En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

Morning folks,

the Captains warnings and weather forecasts have, so far, proven to be accurate.  Last night we bounced around like a cork at sea, and this morning has brought us moderately heavy seas and limited visibility.  No problem finding a seat in the Lido at breakfast, and the visible masses have certainly been reduced.  

Not only are many passengers sea sick, but we have heard (from several crew) that they also have their share of seasick staff.  I doubt that we will see any Step One shows before we get to AK.  

It is cold in the Crows Nest, so we brought up some blankets from the

pool.  Speaking of pools, they have all been drained (including the small one inside the spa).  

Mask wearing (no longer required) has fallen off in a major way, even among the crew.  The maskless and smiling Captain passed by our table in the Lido with a “good morning.”

DW and I will enjoy another relaxing sea day in the Crows Nest continuing our friendship with “Kindle.”  Time for my spicy Bloody Mary 🫠.  I have never been able to use all 15 drinks a day, but it is fun to try.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I call BS on staffing shortages,  I know crew waiting to get back on board and the delay is the cruise line trying to save money.  Try finding food on this ship (outside of room service) after 10pm.  Entertainment is laughingly bad.  My dinner last night took 20 min,  I could barely swallow before they were taking my plate away.   Cruise director?  Who?  No idea who she is other than today’s announcement for $2.99 deals in the photo gallery.  Nope  to HAL unit they get this fixed

The one aspect of this cruise that hasn’t changed is meeting nice interesting people.  Conversation,  cocktails and sleep Is the new HAL

Edited by avalon1025
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avalon1025 said:

I call BS on staffing shortages,  I know crew waiting to get back on board and the delay is the cruise line trying to save money.  

Yes. Many have found other work and/or were told they were not getting the same pay as pre shutdown. It's a business decision, poorly implemented. 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Open up that app and notify.

43 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’d for sure try the navigator app although sometimes I wonder what black hole that goes into.

Right but the app itself can sometimes be added to the list of issues.

Just received an e-mail asking about the usual, and popular, HAL Delft tiles.  We have not received any tiles on this voyage (back to back to back) or any letters about the tiles or future distribution.

That same person also asked me about the onboard laundry service and it is has excellent.  We have sent out 3 packed bags (since boarding) and all have been back by the end of the following day.

Hank

• Like 2

Getting back to this voyage and the weather,  it has occurred to me that, last night, the wind hit the 2nd highest level of any of my many cruises over more than 50 years.  The Captain told us we had winds of 60 knots (last night) which is close to Cat 1 hurricane strength (64 knots).  There may be worse to come (Captain also warned about a growing low over the Bering Sea).

So this has become somewhat of a cruise adventure for many and a nightmare for others.  Just walking around the vessel now comes with its own risk and all of us need to be very cautious.  Just taking a shower is somewhat of a challenge.  We might even ask for our gimlet in a tall glass and forego martini glasses which are not very stable.

The good news is that we do have many seasoned HAL veterans who simply deal with it.  There are also those who are having a rough time.  Today I saw a lady sitting on the corridor floor not looking so good.  But she gave me a smile and said she was locked out of her cabin (and obviously did not feel safe standing on the rocking ship).   Help was on the way in the form of our excellent steward.

Hank

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Getting back to this voyage and the weather,  it has occurred to me that, last night, the wind hit the 2nd highest level of any of my many cruises over more than 50 years.  The Captain told us we had winds of 60 knots (last night) which is close to Cat 1 hurricane strength (64 knots).  There may be worse to come (Captain also warned about a growing low over the Bering Sea).

So this has become somewhat of a cruise adventure for many and a nightmare for others.  Just walking around the vessel now comes with its own risk and all of us need to be very cautious.  Just taking a shower is somewhat of a challenge.  We might even ask for our gimlet in a tall glass and forego martini glasses which are not very stable.

The good news is that we do have many seasoned HAL veterans who simply deal with it.  There are also those who are having a rough time.  Today I saw a lady sitting on the corridor floor not looking so good.  But she gave me a smile and said she was locked out of her cabin (and obviously did not feel safe standing on the rocking ship).   Help was on the way in the form of our excellent steward.

