How will cruises be affected by 5000 mile seaweed blob?

ontheweb

I've been following this for a while. Curious also.  Seems like there is odor along with the mass.  We head out to FT L. in about 2.5 weeks and not looking forward to this.

Edited by cruisegal40

Threatening tourism and the cruise industry? You aren’t thinking like a cruise line. “Attention passengers, on Tuesday we are switching from a port day in the DR to a sail-by visit  to the giant green blob!” 

• Haha 5

Seaweed has been enlarging its territory as the oceans warm for the last decade at least.  We've already been to beaches in PDC, DR, St Marteen, St Thomas, etc. where the water was inundated with the scratchy stuff, and made it miserable to enter. 

Sometimes only 1 side of an isle is affected, while tides and wind have pushed the stuff to aggregate, while another beach down the road a piece is unaffected.

However, this "blob" seems to be hyped up - if it hits Florida or Cancun, there goes the tourists dollar!

I just read predicted in FL in July..Could last a month or more..that means it will be moving from Caribbean..Scheduled to cruise Eastern Caribbean in May..we are beach goers so we don’t like to sit on the ship while in port and prefer to do beach trips…I will be watching carefully travelers comments visiting the Caribbean..pictures look disgusting and some articles say buildup on beaches could be 5 to 6 feet…tourism will definitely suffer🥲

Edited by nashville15

24 minutes ago, Donald said:

This seaweed problem is not even near the top of the very long list of reasons why one should not ever cruise in Florida or in the Caribbean.

All right, I accept your challenge.  Please list for me at least 20 reasons why one should not ever cruise in Florida or the Caribbean.  You don't have to post it here, but kindly link your list wherever you decide to put it.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

There is a possible tangent issue.  I believe that lots of seaweed can cause issues for ships with their various water intake systems.  We were once on a ship (cannot recall the vessel) where some cooling intakes were fouled by lots of seaweed.  The ship needed a few extra hours in port, so they could send down divers to clean out some intake ducts.  

Wonder if one the professional mariners who are usually around on CC can expand on this issue or non-issue.

Hank

Last time I was down at Cocoa Beach (near Port Canaveral) during a sargassum invasion, it was disgusting.  The stench was awful.  No place to put down a beach chair unless you liked the top the tide mark.  Some industrious people did rake a few paths through the stuff to get to the beach.  Add some lovebugs to that situation and it was definitely NOT pleasant.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Last time I was down at Cocoa Beach (near Port Canaveral) during a sargassum invasion, it was disgusting.  The stench was awful.  No place to put down a beach chair unless you liked the top the tide mark.  Some industrious people did rake a few paths through the stuff to get to the beach.  Add some lovebugs to that situation and it was definitely NOT pleasant.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I hear you. We were in Lauderdale by the Sea in either 21 or 20 in July…Sargussum was disgusting..Gorgeous beach and cute town, could not go in water