drinks package - wowzers

Drinks package has just become available for our cruise in Caribbean next year at £81.86 pp per day - nearly $100 and they state thats a 20% discount - seems insane!... anyone know the USD normal for pre-cruise package? i wonder if we are getting stiffed on exchange rate/20% VAT or something or if this is what our UA friends pay also.

I realise to keep an eye on discounts  but it really is quite eye watering as it will amoun to 2260 GBP for our B2b Cruises - $2700!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There are multiple recent threads about the high prices. The americans are also complaining. 

cheers, may need to rethink as could get a cruise for this haha

• Haha 1

Drink packages aren't worth it for everyone. Even at current prices of $77.89 a day, which is 20% off from the regular price of $98, it would cost me $545 for a drink package for our upcoming 7-day cruise. There's no way I'll drink $545 worth of beverages in 7 days. I'll have 1-2 a day at most, 3 if I'm wild and crazy. I'm opting to buy as I go. 

• Like 4

As long as people keep buying the drinks package they will keep raising the price.  I get the buy it now and cancel/rebook if it goes lower but that's just giving them reasons to keep it high.

Do wish those that get the "free" loyalty drinks, diamond and up, could opt out of those and get an additional discount on the packages.  Makes it even crazier to buy the way it is.

• Like 3

Can I check anyone who has been onboard is the price of package inclusive of tips?  I.e. if I stick to drinks within the package there’s no additional charge?

on the menus if I buy per drink do I need to consider the gratuity?  So a drink listed at $10 I have to remember a tip of $1.80 will be added?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seb530 said:

Drinks package has just become available for our cruise in Caribbean next year at £81.86 pp per day - nearly $100 and they state thats a 20% discount - seems insane!... anyone know the USD normal for pre-cruise package? i wonder if we are getting stiffed on exchange rate/20% VAT or something or if this is what our UA friends pay also.

I realise to keep an eye on discounts  but it really is quite eye watering as it will amoun to 2260 GBP for our B2b Cruises - $2700!

If you booked via the UK (or an EU?) RCI website there is often a promotion sometime Nov/Dec/Jan that has the drinks package at 45-55£/Euros (can't remember exact prices from the last time). I don't think you can book it through the Cruise Planner but have to call. Obviously there is no guarantee this will happen again but I have seen it for the last couple of years including this past holiday season. From memory the promotion lasted at least a month. 

1 hour ago, DiWilliams said:

If you booked via the UK (or an EU?) RCI website there is often a promotion sometime Nov/Dec/Jan that has the drinks package at 45-55£/Euros (can't remember exact prices from the last time). I don't think you can book it through the Cruise Planner but have to call. Obviously there is no guarantee this will happen again but I have seen it for the last couple of years including this past holiday season. From memory the promotion lasted at least a month. 

I have booked mine through cruise planner on Anthem and have been charged for it and the money has come out of my account so they can whistle if they think I am paying double the amount when I get onboard. I will take the email and my bank statement to show payment

13 hours ago, sailor05 said:

FYI-Norwegian offers the package with their cruises.

You are still paying a hefty tax and gratuity on this though, yet still cheaper than buying it outright. NCL fails because they say it's FREE, yet most people don't realize the additional gratitudes that get added automatically, so technically it is not free like they say. More like a reduced rate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cayman1 said:

You are still paying a hefty tax and gratuity on this though, yet still cheaper than buying it outright. NCL fails because they say it's FREE, yet most people don't realize the additional gratitudes that get added automatically, so technically it is not free like they say. More like a reduced rate.

With NCL you have to book a higher class of cabin to get the FREE stuff which you still have to pay the gratuity on. There lowest rates don't include the free stuff but are exactly the same cabins. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

With NCL you have to book a higher class of cabin to get the FREE stuff which you still have to pay the gratuity on. There lowest rates don't include the free stuff but are exactly the same cabins. 

Good point. The Sail Away balconies do not include the "extras", only the more expensive balconies. Not sure about the other classes of rooms, as we only look at balconies.

Thanks.

Drinks packages are expensive!  I generally don't buy drinks on board.  I did buy 2 drinks last cruise (one for me, one for my daughter) because I wanted a cold/icy concoction after doing some energetic dance class.

RC adds an 18% tip to the drink price.

Edited by moposh

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Does the price quoted in the Planner for the Deluxe Beverage Package include the 18% for gratuities, or do you pay an extra 18% of the package price at the time of purchase?

Once you add it to your cart the total there includes gratuities.

• Thanks 1

As a non-drinker I almost always get the Refreshment Package bc I do enjoy plenty of soda and 2/3 mocktails a day.  I was holding off buying it because it's always been $29.99 (10% off) in the planner while most other packages where 20% off - so I was holding off for 20%.  Well that was dumb bc they just increased the price and now it's $33.99 (with 10% discount).  I should have just bought it and then canceled and rebooked if I saw it at a lower price.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I have booked mine through cruise planner on Anthem and have been charged for it and the money has come out of my account so they can whistle if they think I am paying double the amount when I get onboard. I will take the email and my bank statement to show payment

Who said anywhere that you will be asked for more money? You have bought a package and that is it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiWilliams said:

The last UK promo was £60pd but it ended at the end of February.  It was only for European sailings so it wouldn't have helped the OP.  This one was bookable via the Planner, unlike the one prior which was £40.  I think it is £78pd now. Outrageous.

