Anyone enjoying the new menu selections?

16 minutes ago, allyfree said:

My theory is that's what they want you to do ... I'm sure they're trying to get rid of MDR completely and make people pay extra for specialty restaurants - with no intention of lowering the price to reflect the reduction in complimentary dining offered 🤨

Not a chance.  It's a cycle right now until RCG financial conditions improve, and inflation comes well under control. Remember, prior to the pandemic, just from experience the Oasis and Quantum classes MDR had tutti salad bar for breakfast and lunch which makes the present offerings in the WJ to shame.

Also. it wasn't too long ago when we took a 9 niter on Anthem to NE/Canada and on the night we left Bar Harbor, we were surprised with whole lobsters on the menu.  It was lobster day as we also got lobster lunch included in an excursion.😃

Edited by nelblu

14 minutes ago, allyfree said:

My theory is that's what they want you to do ... I'm sure they're trying to get rid of MDR completely and make people pay extra for specialty restaurants - with no intention of lowering the price to reflect the reduction in complimentary dining offered 🤨

there’s no way the specialty restaurants could handle all the guests. The WJ however could.

If they got rid of the MDR…..what would become of that no longer used  space?

Just now, lovesthebeach2 said:

there’s no way the specialty restaurants could handle all the guests. The WJ however could.

If they got rid of the MDR…..what would become of that no longer used  space?

The WJ can barely handle the hordes for breakfast and lunch.  Go back to some of the threads and the many complaints with the inability for Paxs getting tables during these times.

• Thanks 1

We like to sail on Celebrity as well as Royal.  Our last cruise on Royal was in early March on Jewel, we thought the new menus were ok, some dishes were pretty good, a few were meh but over all, ok.  We had great service. 

HOWEVER, we just finished a cruise on Celebrity Apex and the food, for the most part, was amazing!  I have always said the food is pretty similar between the two cruise lines so I quite surprised to have such a difference, especially with the complaining recently on the Celebrity boards😂.  It made the food on Jewel look like Golden Corral.

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it's in my signature - just click on Oasis. 🙂

I hate to appear so ignorant, but I don't see a 'signature'.  If I click your name on the side it doesn't bring up anything called 'Oasis' either.  Help!

25 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

I hate to appear so ignorant, but I don't see a 'signature'.  If I click your name on the side it doesn't bring up anything called 'Oasis' either.  Help!

Can’t see it on my phone either.

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

We like to sail on Celebrity as well as Royal.  Our last cruise on Royal was in early March on Jewel, we thought the new menus were ok, some dishes were pretty good, a few were meh but over all, ok.  We had great service. 

HOWEVER, we just finished a cruise on Celebrity Apex and the food, for the most part, was amazing!  I have always said the food is pretty similar between the two cruise lines so I quite surprised to have such a difference, especially with the complaining recently on the Celebrity boards😂.  It made the food on Jewel look like Golden Corral.

Sherri🙂

Celebrity is premium massmarket.

My first cruise (2003) was on Celebrity Century. Food was amazing! I tried to get my DH on board and booked Mediterranean cruise on Splendor of the Seas for 2004, knowing that even if he hated a cruise he would love ports. Cruise was wonderful and DH got addicted, but food... It was really a shame. Breakfasts in WJ did not even feature homefries, only hash brown. All vegetables for dinners looked like canned food. Splendor of the Seas had design of MDR that would make you forget about food (huge 2 story windows) especially during sailaways  ...

All cruises withX had better food. I love Edge class concept of restaurants. It is somewhat like Dynamic Dining RCI used to have in 2016 on Anthem with different cuisine in each of 4 restaurants. However my friend just sailed recently on Millennium from Puerto Rico and she said they were really surprised with conditions of buffet... During evenings it barely featured any food. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

Reduction in tipping will not impact their bottom line one dime. I will only impact the hard working people who are trying to do thier best for our trip. If you want to imact their bottom line the only way is to not sail. This is happening throughout the cruise industry, check out some of the other company boards, so if you really want to impact thier bottom line choose a different style of vactaion. 

