit in August plus 4 nights in NYC pre-cruise to visit our daughter and 6 nights in Reykjavík post-cruise and my first thought is no dishes for three weeks.  What could be better?  I think we’ll find plenty of good food to eat along the way. 

• Like 5

Because we are boarding our first Celebrity cruise next month, we (mostly I) have been poring over videos on the Apex, including eating choices. While we have several nights booked in specialty restaurants, we have to be mindful of the amounts of food we are consuming. We were especially pleased to see some of the options in the Oceanview Café. This gives us some healthier choices as well as portion control. Sometimes a quick meal is all we want, and this fits the bill.

2 hours ago, LarryL said:

Because we are boarding our first Celebrity cruise next month, we (mostly I) have been poring over videos on the Apex, including eating choices. While we have several nights booked in specialty restaurants, we have to be mindful of the amounts of food we are consuming. We were especially pleased to see some of the options in the Oceanview Café. This gives us some healthier choices as well as portion control. Sometimes a quick meal is all we want, and this fits the bill.

We will be on the Apex next week for our third time.  The food all around the ship was very good.  We especially enjoyed the grill, Eden and the steak house- not sushi fans- enjoyed /Le Petite chef, clever to experience once and the food was good.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. When out on excursions all day long, I sometimes much prefer to eat a quick meal from the buffet and head to the spa or the jacuzzi later on than having to sit for hours at a sit down meal waiting for courses to come out. I like to have the option of both available. Delighted to see that they've added to the buffet area from what it was a few months ago! 

On 3/6/2023 at 11:25 AM, LarryL said:

Don't agree.  Most people- hopefully not you, over eat at buffets.  Also unless you are very careful , much of the food has hidden butter and other dishes that can add calories.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Don't agree.  Most people- hopefully not you, over eat at buffets.  Also unless you are very careful , much of the food has hidden butter and other dishes that can add calories.  Good luck!

Your point is taken on the tendency to overeat at the buffet. As one who cooks for a type 2 diabetic, I am well aware of what is in food, as well as portion control.  As far as dining at buffets, this one appears to have better choices than most which is encouraging, There are other options we can explore as well, such as the Eden and Spa Cafés, that will likely provide a healthier selection.