Edited by little britain

Everything on Royal is more expensive and MUCH worse than it used to be. 

Speciality restaurants couldnt cook a medium fillet steak. Also no staff and 80% empty tables on wonder in speciality. 

Drinks packages are a rip off. Drinks prices are a rip off too. Service is pretty bad never see a waiter walking around. Cruise prices are sky high and they would rather sail empty than discount. Wonder had entire blocks of cabins empty at back of the ship in October med cruise. 

I just got back from a P&O cruise which was so cheap i couldnt believe the price. 40 quid a day drinks package but limited to 15 alcoholic ones at 7 quid max spend. Peroni was 5.25 a pint cocktails 6.95 GBP. Best bit was that i NEVER went to the bar as a waiter fetched every drink for me and best bit NO STUPID 18% TIPS!  How amazing that the staff are paid a salary by the company and not the customer directly! Contrary to my last 5 Royal cruises where i mostly found myself stuck in a queue for a drink and then had to pay 18% for someone to pass me a bottle from the fridge. 

Royal is basically chasing profits by increasing prices and providing less which is short termism and will ultimately damage the brand longer term. Had i now not got free diamond drinks and 40% off bottles of wine i dont think id even sail royal any more. No way am i paying 100 GBP per day for drinks package which a few years ago was as low as 27GBP per day for beers, wines and spirits. Even at 50 GBP i dont think ill be paying it any more. Royal has simply put me off the whole drinks package thing now. 

Upside is that ill spend 1400-2000 GBP per couple for a 2 week cruise and i wont gain like 5kg in weight. Thanks Royal for opening my eyes and keeping me slim. Your greed has both made me richer and slimmer! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

Everything on Royal is more expensive and MUCH worse than it used to be. 

Speciality restaurants couldnt cook a medium fillet steak. Also no staff and 80% empty tables on wonder in speciality. 

Drinks packages are a rip off. Drinks prices are a rip off too. Service is pretty bad never see a waiter walking around. Cruise prices are sky high and they would rather sail empty than discount. Wonder had entire blocks of cabins empty at back of the ship in October med cruise. 

I just got back from a P&O cruise which was so cheap i couldnt believe the price. 40 quid a day drinks package but limited to 15 alcoholic ones at 7 quid max spend. Peroni was 5.25 a pint cocktails 6.95 GBP. Best bit was that i NEVER went to the bar as a waiter fetched every drink for me and best bit NO STUPID 18% TIPS!  How amazing that the staff are paid a salary by the company and not the customer directly! Contrary to my last 5 Royal cruises where i mostly found myself stuck in a queue for a drink and then had to pay 18% for someone to pass me a bottle from the fridge. 

Royal is basically chasing profits by increasing prices and providing less which is short termism and will ultimately damage the brand longer term. Had i now not got free diamond drinks and 40% off bottles of wine i dont think id even sail royal any more. No way am i paying 100 GBP per day for drinks package which a few years ago was as low as 27GBP per day for beers, wines and spirits. Even at 50 GBP i dont think ill be paying it any more. Royal has simply put me off the whole drinks package thing now. 

Upside is that ill spend 1400-2000 GBP per couple for a 2 week cruise and i wont gain like 5kg in weight. Thanks Royal for opening my eyes and keeping me slim. Your greed has both made me richer and slimmer! 

yes we normally do P&O and the difference for drinks (both single and package) is staggering at the moment.  I dont think they bother about the 15 drink limit on p&o providing you are not showing too much signs of being the worse for wear.  I definitely cant see us shelling out £85 per person per day for drinks and , ill be honest, its making me reconsider RCL at the moment  as we have already spent more than i would expect even for an inside. We wanted to try the biggest ship but some of the other lines arent too much smaller so will need to have a think at this £££age  We really want to try RCL but everything has a price.
WHat i dont also get is it looks like we are being charged 1:1 USD:GBP from other comments when the rate is 1.2 USD per 1GBP - id like to pay in USD please!.

From other posts the gratuity is prepaid in the drinks package - im hoping that is the case but then it does make otehr drinks very expensive. Ive seen beet at $8.50 which makes it $10 after tips  which is £8.30 in GBP - I've never paid that for a pint in my life 😉

Edited by seb530

Current drinks package price on RCI is £58.46 per day which reflects buy one get 2nd at 50% off.

I won’t be buying as a)I’m travelling solo and b) with my diamond vouchers I just buy a couple more drinks if I want them. As I’m on a 14 day cruise in October  I certainly won’t be paying for a package.

Have a P&O cruise in June, get 7.5% discount on anything I buy and the drinks are great prices anyway.

14 minutes ago, seb530 said:

From other posts the gratuity is prepaid in the drinks package - im hoping that is the case

After receiving the response from @Denversail in post #18 above, I went to my planner. Sure enough, when you go to order the package, they add on the 18% for gratuities. In our case, that brings the total for an 8-day cruise to $2159.20 CAD for the two of us. So in a manner of speaking, the gratuities are prepaid, but not until you plunk down an additional 18% of the listed package price.

By way of comparison, on our last Royal cruise, we paid a grand total of $1067.30 CAD for both the Deluxe Package and Voom One Device.