Well there are those that are adamant that cut backs are understandable given the past few years and life everywhere right now. So with that mindset, automatic gratuitie cut backs may be necessary for my bottom line as well.

Also, I keep hearing about attitude from those hard working staff. Tude gets you zip from me. But unlike a cruise line, my tips operate on an individual basis based on performance after the fact. Not assumption of good service in advance or guilt that there employer doesn't pay them enough. 

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Not a chance.  It's a cycle right now until RCG financial conditions improve, and inflation comes well under control. Remember, prior to the pandemic, just from experience the Oasis and Quantum classes MDR had tutti salad bar for breakfast and lunch which makes the present offerings in the WJ to shame.

Also. it wasn't too long ago when we took a 9 niter on Anthem to NE/Canada and on the night we left Bar Harbor, we were surprised with whole lobsters on the menu.  It was lobster day as we also got lobster lunch included in an excursion.😃

Your kidding yourself. This will never revert backwards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

Now see I like Golden Corral. I'm a lot easier to please food wise then I come off.

3 hours ago, allyfree said:

Specialty restauranta are already full and represent 10% or so of the capacity of the ship, they drovecthe people that wanted to oay for those to them years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

Yes, looks like it is on longer cruises.

I remember it from Allure in 2016 when I tried it for the first time, Back then there was no escargots nightly (or at all?).

Then from 2017 escargots started  appearing on first 4-5 days out of 7, 8-9 out of 12. From 2018 till this change I ate them every night. 🙂

You’ve cruised way more than we have, but every royal cruise we’ve done since 2012, and up until the Anthem in March 2023 had escargot every single night. I must have missed the cruises when they did not offer the escargot due to “shortages”.  I do remember the risk of that but it never came to fruition for us.  

You can see my signature for cruises that we have done with Royal.  Having escargot nightly is not a make or break cruise for us. It was nice while it lasted.  🙂  Our kids’ first cruise was in Nov 2014. My son was seven years old and over the course of a six night cruise ate around 9 appetizers of escargot believe it or not.  Escargot and shrimp cocktail was his go to dinner lol.  He was/is a healthy trim guy and it brings back fun memories thinking of he and his sisters enjoying all the adventurous and new food offerings.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

You’ve cruised way more than we have, but every royal cruise we’ve done since 2012, and up until the Anthem in March 2023 had escargot every single night. I must have missed the cruises when they did not offer the escargot due to “shortages”.  I do remember the risk of that but it never came to fruition for us.  

You can see my signature for cruises that we have done with Royal.  Having escargot nightly is not a make or break cruise for us. It was nice while it lasted.  🙂  Our kids’ first cruise was in Nov 2014. My son was seven years old and over the course of a six night cruise ate around 9 appetizers of escargot believe it or not.  Escargot and shrimp cocktail was his go to dinner lol.  He was/is a healthy trim guy and it brings back fun memories thinking of he and his sisters enjoying all the adventurous and new food offerings.  

Very interesting! I remember our very cruise from US (we moved here in mid-90s and started cruising in 2003). Our son then 11 (now 31) was so exited to see all the food when two of us got on board of Celebrity Century... I called my husband who stayed home at that time and then I turned around and found DS literally eating 4 cheeseburgers! At home we rarely went to fast food places so it was like a paradise for him. And yes... shrimp cocktail was a huge hit. At that time even Celebrity did not feature escargots daily.

We only cruised twice a year till later when our DS was out of school and maybe even college. Then I discovered how to work on some days from the ship... especially ship like Anthem! and we cruise 5  year ever since (now I do not even need to work during cruises)

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nelblu said:

The WJ can barely handle the hordes for breakfast and lunch.  Go back to some of the threads and the many complaints with the inability for Paxs getting tables during these times.

