make the DBP payment less painful by spreading it out

So Im thinking of buying the refreshment package now, and the DBP later(while cancelling the refreshment package) as a way to lessen the blow of paying for it all at once(~1100 for our cruise).   Not that I don't have the money, I just hate laying it all out at once.  Some of you may say I'm being stupid(just save the money, or does it really matter, etc..). Is there any issue with this plan.  I know I won't get the refund right away, but I figure it'll be close enough.

Dan

The only issue I see is if the price ends up being higher for the DBP later.  Not only do you have to worry about a similar "sale" taking place later, you also have to worry about RCCL doing a base price increase between now and then.  

• Like 3

Also, here is a work around I accidently found for price changes.  If you put the DBP in the cart for the price that you like, it will stay that price even if the price changes on the website. 

For my cruise this past summer, RCCL did a big price increase on the base price of the package.  I thought I just cost my self an extra $250 but it was locked into the price I had in the cart waiting.  

They may have closed the loophole but its worth a shot.  

• Like 2

I wish you could elect it when booking a cruise and adding it to the total fare, but I understand and instead just put it on a rewards card to lesson the blow.  I still check for price drops too all around but for the longer cruises with 2 people it's a chunk of money - heck even for the shorter ones.  

42 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Also, here is a work around I accidently found for price changes.  If you put the DBP in the cart for the price that you like, it will stay that price even if the price changes on the website. 

For my cruise this past summer, RCCL did a big price increase on the base price of the package.  I thought I just cost my self an extra $250 but it was locked into the price I had in the cart waiting.  

You were fortunate, this is not how it normally works. 

• Like 4

Buy it in full now... Watch for sales

When Price matching, never look at the name of the sale, the $$ off or the %% off, only look at the bottom line price before you cancel and repurchase it...
Some people have looked at the sale name, $$ off, or %% off canceled and repurchased it at a higher bottom line price!!

Your way of thinking is fine but you may end up paying more in the end... That wouldn't be worth it for me 

• Thanks 1

The only thing I see with this plan is you will be tying up the price of both packages for short period of time.  You would be actually canceling the Refreshment Package when you book the DBP.  It will take at least a few days for the cost of the refreshment package to be refunded to the card so, for a few days the cost of both packages will be on your card.  

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, danoconnl said:

So Im thinking of buying the refreshment package now, and the DBP later(while cancelling the refreshment package) as a way to lessen the blow of paying for it all at once(~1100 for our cruise).   Not that I don't have the money, I just hate laying it all out at once.  Some of you may say I'm being stupid(just save the money, or does it really matter, etc..). Is there any issue with this plan.  I know I won't get the refund right away, but I figure it'll be close enough.

Dan

Sorry if I am a little slow on the uptake here but what is the DBP?  Thanks!!

The package will be BOGO 50% off on embarkation day. Why not just put some money in an envelope each week until you board, go add the cash to your account at guest services, then hit a bar and buy the discounted package? If you see it go for 30% off on the planner before embarkation, then I would just buy it. You're going to pay all at once when you book the DBP regardless of whether you have also purchased the refreshment package. 

17 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

The package will be BOGO 50% off on embarkation day. Why not just put some money in an envelope each week until you board, go add the cash to your account at guest services, then hit a bar and buy the discounted package? If you see it go for 30% off on the planner before embarkation, then I would just buy it. You're going to pay all at once when you book the DBP regardless of whether you have also purchased the refreshment package. 

Haven't crunched the math but you're probably better off buying when 30% off pre cruise.  Prices on embarkation day are usually higher than the pre-cruise prices before 30%.  Plus in port you'll pay state taxes. And can't recall if tips are included in the BOGO50.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

Mine is currently at BOGO for our October cruise, I'm still hoping it goes lower than $75.99 but I have it locked in for now!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Haven't crunched the math but you're probably better off buying when 30% off pre cruise.  Prices on embarkation day are usually higher than the pre-cruise prices before 30%.  Plus in port you'll pay state taxes. And can't recall if tips are included in the BOGO50.

