Formal nights on TA?

JennJ99738

I am traveling on the April 16th TA/repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton and am getting very excited! First TA and longest cruise I've been on!  I understand there are 3 formal nights on this particular cruise.  Does anyone know when those formal nights are scheduled or how I can find that out?  I would like to schedule specialty dining around those nights.  

Thanks for the help!

Jennifer

These days smart casual is acceptable on formal nights, collared shirt and long pants. No need to wear jacket and tie, suit, tux etc, can if you wish.

Above all enjoy !,

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

These days smart casual is acceptable on formal nights, collared shirt and long pants. No need to wear jacket and tie, suit, tux etc, can if you wish.

Above all enjoy !,

I would like to schedule specialty dining around those nights.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Above all enjoy !,

The OP did not ask what they can wear on formal nights, they asked what nights were formal so they could plan specialty restaurants.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did a TA in November (opposite direction) and it was impossible to tell as it is not something they do every week like the Caribbean. And each TA has a different itinerary. You will find out on day 1. This was from our TA.

image.thumb.jpeg.f07e42d7c8c2d0b255ddaf03d432bd26.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The OP did not ask what they can wear on formal nights, they asked what nights were formal so they could plan specialty restaurants.  

No but since the OP seems to want to avoid those formal nights by going to a specially restaurant, NSWP provided the information, just in case they didn't know. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

No but since the OP seems to want to avoid those formal nights by going to a specially restaurant, NSWP provided the information, just in case they didn't know. 

“seems”?  How do you know what the OPs reasons were?  Perhaps we should just answer the question that’s asked and not guess what’s really on their mind.  Maybe the OP just didn’t want to get into another discussion about dress codes.  We should respect that.

Just now, Lady Arwen said:

“seems”?  How do you know what the OPs reasons were?  Perhaps we should just answer the question that’s asked and not guess what’s really on their mind.  Maybe the OP just didn’t want to get into another discussion about dress codes.  We should respect that.

Yes, seems, since some people don't want to dress up for the DR on formal nights (not that they have to) and go to Specialty restaurants to avoid the hassle.

And since they weren't specific, there's nothing wrong with a little extra information so they could be prepared.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, seems, since some people don't want to dress up for the DR on formal nights (not that they have to) and go to Specialty restaurants to avoid the hassle.

And since they weren't specific, there's nothing wrong with a little extra information so they could be prepared.

They were VERY specific.  Not everyone enjoys dress code threads as much as you do.  “Seems” as though you look for ways to initiate those discussions.  I’m done.  Enjoy your day.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

They were VERY specific.  Not everyone enjoys dress code threads as much as you do.  “Seems” as though you look for ways to initiate those discussions.  I’m done.  Enjoy your day.

I am not the one who brought up the subject of dress codes but you seemed to criticize the person that did. Enjoy your day. 

An observation from our sailing this itinerary that you might consider. You got a taste this morning if you are in Las Vegas. You lost an hour's sleep last night with the time change. That happens four times on a West-to-East TA. That's after a losing three hours on your Las Vegas-Florida flight. We didn't feel much like a nice dinner on the cruise, coming from LA. Constantly tired.

It must have been that many felt that way because Specialty Dining venues were available any night we walked by them. Suggest just being spontaneous in which nights you choose. You will know which dates are closer to sailing, in the Journey View part of the app.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

An observation from our sailing this itinerary that you might consider. You got a taste this morning if you are in Las Vegas. You lost an hour's sleep last night with the time change. That happens four times on a West-to-East TA. That's after a losing three hours on your Las Vegas-Florida flight. We didn't feel much like a nice dinner on the cruise, coming from LA. Constantly tired.

It must have been that many felt that way because Specialty Dining venues were available any night we walked by them. Suggest just being spontaneous in which nights you choose. You will know which dates are closer to sailing, in the Journey View part of the app.

Good information, thanks!

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I did a TA in November (opposite direction) and it was impossible to tell as it is not something they do every week like the Caribbean. And each TA has a different itinerary. You will find out on day 1. This was from our TA.

image.thumb.jpeg.f07e42d7c8c2d0b255ddaf03d432bd26.jpeg

We’re doing a TA and this is very helpful.  Thank you!

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone!  This has been an interesting discussion!  My question didn't have to do with dressing up. I go to the MDR on formal nights and save the specialty dining for regular nights because usually there's something different in the MDR on formal nights.  Nothing to do with the dress code. LOL. 

The schedule was extremely helpful but now I understand I might not know until I board.  The time change is also interesting.  I didn't think of that.  We might just wing it.  The reservations in the personalizer are pretty open for the Crown Grill but fairly booked up for the Italian restaurant except very early or very late. 

Again, thank you to everyone for the discussion! It was quite enjoyable!

Jennifer

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JennJ99738 said:

Thank you to everyone!  This has been an interesting discussion!  My question didn't have to do with dressing up. I go to the MDR on formal nights and save the specialty dining for regular nights because usually there's something different in the MDR on formal nights.  Nothing to do with the dress code. LOL. 

The schedule was extremely helpful but now I understand I might not know until I board.  The time change is also interesting.  I didn't think of that.  We might just wing it.  The reservations in the personalizer are pretty open for the Crown Grill but fairly booked up for the Italian restaurant except very early or very late. 

Jennifer

Thank you for getting back to us!  I hope you have an absolutely wonderful cruise.  We’re doing a TA in the fall and actually wondered the same thing as you for the same reason.  I guess we’ll also wait until we board.  I’m glad you weren’t put off by our discussion.  Sometimes threads go sideways on Cruise Critic, so just ignore it lol.  Please let us know how it works out for you….thanks again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JennJ99738 said:

Jennifer

If you do skip the DR on formal nights, you'll be missing out on  some of the better meals that Princess serves, but that's your choice. We prefer to go on nights when nothing is appealing. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If you do skip the DR on formal nights, you'll be missing out on  some of the better meals that Princess serves, but that's your choice. We prefer to go on nights when nothing is appealing. 

Why would you go to the DR “on nights when nothing is appealing”?

• Haha 1

We have done a west to east  TA when the time change was done at noon each day. 

That meant that the crew did not constantly lose an hour's sleep for five consecutive days. 

Much better for all concerned.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

We have done a west to east  TA when the time change was done at noon each day. 

That meant that the crew did not constantly lose an hour's sleep for five consecutive days. 

Much better for all concerned.

That makes more sense. Otherwise, I'd constantly miss breakfast due to sleeping in all morning.  Thanks for the info.  I hope that holds for our cruise. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Exactly what I was trying to get at.  There's usually something special in the MDR on formal nights so we leave the specialty dining for regular nights.  

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 8:28 AM, NSWP said:

Above all enjoy !,

I love it when a reply has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's question😂

• Like 4