I agree, I was replying to a post that they think the not so great food in the MDR is Royals way to force everyone to buy specialty dining, which could never accommodate all passengers. The WJ could, but they would need to assign times for everyone which will never happen.  

On 3/14/2023 at 11:07 PM, dleahy4444 said:

It seems that most of the posts about the quality of the food since the new menus seem to indicate that the quality has gone down, but of course that is subjective. Considering that I’m committed to an upcoming cruise and cancelling isn’t an option, I’m hoping that the food isn’t as bad as it seems. Anyone enjoying the new menu on the Oasis? 

We sailed Symphony back in December and while we really enjoyed our meals onboard, we found the MDR to be one of the weaker meals on the entire ship. We ate most of our meals at the various restaurants onboard. While the MDR wasn't bad, and you certainly won't go hungry in the MDR, it wasn't something worth writing home about either, both the food and the service. If you're interested, we posted a full video food review from that trip. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Katems75 said:

I hate to appear so ignorant, but I don't see a 'signature'.

11 hours ago, poocher said:

Can’t see it on my phone either.

I don't know how it works on the phone, but in a regular online version (desktop/laptop) it appears under my every post (all the reviews that I've ever made are linked in the signature):

image.png.029e3268f3a08410f2163c318678f3e0.png

In any case, here is the link 🙂 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930782-oasis-april-2-9-2023-a-wonderful-cruise/

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I don't know how it works on the phone, but in a regular online version (desktop/laptop) it appears under my every post (all the reviews that I've ever made are linked in the signature):

image.png.029e3268f3a08410f2163c318678f3e0.png

In any case, here is the link 🙂 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930782-oasis-april-2-9-2023-a-wonderful-cruise/

Oh wow, I am on a laptop and NO ONE has signatures like that! I am very used to them on the DISboards so I thought I knew what you meant, it's just that no one's signature shows up at all, nor is there anything for me to click to show it...I don't have an 'expand signature' or anything.  😞

Thank you for the link!

9 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Oh wow, I am on a laptop and NO ONE has signatures like that! I am very used to them on the DISboards so I thought I knew what you meant, it's just that no one's signature shows up at all, nor is there anything for me to click to show it...I don't have an 'expand signature' or anything.  😞

Thank you for the link!

you have to turn them on. 🙂 Click on your name, click on Account Settings, click on Signature, and then turn on View other people's signatures.

image.thumb.png.63b0eb5764b0ba4ae62f0ec28ccbdd62.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I agree, I was replying to a post that they think the not so great food in the MDR is Royals way to force everyone to buy specialty dining, which could never accommodate all passengers. The WJ could, but they would need to assign times for everyone which will never happen.  

My comment was about the decline in food standards turning people off from eating in the MDR .... I foresee they will still use the MDR space but that it will be at an additional cost; leaving only WJ and whatever other outlets they have on each ship for complimentary food - such as Cafe 270, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you have to turn them on. 🙂 Click on your name, click on Account Settings, click on Signature, and then turn on View other people's signatures.

image.thumb.png.63b0eb5764b0ba4ae62f0ec28ccbdd62.png

Thank you SO much!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, allyfree said:

My comment was about the decline in food standards turning people off from eating in the MDR .... I foresee they will still use the MDR space but that it will be at an additional cost; leaving only WJ and whatever other outlets they have on each ship for complimentary food - such as Cafe 270, etc.

but MDR food is still a whole lot better than WJ...

• Like 1

There use to be an appetizer that was scallops in a sauce. It came on one of the little metal dishes with a spot for each little scallop. Does anyone know if they still have that available? It was one of my favorite things to look forward to.

1 hour ago, allyfree said:

I agree with this is well.  I feel that there is a slow push to get more and more people to pay for the upcharge restaurants at the expense of the MDR, with the goal being to phase out the MDR-type experience (i.e., full service at no extra charge) entirely.

• Like 1