Hank

Hope your cabin is low and center. We had an overnight storm in the Drake passage back in 2010 on our way to Antarctica, with similar conditions, but it was only for 10 hours.  Can't imagine 3 days of this torture. Worst part was the course made the Hurricane force winds hit the ship broadside which caused ship to list 11 degrees while moving through its gyrations.  Plus the wind was so strong the sliding doors to the Veranda were acting like reeds, making a vibrating noise. Couldn't sleep due to noise, gyrations and the list (fall out of bed) .  The good news, these floating boxes are designed for this weather.

Gooday,

Another relaxing sea day that finds us cruising easterly about 2100 miles

from our next port, Kodiak.  We have finally moved away from the bad storm,

seas have dropped to 4-5 meters, the pitching has almost stopped and we now have a gentle 3 degree roll under sunny skies with temperatures in the high 50s.

That is the good news as conditions are likely to worsen tonight as we turn to a more northeasterly heading.  The Captain anticipates 6 meter seas as we move towards the big low building in the   Bering Sea.  Tonight we will set the clocks back 11 hours and repeat April 28 as we near the International Date Line.

Like most cruises with lots of consecutive sea days, life seems to slow down as

most folks get into a normal routine.  For this cruise that means a week of 23 hour days.  DW and I love sea days, so this part of our cruise is just fine.

Hank

• Like 7

I now want to talk about last night’s dinner which was a very special treat for DW and myself.  Those of you that have followed my posts, over the years, know that we favor open dining at shared tables.  On this voyage, all of Our tables have been fun but last night was

extraordinary.

DW and I went into the MDR around 7:45 and were seated at my empty table

for 4.  A few moments later we were joined by a single male who turned

out to be a very successful travel

writer who founded a very well known series of travel books.  Needless to say, this independent traveler was like a

kid in a candy store.  DW asked him about his favorite place/trip which turned

out to be Africa.  We were sorry that dinner came to an end as the conversation was fascinating.  As he is traveling on here as a passenger we will respect his privacy and not post his name’during the cruise.

We have often posted that sharing tables

has given us our best memories of more than 50 years of cruising and last evening makes our top 2 list

Hank

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gunna9 said:

Hi Hank,

We’re enjoying your posts about your cruise. Can you post a photo of one of the Daily Programs or as formerly known as the What and Where?  Thank you. 

We can try

B25B204F-2D93-439C-A0B8-BDB96D7E0C0B.jpeg

74F64654-CCDD-430B-9725-4BE3F333781C.jpeg

437F4B8A-9793-4CE2-A60B-C90A7DAB9066.jpeg

• Like 2

Folks, I am again going to lay out facts.  We are finishing two sea days with several more to follow.  Billboard Onboard… dark until tomorrow. 3rd Ave West Band was dark because they were helping the so-so quality “Instrumentalist”  in the World Stage.  That left the Rolling Stone Band as the ONLY live lounge entertainment on the ship and they end at 11.

On the way to the Rolling Stone Lounge, DW dares to order Baileys on the Rocks only to be told, “we are out and will try to get you some tomorrow.”  I ordered

GlenMorangie on the Rocks, but the bottle was empty.  “Sorry sir but we will try to get more from provisions, tomorrow.

Such is the state on this ship.  Whatever the bar/beverage manager does, he/she does not stock the bars or train the bar tenders in how to stock their bars or

properly ring up sales.

For some Cheerleaders who think I sound like a broken record, after 5 Weeks Of similar problems we cannot

find a nice way to spin the facts. On this ship there is either a crisis of leadership or a big logistics problem.

And I have not even yet made an effort to deal with a $400 overcharge on an excursion.  Yes, I will get it fixed!  But not without some hassles and spending more free time dealing with one more accounting problem. Oh Well.  Tomorrow is another day.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Folks, I am again going to lay out facts.  We are finishing two sea days with several more to follow.  Billboard Onboard… dark until tomorrow. 3rd Ave West Band was dark because they were helping the so-so quality “Instrumentalist”  in the World Stage.  That left the Rolling Stone Band as the ONLY live lounge entertainment on the ship and they end at 11.