Tips are added at checkout when purchasing online, but I had not thought of taxes. That's definitely worth considering! I would buy if the price drops to 30% off each, that's the best rate I ever see. 

59 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

Tips are added at checkout when purchasing online, but I had not thought of taxes. That's definitely worth considering! I would buy if the price drops to 30% off each, that's the best rate I ever see. 

Yep, BOGO 50% is only 25% off each, so I keep checking for 30%.  Right now 2 of my upcoming cruises have it at the BOGO 50%, the furthest one that is offering them only has it at 20%.

Of course the actual prices are $75.99/6 night Mariner October 23 (Regular Price $102pppd), $81.99/4 night Indy Feb 24 (Regular price $110 pppd), and $83.99/6 night Harmony Oct 24 (Regular price $105pppd)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

9 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

When looking to purchase the DDP or price matching, never look at the name of the sale, the $$ off, or the %% off, only look at the bottom line price before you cancel and repurchase it...
Some people have looked at the sale name, $$ off, or %% off canceled and repurchased it at a higher bottom line price!!

Also If you wait to buy it on the ship, you are buying it at the going rate that day... it might be listed as BoGo but it will most likely cost more than the prepurchased price

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icsys said:

The only way to make it less painful is to make the price far more reasonable!

The price is reasonable if you are drinking at or near the maximum drinks allowed.  Breakeven drinking just means you haven't saved any money but rather avoided the pain until the bill comes due after cruise end. Some will equate being able to have sodas and water and other non-alcoholic drinks as "freebies" but that's only "true" if drinking at or near the max on alcoholic drinks.

I wouldn't say you're being stupid to do this -- that's too strong a word -- but I don't really see any mathematical point in it.  You're not saving in the long run.  Seems like a mind game you're playing with yourself.  

As for buying ahead of time vs. buying on the ship, I'm pretty sure one of the truisms of cruising is that everything is more expensive once you've arrived.  Buy ahead of time.  

23 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Prices on embarkation day are usually higher than the pre-cruise prices before 30%.  Plus in port you'll pay state taxes. And can't recall if tips are included in the BOGO50.

Maybe its my cruises, but I haven't seen 30% off in years.  Best I have seen is BOGO50.  Assuming they never get to 30% in the cruise planner, since I just got to D+, I was going to use my 30% off once I got on board.  Are you saying that depending on my state of embarkation, I may have to also pay state sales taxes?  Is that based on the DBP before or after gratuity?  Would I then have to wait until we are in international waters to purchase it?  Do they charge sales taxes if I am purchasing the internet packages before we pull away from the docks?

On 3/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, Liljo22 said:

This was a fluke. My experience has been the opposite.

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

The price is reasonable if you are drinking at or near the maximum drinks allowed.  Breakeven drinking just means you haven't saved any money but rather avoided the pain until the bill comes due after cruise end. Some will equate being able to have sodas and water and other non-alcoholic drinks as "freebies" but that's only "true" if drinking at or near the max on alcoholic drinks.

There is no limit. Carnival has a 15-drink limit on alcohol, Royal does not. They may cut you off for a few hours or for the night if you are out of control or too drunk

54 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

There is no limit. Carnival has a 15-drink limit on alcohol, Royal does not. They may cut you off for a few hours or for the night if you are out of control or too drunk

Oh Thanks.  Since I'm probably under the table after 4-5 mixed (or 3 shooters or a six pack), DDP is out of my league.🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Oh Thanks.  Since I'm probably under the table after 4-5 mixed (or 3 shooters or a six pack), DDP is out of my league.🙃

It is wasted on me as well... I used to get the Refreshment Package and buy an alcoholic drink if I wanted one. Now that I get 5 drink vouchers a day... I may just buy my non-alcoholic drinks as I go🤣 😂🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I would be in a sitting but over the course the day… reading in a lounger and then evening around the ship I don’t find it hard to do 5-6 a day, along with water bottles and fresh oj in the morning, mainly I just love having it paid in advance on vacation!

• Like 1