Will there be corned beef and cabbage?

Staci0615

Even if they do, the food quality has diminished so much, you might want to rethink your dinner choice…ethnic specialties don’t seem to translate well in Princess  kitchens…ie turkey with avocado stuffing😂

36 minutes ago, david63 said:

Never heard of corned beef and cabbage being associated with Ireland - must be an American invention.

We do that every year, corned beef and cabbage (potatoes/carrots) soda bread.

Think my Irish ancestors were Americanized! 😆

On the ship, Irish stew and the pub lunch

is as close as we got to that.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Never heard of corned beef and cabbage being associated with Ireland - must be an American invention.

It is! 

I think the Irish eat stew or lamb.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We do that every year, corned beef and cabbage (potatoes/carrots) soda bread.

Think my Irish ancestors were Americanized! 😆

On the ship, Irish stew and the pub lunch

is as close as we got to that.

PacNGo, I agree. Every year on St Patty’s Day I make corned beef (or smoked pork butt), boiled potatoes, cabbage with lots of butter, a little salt and pepper…plus some Irish soda bread which all the local supermarkets sell. I do believe it is an Irish-American dish. Plus as a special treat for my family and neighbors I make “Irish Potatoes” which are candies made out of coconut, cream cheese, powdered sugar and cinnamon. They are delicious!

• Like 2

Bacon and cabbage is the traditional Irish dish not corned beef and cabbage.

Also heads up Patty's Day is an American thing which most Irish people take offence to,  a lot of Irish people informally refer to St. Patrick's Day as Paddy's Day. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Corned Beef and Cabbage is most definitely a US "invention".  In Ireland Colcannon is the traditional dish for St. Patrick's Day.

Another thing most folks in the US tend not to know is that the traditional color associated with St. Patrick is blue - not green.

• Like 3

Just to add... I absolutely LOVE Corned Beef but you can keep the cabbage. I don't care for it at all and it definitely gives my wife flatulence. (D'Oh! I can get away with saying that because we have been married for 50 years - and she doesn't read these forums. 🤪)

• Haha 3

.... I don't care for it at all and it definitely gives my wife flatulence. (D'Oh! I can get away with saying that because we have been married for 50 years - and she doesn't read these forums. 🤪)

allrighty then 

Slide Away Seth Meyers GIF - Slide Away Seth Meyers Late Night With Seth  Meyers - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just to add... I absolutely LOVE Corned Beef but you can keep the cabbage. I don't care for it at all and it definitely gives my wife flatulence. (D'Oh! I can get away with saying that because we have been married for 50 years - and she doesn't read these forums. 🤪)

The flatulence means the cabbage is working.

That said, corned beef and cabbage is the American way of recognizing St. Patrick's day.  Along with getting plastered and behaving terribly.  I'm all for good corned beef and a nice, sweet, head of cabbage, cooked properly and seasoned right, but I'm not much for getting plastered and behaving badly.

If I saw a properly described version of corned beef and cabbage on board, I'd certainly try it.  Best corned beef I've ever had was prepared in the Instant Pot.  Wonderful flavor, melt in your mouth tender.  The only way to prepare it.

• Haha 1

Thank you for all the commentary and history lessons.  I was just asking because it is my American tradition and we will be on the discovery over the holiday.  This is my first princess cruise so I dont know what to expect.

It’s a bit like asking if a ship will serve Figgy Pudding for the xmas cruise holiday.   I mean you may ask that they bring you a figgy pudding.   But no one but the chef can really know what the menu will be until the sun rises on that day.  

3 hours ago, Staci0615 said:

Thank you for all the commentary and history lessons.  I was just asking because it is my American tradition and we will be on the discovery over the holiday.  This is my first princess cruise so I dont know what to expect.

To the best of my recollection an Irish inspired menu has been offered on St. Patrick's Day. I also seem to remember that the Pub Lunch was held on that day.

By the way, you will never get a simple answer to a simple question on the Princess board, there are those that must comment on everything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

But no one but the chef can really know what the menu will be until the sun rises on that day.  

I thought that menus were planned weeks in advance - if left until the day it would be somewhat difficult to nip to the supermarket to get provisions when at sea!!

29 minutes ago, david63 said:

I thought that menus were planned weeks in advance - if left until the day it would be somewhat difficult to nip to the supermarket to get provisions when at sea!!

Ask any chef on any ship what day final decisions are made on any particular day’s menu.  Give him your theory about “weeks in advance”.   Then watch his eyes carefully.  

On the basis that menus are printed days in advance and that all food is at least ordered well in advance - on most cruises all food is loaded at the start of the cruise, there is not much scope for the chef to be inventive.

What is more all menus are created by Carnival's operations department that is shore based.

The only time I have had a menu created on the day is when it was a dinner created by a celebrity chef and he went into the stores to find what he wanted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

It’s a bit like asking if a ship will serve Figgy Pudding for the xmas cruise holiday.   I mean you may ask that they bring you a figgy pudding.   But no one but the chef can really know what the menu will be until the sun rises on that day.  

Having sailed many Christmas's at sea, they do serve English Christmas Pudding and a Spiced Christmas pudding for lunch.

This has been consistent on my Christmas sailings.

Edited by Coral