On the way to the Rolling Stone Lounge, DW dares to order Baileys on the Rocks only to be told, “we are out and will try to get you some tomorrow.”  I ordered

GlenMorangie on the Rocks, but the bottle was empty.  “Sorry sir but we will try to get more from provisions, tomorrow.

Such is the state on this ship.  Whatever the bar/beverage manager does, he/she does not stock the bars or train the bar tenders in how to stock their bars or

properly ring up sales.

For some Cheerleaders who think I sound like a broken record, after 5 Weeks Of similar problems we cannot

find a nice way to spin the facts. On this ship there is either a crisis of leadership or a big logistics problem.

And I have not even yet made an effort to deal with a $400 overcharge on an excursion.  Yes, I will get it fixed!  But not without some hassles and spending more free time dealing with one more accounting problem. Oh Well.  Tomorrow is another day.

Hank

Could those overcharges be part of the corporate strategy to whittle down the massive debt that Carnival Corporation is saddled with? Not everyone is going to be as diligent as you in finding them and then taking the time to have them corrected. Since it would be silly to assume this is only happening to you, are there massive lines of passengers demanding that overcharges be taken off their accounts?

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Could those overcharges be part of the corporate strategy to whittle down the massive debt that Carnival Corporation is saddled with? Not everyone is going to be as diligent as you in finding them and then taking the time to have them corrected. Since it would be silly to assume this is only happening to you, are there massive lines of passengers demanding that overcharges be taken off their accounts?

I think that is a stretch of credulity.  If one feels that suspicious of a cruise line one should not cruise with that cruise line. 

• Like 5

I can tell you it is possible to have a cruise without overcharges so there is something fundamentally wrong when this goes on and on.  Also if you have to deal with the front desk they don’t seem to care so it makes it worse.  If you have a concierge to do your bidding it’s a totally different experience.  Seems to me if some that always sail in suites moved down to the “cheap seats” it would give great perspective. 

On 4/27/2023 at 12:22 AM, Hlitner said:

Just received an e-mail asking about the usual, and popular, HAL Delft tiles.  We have not received any tiles on this voyage (back to back to back) or any letters about the tiles or future distribution

I did receive a tile on my bed just prior to disembarkation -- 150th Anniversary theme. 

I left it on my desk in cabin to be recycled....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I can tell you it is possible to have a cruise without overcharges so there is something fundamentally wrong when this goes on and on.  Also if you have to deal with the front desk they don’t seem to care so it makes it worse.  If you have a concierge to do your bidding it’s a totally different experience.  Seems to me if some that always sail in suites moved down to the “cheap seats” it would give great perspective. 

I sail in steerage, that is the cheap seats, and though I have never had an overcharge I have had account issues which were handled promptly.  It is a pain that I have to deal with it and  I always try the app first. 

I just read Copper 10-8’s live report from the Nieuw Amsterdam and they have a number of live entertainment choices, right from the very first night. Completely different feel than the Westerdam.

It’s concerning that 2 ships (and more) from the same cruise line could have such vastly different offerings.

Whose responsibility is this? HAL corporate or the onboard Cruise Director equivalent (I can’t recall the current name of this position)? I sincerely hope that HAL will listen to the feedback and do what it takes to ensure that every sailing offers the same expectation of quality entertainment options.

Appreciate the time you are taking @Hlitner to share your experiences with us.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think that is a stretch of credulity.  If one feels that suspicious of a cruise line one should not cruise with that cruise line. 

I hope you are right, but as Hank has pointed out numerous times all the errors seem to be overcharges. That just does not sound random.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rough weather, port cancellations, shortages, dark entertainment venues.

Can't say I'm sorry to have disembarked last Monday. 😉

Well the rest of us will miss having a second voice commenting on the cruise and the port experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4